• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a tree company. Pull equipment and use it as a dump truck. It does the job but lags when pulling equipment and loaded in the bed. Have heard governor springs, turning fuel up and advancing the timing will give it some wake up and not be to harsh on the drivetrain. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I think your results will be similar to these -

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?172759-6CTA8-3-engine-rebuild-for-Sur-M%F3vil

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correlation doesn't prove causation, but it certainly suggests it don't you think? I watch with interest to see what he finds when he disassembles the engine.

What's your plan for the transmission? Just hope it doesn't fail?

Turning up an empty unloaded truck that is driven on flat ground is a far cry from turning up a truck that will be used loaded and towing in hilly terrain. It is far easier to melt pistons loaded and towing...

Whatever you do, and whatever the results, post it up. I'm interested in any and all relevant data. .

Ecscnvb

Correlation doesn't prove causation, but it certainly suggests it don't you think? I watch with interest to see what he finds when he disassembles the engine.

What's your plan for the transmission? Just hope it doesn't fail?

Turning up an empty unloaded truck that is driven on flat ground is a far cry from turning up a truck that will be used loaded and towing in hilly terrain. It is far easier to melt pistons loaded and towing...

Whatever you do, and whatever the results, post it up. I'm interested in any and all relevant data. .
In va beach, so flat land. Loaded and pulling around 14000#. Might leave it alone till I can drop new motor tranny and tcase in it. Not sure now...

check58

Have a tree company. Pull equipment and use it as a dump truck. It does the job but lags when pulling equipment and loaded in the bed. Have heard governor springs, turning fuel up and advancing the timing will give it some wake up and not be to harsh on the drivetrain. What do you think?

When you say it lags, what are you comparing it to, and what is the drive line in the comparison vehicle?

74M35A2

In va beach, so flat land. Loaded and pulling around 14000#. Might leave it alone till I can drop new motor tranny and tcase in it. Not sure now...

Start a new thread. Post your results as mentioned so we can create a library of knowledge.

Mos68x

Especially climbing up bridges. Would just like a little more skinny pedal.

That was the whole reason I added a little more excess fuel in the pump, other than that it has been a good truck. I was talking to BD Diesel to look into a turbo replacement that would spool faster and still have the same HP levels. I’m not looking to hot dog my truck, I just want it to spool a bit faster so I’m not billowing coal for forever while trying to start from a stop on a hill.

Mos68x

Don’t you first need to figure out how to torque the rocker arm hardware to spec?
Lol yeah, just look on quickserve! 41ft-lbs for those two bolts that came loose on me, now I just need to do the valve lash on the motor and I can put the cover back in place. Of course it took me half the day just to find my 10mm 12pt socket lol

74M35A2

Check em’ all while you are there, hate to see more carnage pics 2 weeks from now. Your girlfriend was probably texting you undy pics right before you got to that bolt set, and you skipped over it when you put the phone down. I don’t thread bolts in all the way by hand anymore just for that reason (hoping for nudy pics to roll in, but it never seems to happen).

Last edited:

Mos68x

Check em’ all while you are there, hate to see more carnage pics 2 weeks from now. Your girlfriend was probably texting you undy pics right before you got to that bolt set, and you skipped over it when you put the phone down. I don’t thread bolts in all the way by hand anymore just for that reason (hoping for nudy pics to roll in, but it never seems to happen).
I wish that were the case, but I never had the valve cover off before at all so I have no idea how those two bolts came loose in the first place. But I did check them all again, just in case. I also don’t thread bolts all the way in for that same reason. That way, if I get pulled away from task for whatever reason I know which bolts need to be torqued.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Your stuff is broke also? This is supposed to be a power thread. Do we need to start a carnage thread? I could go first with some jumped dog bones, maybe a wire harness that had some spontaneous combustion going on...

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished the 66 pages of this (at work) woohoo. Had to restart since the last time I started was toooo long ago. I think I have come full circle as I think things at the end sounded like the start. Great ideas. Great camaraderie. I sit here laughing out loud, at work, at things on this forum. People I work with think i'm nuts now with my new found hobby. All they see is this forum up in my spare time. Guess I need to get busy on everything I have learned. Thanks all! 74M You were the one that got me home (on the phone) in the 923. Now I just keep adding and when I have a worry, I just jump in and do it. Whats the worst that can happen? Do it again until its right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks