• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

smart box/controller replacement

KansasBobcat

My M998 has the original Prestolite controller and starts perfectly every time. I have the latest box and sending unit. What do the experts think? I am tempted to keep using the old one until it dies and keep the latest one as a spare. I have not heard of any horrible problems with the Prestolite like starting on its own, etc.

TedG

Keep good batteries, brown out is bad for them. Carry a rubber hammer to keep the contactor working.

KansasBobcat

Completed installation of Nartron control unit and sensor. Worked fine: wait light came on, went off and started right up! Glow plugs no longer cycle 2-3 times after start-up. Guess I will keep old Prestilite box as a spare. My thanks to Retired war horses for advice.

sully199

You being in SA, with all the bases there, you should be able to find a mechanic on active duty that could help you out. I would call the base and ask for the number to motor-t, and then ask anyone that answers the phone, if anyone in the shop who is a HMMWV mechanic is looking for extra $. What I did was called all the recruiting offices in South Florida to see if anyone was Motor-T, found an Air Force guy who was heavy equipment mechanic. I have not needed him yet, but he is available if I need him. I own an auto repair shop here and have 2 other customers with HMMWV we are maintaining and upgrading so its good I found an "expert". You could also cantact a National Guard Unit or reserve unit.

Thank you for your reply and I value your opinion. Any tricks to installation? I know to disconnect ground (I have cutoff installed) Wish you were closer...I don't know any experts in our area.. Thanks, Bob