• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

Hawssie

I remember seeing way back in this thread where another member had made a tool out of a socket where he cut it down to where it had 2 slots sticking out. I bet he has the same nut as you. I would go back and take a look at his homemade tool for reference. By the way my idle didn't change at all, but I only did the back adjustment so far. I wonder if that is typical for only doing the rear?

nevrenufhp

I remember seeing way back in this thread where another member had made a tool out of a socket where he cut it down to where it had 2 slots sticking out. I bet he has the same nut as you. I would go back and take a look at his homemade tool for reference. By the way my idle didn't change at all, but I only did the back adjustment so far. I wonder if that is typical for only doing the rear?
The idle speed should not change at all. The only adjustment that changes it is the gov springs.

m934jon

I just recived my my new straight pipe exuast from TMG on friday for my m923a2 just installed over the weekend took it up the grade go to my house and what a differance in egt's lowerd it over 100deg cant wait to see what it drops when i drive up the bigger grade.
the egt's got pretty high after fuel mod. had to watch the tempature going up the grade to my house now i can climb the grade no problem. so if you did the fuel mod look in to getting a straight pipe it really helped me drop my egts i never post just lerk but i thought i would share my findings

Last edited:

bjsmith

So far I just did gov springs. Mine has straight pipe that exits at rear tires. I also have Egt gauge that I need to install soon to.

MtnSnow

Getting ready to do the fueling mods...When doing the tightening of the governor springs how is everyone turning over the motor?

MtnSnow

Thanks I'm planning on turning it up just a touch this coming weekend (1&1/2 full turns on the top screw and plan on going 2 clicks on the springs).

Scott88M

I'm picking my truck up Friday I'm already excited to do some of these mods. Although I think I'll stick to just the screw on top and star wheel, I might mess with the gov springs eventually but seems like just those 2 might be enough to make me happy....of course depends on how much of a dog my truck is.

Dead Reckoning

Turned up my pump 4 turns..... WoW what a difference. My lightened 923 used to take 2+ seconds to spool up taking off. Now it takes off instantly, and buries the speedometer quickly without the pedal down all the way. Thanks guys!

Hawssie

I watched the video of the exhaust and I tell you here in the Ca. Bay area they would probably arrest you for that! Especially under no load. We now have to smog out light duty diesel trucks (the HD trucks have been under attack for a while) and one of the tests is reving up the motor to 2500 rpm and letting it drop consecutively 3 times and if it smokes so much you don't pass. They don't want to see any of that beautiful black smoke. By the way what did I miss regarding hand turning the motor over, is this for a timing adjustment?

k5ontherocks

I watched the video of the exhaust and I tell you here in the Ca. Bay area they would probably arrest you for that! Especially under no load. We now have to smog out light duty diesel trucks (the HD trucks have been under attack for a while) and one of the tests is reving up the motor to 2500 rpm and letting it drop consecutively 3 times and if it smokes so much you don't pass. They don't want to see any of that beautiful black smoke. By the way what did I miss regarding hand turning the motor over, is this for a timing adjustment?
The hand rotating of the engine with a breaker bar is for adjusting the gov springs in the injection pump. Once you take off the big plug on the side of the pump you have to turn the engine over to line up the springs with that hole to make the adjustments.
So far, no worries around the midwest of any harassment from the law over the exhaust smoking. So far....

ClarkeF

Four turns, five turns - which adjustments are you making? The rear 10mm/14mm nut under the cover? The top screw? I'm assuming it isn't the governor springs since you mention turns not clicks.

thanks in advance for more specifics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks