• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So your **** door does not close right? - here is a few tips - door adjustment

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to remove, replace the door and how to rehab interiors (glass, window channels, locks etc.):

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/TM9-2320-361-24-2.pdf (TM 9-2320-361-24-2)

Swapping the door was straightforward. The problem was that the door, new hinges and all, did not sit right. The window frame hit the weatherstripping of the cab cover, was not squared up and the door would not latch properly either. The TM is of ZERO help and does not address this particular problem.

IMG_20181009_133614.jpgIMG_20181009_133605.jpg

If you have ever installed a cabinet door, you know what needs to happen...the lower hinge needs to be pushed towards the rear of the truck to lift the rear edge of the door up.

Thanks to the input from Floridianson, rustystud and others here is what worked:

1) the steel plates where the hinge bolts screw into actually move left-right (transverse plane to the length of the truck) to adjust the upper and lower edge of the door in and out.

IMG_20181009_135018.jpg

In the picture you can see the steel plate with the threaded holes sitting behind the cab sheet metal. This plate can be rusted into place. Put a couple of bolts in and hit the bolt heads with a hammer until the plate moves. Adjusting this plate is possible with the hinge and door installed, all the hinge bolts in, but loosened.

2) In the picture you also see how I accomplished pushing the hinge "backwards" so that the rear of the door rises up. Two stainless or galvanized washers over the new stainless hex bolts. I recommend you do NOT re-use the NOS Philips head soft bolts. There is sufficient clearance on the door side to accommodate the hex heads and a lock washer.

3) The door, with the window down, finally sat right and closes (firmly) but it closes. However, the window frame was still crooked (but properly adjusted inside the door, check as per TM!). What else could be out of whack? The WINDSHIELD!

IMG_20181009_142649_hdr.jpg

4) Loosen the windshield locking screws on the outside, run a wide cargo winch strap around the top of the windshield, attach it in on the front of the bed and gently suck that windshield back. Keep the tension, lock the screws. You are pressing the windshield frame onto the cab seal, so no leak issue results from that.

BINGO!

IMG_20181009_142559_hdr.jpgIMG_20181009_142553_hdr.jpg

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :clinto:

Door hinge pins: Use 1/4-20 stainless steel flat head hex bolts, 3 inches (better 3 1/2 inches) long, a self locking nut and two stainless steel washers. You can drill out the hole to 5/16 and use thicker bolts and you can also drill the middle hinge clasp and install a grease zerk.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm rebuilding my doors and can't see where the grease fitting would clear other than sticking straight out on the outside.
Can you send a pic of how you installed yours?

Thanks much

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one break off in the door. Used an easy out. But then had to go with a 5/16-18 as the treads were rusted out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks