• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So my deuce came with Michelin radials...

tsmall07

...but it has split ring wheels (at least in the front). I thought you couldn't run split ring wheels with radials. Am I wrong? Does this mean my radials have tubes in them? :?::roll:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...but it has split ring wheels (at least in the front). I thought you couldn't run split ring wheels with radials. Am I wrong? Does this mean my radials have tubes in them? :?::roll:
Yes, yes...and you need to take them off immediately....and put them on a pallet and send them to me! :twisted:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is impossible to use tubeless tires of any type with split rims. There is nothing wrong with using radial tires with split rims, but they must have tubes. You will find that your radials have tubes.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sorry to bust your bubble guys, but you can put tubeless radials on split ring wheels IF the wheel is designed for tubeless like the m-757, m-656. they came tubeless. of course this is a very rare example, but never say never!!

Rene M

If your " M35" is a on road truck you may want to check the law. In Texas it is illegal to run mixed tires " radials and bias ply" In VA??? no clue.

blacktop

I have checked the profile of the bead on a NDT and A radial xl with a profile gauge and they are the same shape , I should have take pictures I know. With radial tubes thay work fine.

Last edited:

jollyroger

I am proly gonna get slaughtered for this but I have the 395-80R20 Michelins on my deuce with the standard snap ring rims and........bias 9.00-20 tubes. I could not get 14.00 radial tubes when I put the tires/wheels together this summer. I asked a bunch of truck drivers I know and their tire repair/suppliers. They said to just run what I got and keep an eye on the tire pressures. Aired up to 75 on the highway and down to 15 off road. Empty and with a load. So far, knock on wood, no problems.

Now that I have said it.....Commence firing, fire at will. :grin:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry to bust your bubble guys, but you can put tubeless radials on split ring wheels IF the wheel is designed for tubeless like the m-757, m-656. they came tubeless. of course this is a very rare example, but never say never!!

Also the M651 and M792 Gama Goat.

When I had NOS tires changed over on my Gama Goat, at my local tire shop, the guy that has been changing tires there for 30+ years said, "no way you have tubeless tires". After he did the first one he said, "You were right, I have never seen that before!" I said, me either!:wink:

When using tubes in a radial tire, you must use a radial tube.

When using a tube in a bias tire, you can use either a bias ,or radial(more expensive) tube.

Never use a bias tube in a radial tire!

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

Tube type radials are perfectly fine.

The flat based with lock ring(s) tube type wheels encountered on the M-35 and semi trucks are called "multi-piece" wheels. "Split rims/wheels" are a different animal. If you call a tire shop and say you want a split rim serviced they will probably hang up on you.

Radial, tube type truck tires have been in use since the 70's. Radial tires should be used with radial tubes which are designed to handle the increased sidewall flexing.

There are multi-piece lock ring wheels designed for tubeless tires. These are usually seen on earth moving equipment, These generally require the use of large o-rings to seal the air in the wheel.

Regards

Jim

(5 years and one near death experience in a truck stop tire shop)

NMC_EXP

I am proly gonna get slaughtered for this but I have the 395-80R20 Michelins on my deuce with the standard snap ring rims and........bias 9.00-20 tubes. I could not get 14.00 radial tubes when I put the tires/wheels together this summer. I asked a bunch of truck drivers I know and their tire repair/suppliers. They said to just run what I got and keep an eye on the tire pressures. Aired up to 75 on the highway and down to 15 off road. Empty and with a load. So far, knock on wood, no problems.

Now that I have said it.....Commence firing, fire at will. :grin:
The 9.00 tube is gonna be stretched thin to fill that tire. That plus all the friction between the tube and tire in the sidewall area will equal a short life expectancy for the tube.

If I was you I'd keep looking for some bigger tubes.

Regards

Jim

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using bias tubes in radial tires will eventually result in a blowout for the previously mentioned reasons - just a matter of time. You should change them!

rlwm211

In the "good ole' days" when radials were a "novel" idea for trucks, they were mounted on the typical split rims (which were Standard Issue in the day) using radial tubes.

It has only been in the last 20 years or so that truck rims have gone mostly tubeless-non split rim. Back in the day, I can remember that pretty much ALL 16" rims were split rims, but I am surely dating myself. The 16.5" tire size were some of the first tubeless rims offered on 3/4 and one tons.

As it was pointed out, mixing bias ply with Radial ply can be dangerous and may be illegal depending on your jurisdiction and usage.

Just my two cents

RL

tsmall07

I am just annoyed I have split ring wheels and I'd never heard of a radial with a tube. I thought radial meant "no tube". :grin:

If your " M35" is a on road truck you may want to check the law. In Texas it is illegal to run mixed tires " radials and bias ply" In VA??? no clue.
I have radials all around, including the spare. I just wasn't sure if the rears were split ring because I haven't looked close and the ring would be on the inside of the duals. I assume they are the same type of wheel as the front. I'll have to save for some different wheels when I need new tires. My tires are brand new so I don't have to worry about it for a while.:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks