• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SOCOM PINZ MOD info

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More spec ops pinz's

Thought all you PINZ fans might want to see what your tax dollars bought,
shame they will probably make corn flakes out of them!!!............SICK MINDS AT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is all I can say.

popacom /Bill :deadhorse:

Attachments

DSD277

****! Those are some old Pinzes:wink:
They're P90s... made around 1990 to '93
Bill, can you send me some hi res pics of those ?... they looks like they could some of those "short" wheelbase Pinzes I was telling you about.:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:[thumbzup]

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes our government says it is OK to give these to other countries that are friendly to U.S
today and our enemies next week ,but let it's own citizens want to posses them and we grind
them into a useless pulp to deny any benefit of the taxpayer's who's hard earned money helps pay
for their extravagant spending habits. makes my blood boil when I see stuff destroyed for
the reasons the government gives for destroying. The British government has a much better
attitude towards civilian ownership of surplus military vehicles and equipment,a policy the U.S.
government should take heed of,as we are going to end up"WAISTING " ourselves out of existence.
Well that's my opinion and that and $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee ..........OH.....Wait....
I made an error .....that and 300 AMERO's will get you a cup!!!!!

popacom / BILL KAGIN III :rant:

DSD277

Well Bill, it's a double standard. If those trucks were in another country, and at least 25 years old, they would be legal to bring into the US, and registerable ( at present) in most states. But they're here and not registerable for the road.... if they came up for auction, I'd love to have some of the parts for spares.

Not to:deadhorse:, but I want more pic! :smile: , I'd like to identify some of those trucks better. After cleaning the cr*p out of my eyes, I could see a newer P93 ( could even be 2.5TDI 5 cyl too).
From memory, were any of them 4x4s ( 716) ? Easy to spot, the rear end will sag when sitting ( the rear air suspension will pump up and level, once running). Unique to the 716 Pinzgauers

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been picking up more info and parts for this unit,got some NOS HUMMV stuff to replace parts the Govt.loped up. Still no word on the fate of the PINZ's in the above pics. As DSD277 points out
if these units were just a wweeee bit older they could be registered in U.S. but such is life,can some
body pass the milk ,I like it with my cornflakes as that is probably the end results with these EXTRA cool little trucks, On another note I am looking to find a Pinz 710/712 owner that might want some of the parts I am taking off the 710 body that I won't need,anyone interested just PM me and we can see if there is anything I can supply from this unit. Gotta be out of town with work till middle of next week and won't be available Thursday thru Sun. Next week the shop is back on the agenda, and then ,you guessed it :TIME TO START RE-FURBING A SOCOM PINZ!!!!!

Till then this is popacom /Bill OUT :mrgreen:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I scored a full set of LED lights that will be on the SOCOM PINZ, now I'm trying to find a set of the new LED headlights like they are using on the new HEMTT's and the MATV's anybody out there that can "HELP A BROTHER OUT" ? also anyone that has been following this thread that can now ID the half shafts from the pics I posted please speak up! I need to 100% ID these units before I put my feelers
out for replacements. The weather is starting to shape up and I am" itchin " to get cranked in on this thing. Thanks to all who have helped to this point with feedback and info,and PLEASE stay with me here as I know I will need more help as this thing starts coming back together.

Thanks again for all the help and interest/ popacom / BILL KAGIN III :jumpin:

DSO_351

A Humvee halfshaft has two ends with CV joints. Inboard CV is a tripod version which allows the shaft to slide or expand. Inboard has 6 metric bolts that go thru the rotor to the diff flange. The outboard CV joint is a series of balls in a cage. Outboard has a splined shaft which goes thru the drop gear. A single bolt locks the splined end to the upper output gear.

Your pics seem to have tripod CV joints on both ends! Have you removed the upper port plug on the drop gears? A standard breaker bar should loosen the plug. The single bolt can be loosened to remove the shaft from the rear of the drop gear. I'd like to see the splined modification.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well DSO_351 glad you swung by! I haven't taken any of the drop gears down yet,as I want to be
confident when I do that I am not screwing anything up that will cause additional work.
I will try and pull one down here soon so a posi. I.D. can be made and repair parts secured.
I will post Pics on this asap.

Thanks!!! popacom / BILL [thumbzup]

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I gotta say Aberdeen proved to be a real goldmine for the rest of my parts list for the SOCOM pinz. project
I scored the CTIS controller from an M-35A3 with the manifold set-up and harness this will make for a much
better time hooking the CTIS back up! also got an FMTV heater assy. that will keep the passenger compartment
toasty. Dave at WEEBEE webbing(O.D. CLOTH) was there and he will be doing the seats and hopefully the
Nato camo vinyl soft tops( And I am re-furbing and installing all the VIC-1 and VRC-45 radio set up in the new
boat he is restoring(A PBR with souped up power and upgrades) excited to get to be a part of that action,
really a cool project. A trade that is working well for the both of us LOL> got a NOS shifter assembly from an M-35A3
which will be adapted to control the 700R4 tranny behind the VORTEC 4.3 thats going in the PINZ. Got the rest of the
parts promised for the HUMMV weapons station,found the last of the driveline components. Now I just gotta get
motivated to start putting it all together!!!!all this figuring and parts chasing has me about tuckered out.
I have been seriously considering trading off or selling the 17"Alum H-1 rims with the BAJA T/A BFG's in
favor of stock HUMMV rims and Radial's as I have a good source for NOS tires. If there is anyone that might want the
2 pc. Alum. rims w/tires(I have 6 of them,as the original donor SOCOM Pinz. was a 6x6- 718TD )
Well I guess a couple of days to recover from the Aberdeen expedition and I will be ready to crank it up
Till then,thanks to all that helped me locate all the goody's I have for the project and stay tuned for up coming pic's.

Thanks!!! popacom / BILL in KY. :driver:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well as I have heard it said more more than once in my life "The best laid plans of mice and men..............."
The summer keeps slipping away and no forward progress can be reported on my Pinz :???:
Seems the harder I try to get the shop up and functional the farther from it I drift!!! Life seems to keep
throwing spitball curves at me. Laid off from work,shop is a Chinese puzzle from consolidating all my
storage areas there to cut cash out per month,weather has been so hot you can't stand it in the shop
areas, and the light at the end of the tunnel turned out to be a TRAIN!!!! I know I am not alone in my
pain,so many people in worse shape I feel ashamed that I am reacting to my situation the way I am
but it's very dis-heartning being so close to realizing a life time dream and feeling so out of control with my
efforts. Enough for the self induced pitty party. I WILL SURVIVE!!!! and I will build this truck if it kills me.
I am renewing efforts this week end and will try to shoot some pics of some of the components that
will be going into this build eventually. Thanks for all the guys that have helped me so far ,and know your
time was not spent in vane, it can and will come together sooner or later.

Thanks!!! popacom / BILL in Ky.aua ----> :evil:----->8)

duncan

Just start with one small part at a time instead of looking at the big picture right away. That way you wont be overwhelmed by the work :D Good luck man!

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the update is that like so many of my fellow Americans I am "Laid off work"
and so my hobby must take a sideline to priorities. Still trading, planning and doing what I can but it has all but put me at a standstill. I am still determined to :grd:but it will just take me longer
that's all. When things break loose I for sure will be more than glad to post forward progress.

Thanks!!! popacom / BILL in Ky.:roll:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I did manage some forward momentum on the SOCOM Pinz.
I scored a low mileage VORTEC 4.3 V-6,4L60E,computer, and wiring harness from a 2001 Blazer that came out of GSA. The way the trade ended up.........I made money to take it......HOOO >>HHHHOO!!!!
brightened my outlook considerably. Just gotta keep makin forward
steps .....however small. popacom / BILL in KY>:grin:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!

Thanks for the link ...... did manage to find a pair I had trade fodder
to cover.........very frustrated that I am so close ...................but
......so far.....lol :shock:

Maguyvah

I purchased one of those 718's off of GL last March and it is an awesome rig, finally got it titled and registered here are some photos. Enjoy.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks