• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I called Faria Beede today...

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and the chap on the other end of the phone informed me that 'at this time, we are no longer providing quotes for military gauges'. I was referred to another contact in the same firm, based in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Just an FYI to those looking. This is gonna suck for us who need these kinds of parts with regularity (I need about 2-3 oil pressure gauges at the moment). Will advise if I get more info from them, or if they change course.

csheath

I imagine it won't be much problem getting a compatible VDO or some other brand replacement.

Bmxenbrett

Do you have the sensor spec at a specific pressure? There are many 24v gauges sold becids the mil spec ones.

csheath

What you may have to do is replace sending units and gauge to make them function properly. When I was trying to sort out my temp gauge I found a 24v VDO that would fit. I called them and they gave me a part number for the matching sender with an 1/8" thread.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to get a bit of time to swap the gauge out with a known working unit, to at least see if we are dealing with the gauge itself or not. Time is more valuable than gold around these parts.

robson1015

I don't get the logic of the military vendors. The military sells their outdated units to the public and the vendors won't sell the parts at a reasonable price or even at all. As the generators and other equipment is made available for public sale, there is a need for all these surplus parts. You would think that the vendors with a huge surplus of parts would want to unload them.....

Zed254

This may work:
Datcon - Oil Pressure Gauge 0-80 PSI 24V - 101574. Available here:
http://www.partdeal.com/datcon-oil-pressure-gauge-0-80-psi-24v-101574.html

Logic: I looked in TM-9-6115-642-24P on P 74/152 to find model number of sender = 16476 02504 .TRANSMITTER,PRESSUR. Search on this showed DATCON as producer. Search that and http://www.partdeal.com/datcon-oil-pressure-sender-80-psi-02504-00.html showed these specs:
Specifications:
Scale0-80 PSI/ 0-5 bar
Ohms
240-33.5
Thread"1/8""-27"
GroundCommon
Terminal10-32 Stud

The resistance specs. of the sender match those of the Datcon gauge. They also match the oil pressure sender from my notes: Stewart Warner Model 279A as sold by Summit Racing.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Zed. So silly question... are the sender and gauge 'paired', meaning if one is bad they both have to be swapped?

Zed254

Not in my experience and my 'experience' is limited to the Water Temp gauge. I needed a gauge and bought one that 'looked about right'. Ours are 240F and I bought a gauge with a 280F range. It worked, just not accurately. I then paid attention to details, researched the ohms on our Water Temp sender and was able to find a workable gauge by matching the ohms range of the gauge.

The sender is definitely matched to the gauge by the ohm range. That is why in your case I focused on the ohms specs of the oil pressure sender and the gauge. You will need to do some troubleshooting to find out what has crapped out - the gauge or the sender - and replace what's broke.

And our gauges are 24 volt.....

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I have at least 1 known good gauge here, that I intended on passing around through a couple sets that the oil gauge is registering nil. Thanks for the links though!

Zed254

Look for broken wires, too. My 802 had a 'bad' oil pressure gauge that I traced to broken oil pressure switch wires. I repaired them and it worked for awhile....until it broke again: my 802 vibrated quite a bit when I first bought it. I added some length to the wires the second time I repaired them to compensate for vibration and adjusted the fuel injectors as taught to me by the SS forum and the gauge became 'good' again. Check the wires........

Demoh

Yeah I have at least 1 known good gauge here, that I intended on passing around through a couple sets that the oil gauge is registering nil. Thanks for the links though!
Keep this in mind: Ive passed 2 physical gauges around to sets Teed of of the set (permanent mod of mine) and have seen some variation of the electronic gauges. Some are spot on, some are 5psi off. I think I even had 1 that was even more off.

I havent done any resistance testing or bench testing, this is just as I moved my physical gauge around to different units.

Triton

While we are speaking of gauges on my 803 temperature gauge I think the gauge needs to display a broader range. If I glance at my gauge when the unit is a it's operating temperature the needle looks very close to being hot and at the gauges max reading. I would like to have a gauge that I can see if the temp is creeping up before it looks like its pegged. Hope that makes sense!

aleigh

I don't get the logic of the military vendors. The military sells their outdated units to the public and the vendors won't sell the parts at a reasonable price or even at all. As the generators and other equipment is made available for public sale, there is a need for all these surplus parts. You would think that the vendors with a huge surplus of parts would want to unload them.....
They probably figure that if every tom, dick, and harry calls them up and only ever orders 1 or 2 little things, they'll lose money. These are companies accustomed to monetizing huge contracts, not over the counter sales. If OP showed up and wanted 2000 gauges I bet it would be a different story...

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do understand how the procurement side works, as I sell my own products to defense contractors every day. I make mention of it here in the forum purely as an FYI, as they do publish a crossover guide on their website. If they are ramping down or out of the gauge business for these sets, perhaps they should consider removing the documentation as well (they said NO quoting on military gauges). They were obviously being harrased by a lot of folks out of the wood work about a recently released quote schedule, that everyone with a thumb and an ear were inquiring about pricing on (we get the same thing when our NSNs hit for any quotation).