• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snorkel idea

Chaski

I like it.

If someone was going to go full tilt and submerge the engine I'd suggest one of the rubber injection pump wraps like on a HMMWV. It acts as a thermal insulator so if you submerge the injection pump you don't cool the head onto the rotor and sieze it. They are kinda neat anyway and fasten with a hose clamp.

tequilaiam

I think it is a great improvement. I would probably get an inline air filter and an intake off a 6.5 turbo so everything is clamped tight if I was going to drown it on a regular basis. I think the vast majority of hydrolocks occur because you are playing around in water/mud when your stomach hits the throat due to the headlights going under unexpectedly.

Funny you say that: My buddy just killed his tricked out Rubicon after hitting a deep puddle at speed on the trail. I don't know how deep it was but he said it was shallower than water he's forded before. No more than knee deep. He used to snicker at snorkels but now he's getting one as soon as he replaces the head on his jeep.

Then my mother in law killed her new toyota van in a walmart parking lot after a down pour...no more than ankle deep puddle.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son had a rice burner honda with an aftermarket air cleaner tucked behind the front bumper. After driving though a puddle he was wondering why he had a hole in the side of the block. Seems the connecting rod didn't like having the extra water inside the cylinder.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son had a rice burner honda with an aftermarket air cleaner tucked behind the front bumper. After driving though a puddle he was wondering why he had a hole in the side of the block. Seems the connecting rod didn't like having the extra water inside the cylinder.
We had a guy try a scam insurance claim that way. Said he drove through some deep water and hydrolocked the engine. Sure enough there was water in the cylinder but the air intake was still dusty. When we had the water tested it turned out to be tap water. We told him next time he should put the hose in the air intake not the injector.

K9Vic

The current model LJ Jeeps (Rubicon and non-Rubicon) do not have a very safe intake system for water and have been known to hydro-lock from not very deep water. The trail rated does not mean it is water rated, just that it passed a suspension test. I have seen many engines get locked due to water at the off road park, one was a friend of mine were the water was maybe 1-2 ft deep. He splashed it going in and there is the problem, you have to take it slow with these Jeeps.

This is what it looked like taking the filter off, there are air vents at the bottom that just suck up the water and send it to the engine.

Jeep-Intake-Hydrolock.jpg

Keith_J

For looks only, the torque converter will add a bunch of drag unless you seal that. Plus the vents for transfer and axles. Then there is the cooling fan, alternators and power steering pump.

Many don't realize fording ops for military vehicles is more than plugging the bell housing and pulling the knob, it also required removing fan belts. Then a complete lube and service by wrench spinners.

cucvrus

Good rule if the truck can't swim keep it out of the water. These are trucks not boats. You are only creating tons and hours of service work running any vehicle in mud and water. Been there done that on both sides. i think the safe fording depth on a CUCV is 16 inches? Not sure but I know it isn't much. There is much more to worry about then water in the air cleaner. that is definitely the straw that will break the 6.2 back one. But only a drop in the bucket to the other damage. Get a cheap S10 or something that has no value and have at it. No loss there.

tequilaiam

I think it is a great improvement. I would probably get an inline air filter and an intake off a 6.5 turbo so everything is clamped tight if I was going to drown it on a regular basis. I think the vast majority of hydrolocks occur because you are playing around in water/mud when your stomach hits the throat due to the headlights going under unexpectedly.
I'm looking for this type of solution now. I am using a universal cone type filter on my turbo attahced to one of these http://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=9405 for the CDR.

I saw several different types of 3" intake parts from these guys at the local shop. Different tube lengths and bends with O-rings and clamps but not a sealed box to put a filter.

I was debating using a paint can to house an inline filter and a snorkel eventually.

Drock

We had a guy try a scam insurance claim that way. Said he drove through some deep water and hydrolocked the engine. Sure enough there was water in the cylinder but the air intake was still dusty. When we had the water tested it turned out to be tap water. We told him next time he should put the hose in the air intake not the injector.
My high school job was working at ah Jiffy lube. Amongst other crazy stories from working there, we had ah little old lady DRIVE in one day that had poured one or more gallons of water into her crank case thinking it was the radiator. It was running rough, BUT it was running?:goodjob:. We changed the oil + water ,and she drove off....

Skinny

I know someone sells an aftermarket in line air filter.

I would probably go hunting in a junkyard first for an OEM one. Ford and I think BMW used a lot of cylindrical ait filter housings.

acesneights1

I have driven my CUCV through about 3 ft of muddy water BUT my truck is lifted, All the vent hoses are ran up into the engine bay and just below the hood. I also have a standard shift with a ceramic clutch and I sealed the bellhousing as best I could with snot. I also have mudflaps all over the underside of the truck to prevent water from splashing up onto the engine.
I still had to repack the front wheel bearings and alot of cleaning. . 1 year later I am still finding mud in places I didn't think it would get.
Also the starter acted up afterwards but eventually was ok. I would say if you set it up right a CUCV can run about up the bottom of the engine fan. Once the engine fan hits water I would say you will have issues.
That said I have wanted a snorkel for awhile not for fording but to get cool air to the turbo.
It has always amazed me with all the popularity of Square body Chevys, that no one makes a snorkel...

Last edited:

usmcpatriot

Bro, lots of people think that a snorkel is for,"just" water. My main reason for a snorkel was for heavy particulates in ambient air. CUCV where not made to ford past specs. Granted, a lift, taller tires would help greatly, but caution is well advised! See my pics on my snorkel setup, on the cheap!

bo911miller

Do you have any pictures on how you attached the top mast? Did you attach the snorkel to the windshield frame or the door jamb

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the military does deep fording, it is normally at less than 10 mph and to be safe, less than 5 mph. Best to have two ground pounders dismount and walk 10 feet in front of your bumper, one on each side (where the wheels will be going). If either one disappears, stop! Even then, there will be a lot of maintenance to be done when you get back to your AO.

MarcusOReallyus

When the military does deep fording, it is normally at less than 10 mph and to be safe, less than 5 mph. Best to have two ground pounders dismount and walk 10 feet in front of your bumper, one on each side (where the wheels will be going). If either one disappears, stop!

What's the correct maintenance procedure for a disappeared ground pounder? :mrgreen:

Skinny

Shouldn't ground pounders be tethered to prevent loss??? :)

I personally despise 90% of Land Rover (LR, RRC, and Defender), Land Cruiser, and Mercedes (encapsulates G-Wagen and Unimog) owners because each party thinks that they own the greatest thing in the world and I've personally worked on 2/3rds of those platforms. None of them will ever miss an opportunity to sit down and tell you why they (the human being) are superior for owning one. It's not the equipment but rather the elitist behind the wheel who decided that it makes them the best off roader the world has seen. For this reason I usually have blasted past most of them on the trail in my mini truck while they are discussing 'proper' winch techniques and billet equipment purchases. Regardless of which one you choose, those trucks typically have been all over the world so they really are ALL great pieces of equipment which is why I like them so much. I have to hand it to Land Rover that the events they USED to put on like Camel Trophy really showcased how something pretty much stock can just simply dominate with the right people. All of this before it went to the fru fru Orange G4 competition. Comparing them, it would be like going from a sniper showdown to a knitting competition. Either way, simply search on YouTube to see them in action, it's quite impressive.

That rant was just a round about way of getting to the real reasons snorkels are installed and putting a Land Rover video up. Fording and lowering dust intake...fast forward to about 7:55 on the video.
http://youtu.be/9bIReIRmwck?t=7m55s

Of course these old rigs were all one wire diesels so that certainly helps :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks