• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

grendel

Discoball, just suck it up and do it already. You've been talking about this for more than a year.

Come drive my truck, before I do more to it. Right now, it's stock hard parts with timing and fuel adjustments, next step will be nozzles, different gov springs, a blue bird bus air charge cooler, getting rid of the A2A intake... like we did on the mil 6CTA that went into that Diamond T last year.

74M35A2

So far I have done the 4k springs, cranked the fuel, straight pipe, air cleaner baffle removed, Mrap radiator with top mount Intercooler, built a custom intake the get rid of the aftercooler, and the plumbing from the turbo to intercooler to intake is all 4" except for the short section of elbow coming off the turbo to the intercooler. The intercooler made a huge difference on egt's but I can still push them up if I'm cranking on it. I try not to get over 1250 on a hard pull. next step is 5" exhaust, bigger turbo, and bump up the timing. I'm doing the same mods to a buddies truck right now but it's getting the bigger exhaust and bigger turbo now.
Way cool. Any chance you could assess the effect of each? For example, the 5.9L 4k gsk maxes out at what on the 8.3L, and how high have you run it so far? Thanks.

74M35A2

Discoball, just suck it up and do it already. You've been talking about this for more than a year.

Come drive my truck, before I do more to it. Right now, it's stock hard parts with timing and fuel adjustments, next step will be nozzles, different gov springs, a blue bird bus air charge cooler, getting rid of the A2A intake... like we did on the mil 6CTA that went into that Diamond T last year.
You're absolutely right. I've been too busy designing, building, and shipping the 8.3L A/C bracket kits that everybody loves. I already have the full size Volvo p/n 8181250 charge air cooler (4xdesign did an amazing job on this), 5.9L 4k gsk kit, and the hi-po nozzles are on order (purchased from NEVRENUFHP). I sent in spare injectors, so hopefully just plug-and-play to change over. I heard these injector seize in their bores, so I will soak them in WD-40 for a week, and then loosen their clamps and crank/fire the engine in an attempt to unseat them. I know, all talk...

Last edited:

Ddmk18

With the 4K springs I have spun it up to 2900-3000 but there's not enough air up at that range to make any power I would normally run mine to 26-2700 pulling mountains but my egts would get hot quick but i wasn't intercooler.

74M35A2

With the 4K springs I have spun it up to 2900-3000 but there's not enough air up at that range to make any power I would normally run mine to 26-2700 pulling mountains but my egts would get hot quick but i wasn't intercooler.
Helpful, thanks.

74M35A2

Pipe dreams-- ask him when his back window broke. Months ago, still has no glass in it! Get some o that starter boy.
Proof in the pudding. Both stone throwers have my A/C brackets. Typically when you give someone enough rope, they hang themselves.

Let's just let that sit and marinate for a while, I'll come back to it after a few Corona's later tonight.

infidel got me

I have plenty of stones and to throw playa-- I've had my a/c bracket as long as your winder has been out. I'm marinating my bracket from that rope that I have enough of. Slip someone a roofie pudding pop boy and maybe your back window will be put in. Get some more-----reloading!

grendel

Yep, hard to see how we're working a pipe dream... all my brackets are on, I have a rear air ride, turned up motor, LED lights and a bunch of other stuff, including 4 other projects in the time you've been talking about this. :)

So, Discoball, when do you stop talking and start turning up?

Not feeling very hung by the neck, but hung between the legs. :)

74M35A2

I'm collecting parts for my charge air cooler install. Just ordered a used intake cover. Don't want the work of gutting the aftercooler, plus wanted a curved transition into the head. This one looks 4" ready. If not, it will be from the curved elbow I will make for it. They did include the elbow it came with.

Attachments

74M35A2

This style is a little easier to find for anybody wanting to do the same, goes for about $100 used. I believe one member used this and simply cut amd re-welded the elbow at the rotation angle desired.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tornadogt

I'm collecting parts for my charge air cooler install. Just ordered a used intake cover. Don't want the work of gutting the aftercooler, plus wanted a curved transition into the head. This one looks 4" ready. If not, it will be from the curved elbow I will make for it. They did include the elbow it came with.
Nice any idea what it came off of or a part number???

74M35A2

Nice any idea what it came off of or a part number???
I don't. I have days into finding them. All that is shown is casting numbers, and that does about nothing. I'm trying to get the engine serial numbers they came off of, then we can use Quickserve to find the part numbers, but nothing yet. It was all the way down to using heavy truck part web search programs, seeing their listings with no pictures, and then calling and asking them to send pics. Pain in the elbow (family version here), but by 4:55pm I had secured the one I was looking for, the 4" diameter, 8 bolt thick flange one.

Last edited:

grendel

I also have another one of these coming. Charge air cooler that fits in front of the radiator, without moving it... Can use the AC condenser, too.

12065678_10205889189443646_8305504054215164211_n.jpg

With the intake, my air side should be good to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks