• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snatch Blocks

Dodge man

At a minimum I would want to see the block rated for double the winch pulling capacity.
That's an important point! Even when using a single sheave block, the block will be carrying double the stress that the rope does. If you use a two sheave block then the load on the block is even higher. The angle between the incoming and outgoing line also affects the load on the block. The "Rigging" TM covers all of this. Unless you're well familiar with towing and rigging I strongly suggest that anyone contemplating any towing operation read and understand it first. FWIW, for my 6,000# M-37 with a 7,500# Working Load winch I bought a block rated for 24,000# load.

Also the diameter of the sheave in the block in important. A too small diameter sheave will damage the cable by bending it too sharply. The block that I bought has an 8" diameter sheave and I'm using it with 7/16" cable. Again the Rigging TM covers this in detail.

FWIW I haven't had any luck with AW Direct. Their cables are too short, too small AND too weak; even for my M-37. The stock winch cable on the M-37 is 7/16" diameter x 175' long with a working load of 7,500 pounds and AW's cables doen't come close to that. And I'd LIKE to have a 200' x 1/2" cable!

MrArmyAnt

I called warn and they said my winch will only hold 75ft of half inch line. Sad day. I found a used 20 ton McKissick snatch block on cl we will see what the guy charges.

emr

... sold em.... working on getting out by monday latest, rained out at shop today... Thank You Very Much, I will miss them, I really like collecting them over the years, It is just time they stop being wasted and get on somebodys truck, since i have no deuces anymore...Thanks

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

you want at least a 6" snatch block for a deuce and if it's any good will cost around $100. on the cheap ones, the hook might straighten out on a hard pull. everything is a crap shoot.

fasttruck

The ratio for pujlly v. cable diameter is 12:1 for cable and 3:1 for rope. 1/2" cable therefore requires a 6" sheave or pully3/4" equates to 9" etc. Hpefully the hooks, beckets, side plates etc will mastch the capacity of the cable thjat is sized for the block.

MrArmyAnt

Wait are people saying the maximum load (break) or max working load should be double the winch? I've noticed most winch wires are above wench strength, but working load is under. I just bought 100ft of dyneema 75 1.2 inch for 135 shipped.

Working loads are way lower than max and is a huge difference.

Myopic

Hi all first post here. Just thought I'd clear up some confusion. As far as rope is concerned( wire, synthetic or even polyester, the WLL( working load limit) is a percentage of the the breaking (tensile) strenght. This is a variable factor related to saftey. The WLL is no less than 3-1 (no life or limb involved) and as high as 10-1 or even higher depending on the purpose. As far as hardware is concerned, the rating is a WLL, not the break or tensile strength. What that safety factor is I am not sure..
I would assume that a snatchblock rated at 12,000# would withstand a shock load of 36,000 lbs. By the way,I know a 12k block is for jeeps and little trucks only... That's all i've got for now, I'm still reading up and saving for a duece. Happy winching!

MrArmyAnt

just got this email reply from a company that sells specifically to wreckers.

Warn recommends a 1/2" cable with 26,600 lbs. breaking strength which is probably what you have. I usually like the snatch block to have at least twice the breaking strength of the cable. I would recommend our 8 ton snatch block. It has a breaking strength of 64,000 lbs. Thank you, Kevin

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all first post here. Just thought I'd clear up some confusion. As far as rope is concerned( wire, synthetic or even polyester, the WLL( working load limit) is a percentage of the the breaking (tensile) strenght. This is a variable factor related to saftey. The WLL is no less than 3-1 (no life or limb involved) and as high as 10-1 or even higher depending on the purpose. As far as hardware is concerned, the rating is a WLL, not the break or tensile strength. What that safety factor is I am not sure..
I would assume that a snatchblock rated at 12,000# would withstand a shock load of 36,000 lbs. By the way,I know a 12k block is for jeeps and little trucks only... That's all i've got for now, I'm still reading up and saving for a duece. Happy winching!
WLL for overhead lifting is 5:1. I think WLL for winching is around 2:1.

oldMan99

I am looking for a single sheave block from a MV wrecker to be used on the 45k winch with 7/8 cable. Anybody have one? or Two?

I also have an extra double sheave block for the above winch/cable that I might be willing to trade/sell. It is BIG and HEAVY. Honestly, it is big/heavy enough that it is pretty difficult for 1 person to move more than a few feet over improved ground much less over unimproved ground or in mud/rocks/snow.

I don't have pictures of it but I can get some. It is in very good barely used condition. Best guess on weight is 100-150lbs. Shipping could be arranged but I would have to build a crate for it as no box will ever hold up.

If you have a single sheave block or are interested in my spare double, please PM me....

jesusgatos

I am looking for a single sheave block from a MV wrecker to be used on the 45k winch with 7/8 cable. Anybody have one? or Two?

I also have an extra double sheave block for the above winch/cable that I might be willing to trade/sell. It is BIG and HEAVY. Honestly, it is big/heavy enough that it is pretty difficult for 1 person to move more than a few feet over improved ground much less over unimproved ground or in mud/rocks/snow.

I don't have pictures of it but I can get some. It is in very good barely used condition. Best guess on weight is 100-150lbs. Shipping could be arranged but I would have to build a crate for it as no box will ever hold up.

If you have a single sheave block or are interested in my spare double, please PM me....
Like this one? Some good information about snatch-blocks in this thread too.

oldMan99

Stock cable size on a wrecker's 45klbs winch is 3/4 not 7/8.
Hum... ok.... well then let me "change" the parameter.... 7/8 cable like on the M916 and M920. (I know those are 7/8....)

The wrecker has 2 rear winches, the one on the boom and the one on the deck. The deck one is 45k. Are you SURE that one has 3/4 cable? 3/4 cable is not really rated for a 45k winch.

oldMan99

Like this one? Some good information about snatch-blocks in this thread too.

Pretty close but not exactly.... Actually I guess I accidentally lied. I do have 3 pics of the block, I just did not realize it until just a minute ago.... There is nothing in the picture to scale by though. Just guessing (Till I can go measure it) end to end it is probably 24-30" long.

This (Pictures below) is the one I have. I am looking for one like it but a single....

EDITED TO ADD: 24" from tip of shackle to bottom of sheave cover. 115 pounds. (Added another picture as well)

Gimpy: Thanks.... I just assumed that since it is a 45k it had the same size cable as the 916/920 45k. If you have the TM look it up and see what size it says is supposed to be on that winch, could be somebody at some time changed it before you owned it.

According to this chart: Standard 6 x 19 and 6 x 36 Classification Rope :: Certified Slings Rigging & Contractor Supply :: Reference Guide

The 3/4 is rated to 58.8k pounds and the 7/8 is rated to 79.6k pounds. Obviously both are above the 45k rating on the winch but the 7/8 gives a much higher safety factor. And if you have something really big that is really stuck and your pushing that winch to the limits, in my mind, the more safety factor the better..... Of course the 3/4 cable is much lighter and easier to work with and you can fit more of it on the spool.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks