• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I want to buy a HMMWV.....

NormB

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :) I rode in a July 4th parade in a friend's HMMWV. He didn't have the insulation on the tunnel. Air temperature was 93 degrees. Engine temperature was 185+. My feet were ROASTING in the passenger front seat. I advise you, regardless of which model you purchase, that you either buy a HMMWV that has the insulation, or you buy the insulation kit.
Anyone know off-hand where/how one can buy an insulation "kit"?

I'm picking up a '92 HMMWV later today and there's just two pieces of insulation intact - LH/RH tunnel by driver/pax.

I've looked around on the web for a "kit" and so far am only finding bits and pieces, piecemeal, some cheaper than dirt, some pricey, a floor mat here, a floor mat there, but no "kit" which would be ideal.

Those parts get trashed fairly often, I figure there's got to be an entire warehouse somewhere FULL of "kits".

Don't think it'll be a problem right now, but would like to have this done before next summer.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

L1A1

Considering an M998

Hey
I'm considering the purchase of an M998 and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some threads on here (posting links would really help) so I can arm myself with information in what to look for & what kinds of questions to ask the seller.

I've been reading through the stickys at the top of this forum, I'm asking for reccommended threads to save from having to wade through 101 pages of threads that may or may not have usful info. Thanks.

Matt

L1A1

NO. I was asking for a head's up as to which threads would be worth looking at. Someone might post "there's a thread about pre-purchase inspection you might want to look at" or " here's a link to my thread on issues I've had with my M..." Understand?

Matt

BLK HMMWV

Well I'd definitely recommend reading all the sticky's at the top of the HMMWV section.
But you also need to ask yourself:
why do you want one.? what do you plan on doing with it ? and how much money do you have to throw at it?
Are you a good mechanic? Like to work on automobiles ?
Is it to just scratch an itch so to speak
Because it can and will become a full blown disease once you buy one.
If you don't plan on spending a lot of time working on it yourself don't buy one.
Everything about them will cost you money and if your not a wrench it will cost you more money.

If money is no object then buy one that's already restored.
In a nut shell what I'm trying to say is read up on everything in the 101 pages of threads.
You may decide you don't really want one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks