• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

SCRAP

curious to who has fiddled with thier p pump cummins 8.3, and what they did to get a little more umph to the wheels. I know these trucks can handle it, the trans is tough , and the motors are even more robust. Some have said the pump is similar to the 5.9 pump, and some have said its totally different. any opinions?

Coldfusion21

Its a 8.3L in a big truck don't expect much from it.
I believe these are very similar to the 5.9 motors in that mods are available and there's lots of cheap/free hp to be had with the rights stuff. Some guys get crazy hp out of those little 5.9's too, so with the right mods I bet that 8.3 will go just fine.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cummins 8.3 6cta engines are severly derated. In a motor home I've seen them as high as 325hp from the factory. They are very capable of making BIG numbers in HP and longevity. The 8.3 on a few boat sites with ratings as high as 475hp, all before the electronics of course their cooling systems were a little bigger.. Ocean sized.

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

cool site!
Yeah, the 8.3 shares nearly the same pump as a 5.9. Not all do, and that's where you need to look. Make sure it's a P-pump, and not the electronic junk.
Mods are simple. Grind down the fuel plate flat, and install it full forward. Hike up the timing to around 17-19*, and buy a set of 3k gov springs($100). Depending on the pump it has, you can see up to around 360hp, which is a grunt of tork at around 1100 pounds.

SCRAP

Thanks neverenufhp, now that i know more about the pump, who can chime in and tell me how thier truck handles after a bump in rpm and hp, There has to be someone on this forum who has tinkered with thier A2 8.3

nevrenufhp

I can tell you about what it does to a DT466 with nearly the same pump. I did a #0 plate, tightened the gov springs, and hiked the timing to 22*. Keep in mind, this truck weighs just over 27k pounds in the vids, so it wont seem too fast. I do say, it will run like you think it should have from the factory. It just makes a better driving experience. The 8.3's respond even more to the freebie mods, because the pump has bigger plungers than the mechanical DT466s.
DT466 IH, 0 to 56mph - YouTube
hitting governer, DT466 - YouTube

SCRAP

So no one on this entire forum has fiddled with thier a2 trucks motor for more power? I was hoping someone would chime in with their experiences on the subject.

Flat Black

talk to a diesel shop like Scheid in Indiana. CTAs have been used in MDTs and many other applications for years now. Just like the 5.9, there are mechanical versions and electronic versions. Two valve per cylinder motors and four valve per cylinder motors.

They are very reliable engines when built/tune/driven properly (read: anything can be abused or broken).

You dont really "need" a huge amount of power in a deuce or a 5 ton, but a CTA motor could easily make 700hp and near 2000 pound feet of torque with intake, exhaust, injector and turbo mods, not going into the motor at all. This is equivalent to about 475 HP from a 5.9, which any builder/tuner familiar with that engine, will tell you is pretty easy to do. Heck, the new 6.7 motors are 400hp stock and hit 600 with a chip, intake and exhaust.

The CTA modifications are not as well known as those of the mechanical 5.9, but they are very similar in nature. Some options are: more fuel at pump, marine or larger injectors, larger turbo, intake and exhaust, advance timing, Air Dog or Fass, install gauges to make sure you dont blow anything up in engine or trans.

The power you make is only limited by your time to research, work on your truck and the size of your wallet. You can do lots of stuff for cheap or free as noted in other posts.

Happy tuning and keep us posted.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the C in the military trucks had a Bosch MW or A pump, not the P. Cummins didn't start using the P/RQVK in automotive applications 'till 1990/'91. I think it still had the RQV and RQVK governor though.

nevrenufhp

Trango

I can tell you about what it does to a DT466 with nearly the same pump. I did a #0 plate, tightened the gov springs, and hiked the timing to 22*. Keep in mind, this truck weighs just over 27k pounds in the vids, so it wont seem too fast. I do say, it will run like you think it should have from the factory. It just makes a better driving experience. The 8.3's respond even more to the freebie mods, because the pump has bigger plungers than the mechanical DT466s.
DT466 IH, 0 to 56mph - YouTube
hitting governer, DT466 - YouTube
Thanks for posting.

I have a civvy 8.3 in my hybrid 5 ton project, and I've already thrown a more aggressive fuel plate into the IP. May I assume from your post that longevity is not a concern if I also throw 3k governor springs into the IP?

Best,
Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks