• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smart box/controller replacement

KansasBobcat

My M998 has the original Prestolite controller and starts perfectly every time. I have the latest box and sending unit. What do the experts think? I am tempted to keep using the old one until it dies and keep the latest one as a spare. I have not heard of any horrible problems with the Prestolite like starting on its own, etc.

TedG

Keep good batteries, brown out is bad for them. Carry a rubber hammer to keep the contactor working.

KansasBobcat

Completed installation of Nartron control unit and sensor. Worked fine: wait light came on, went off and started right up! Glow plugs no longer cycle 2-3 times after start-up. Guess I will keep old Prestilite box as a spare. My thanks to Retired war horses for advice.

sully199

You being in SA, with all the bases there, you should be able to find a mechanic on active duty that could help you out. I would call the base and ask for the number to motor-t, and then ask anyone that answers the phone, if anyone in the shop who is a HMMWV mechanic is looking for extra $. What I did was called all the recruiting offices in South Florida to see if anyone was Motor-T, found an Air Force guy who was heavy equipment mechanic. I have not needed him yet, but he is available if I need him. I own an auto repair shop here and have 2 other customers with HMMWV we are maintaining and upgrading so its good I found an "expert". You could also cantact a National Guard Unit or reserve unit.

Thank you for your reply and I value your opinion. Any tricks to installation? I know to disconnect ground (I have cutoff installed) Wish you were closer...I don't know any experts in our area.. Thanks, Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks