• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top Field Expedient Emergency Repair???

oddshot

I have bought a Deuce in Maryland ... and I have to drive it to NoGa.

This Deuce has no soft top.

I have found a top ... but it is missing the front plastic.

I KNOW that there are ways I can get this repaired ... IF I had time I would do that.

But I have NO time ...

I need to find a way to secure the front of the top into the frame for a 600 mile ride home.

Any Ideas???

YES ... I DID search this topic and found a good thread that discusses a PERMANENT fix:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/43158-soft-top-repair-2.html

But I need a WAR EMERGENCY quick temporary repair ... or I'm gonna freeze my buns off!

oddshot

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worse case scenario is take a 2x4, clamp it to the windshield and screw/duct tape the top to the board. Won't be pretty and it won't be completely weatherproof but should hold up in a pinch.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove one to GA yesterday, that ripped up and started to come of a la Doghead. A roll of duct tape fixed it for a little bit, but with it being cold the tape didn't stick very well and it came loose again. Luckly I dressed warmly!

I'd recommend getting a top from Dawn (clintogf) your going to need one anyway.

deuceman51

I've used zip ties before when my top seperated from the plastic part. It worked well, but you will have to cut some holes in the top to let the zip tie though. Unless you use a bunch of small ones and can get them through the stitching holes.

Westech

CPL
Just it seems you are WAY under prepared for this recovery. When Gimp and I recovered two from TX we had a 2500HD LOADED with parts, oil, tools and assorted supplies. We did not wait for the last min to find things that we knew we needed. Driving a Soft top deuce while the lowest temps of the season are upon us with a ripped top that you have to "fix" just seams like one nasty recovery.

And not being "tough" on you... just trying to make you work a little smarter and really safer.

oddshot

I know I can buy a new top ... and probably will. But I just don't have time to wait.

There is a bit of a time constraint to this sale and I don't want to loose this truck.

Thanks for all the kind help anyway.

oddshot

'48Chevy6

I know I can buy a new top ... and probably will. But I just don't have time to wait.

There is a bit of a time constraint to this sale and I don't want to loose this truck.

Thanks for all the kind help anyway.

oddshot
I am less than an hour east from the sellers location. His originial Craigslist ad showed that he would deliver local. You can have it delivered and stored at my place until you have more time to make arrangements if you like.

Oh, and it was 4 degrees f overnight here, so I encourage you in your top endeavors.

PS, It did seem like a pretty good deal when he listed it.

Tim

Last edited:
The great thing about asking for advice is that you don't have to take it. But you don't need to get all bent, when you get it.
I know I could have a good top in my hands by 9:00 am tomarrow. This could be a safety issue as well as a comfort issue, so please reconsider how much time you have.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

oddshot
You should have done some research when we told you where to get a top. There were two reasons- #1 price, #2 location.

The tops for sale by Clintogf (Dawn) are in Statham, GA. That's 75 miles one way for you. How long does it take you to drive 150 mile round trip? also, are you driving your vehicle up and having someone follow you back in it? Stop by and pick up the top on your way out of town. They aren't far off I-85.

I don't see how the time constraint can be so serious that it can't wait 4 hrs more for you to get a brand new top that you know won't give you any trouble at all for the trip home. Patch something up and it could be a miserable ride home. 2cents

oddshot

Uh, yeah, you're gonna be cold, no doubts there. Two things, long-Johns and coveralls. :driver:
Yeah ... I got just about everything else under control ... tools, spares and etc.

I got a Carhart suit and long johns ... and my Navy Cold weather gear if I have to.

A cheap top popped up ... and I thought I would give it a try.

Again ... Thanks for the kind advice.

oddshot

oddshot

I am less than an hour east from the sellers location. His originial Craigslist ad showed that he would deliver local. You can have it delivered and stored at my place until you have more time to make arrangements if you like.

Oh, and it was 4 degrees f overnight here, so I encourage you in your top endeavors.

PS, It did seem like a pretty good deal when he listed it.

Tim
THANK YOU VERY MUCH BUD!!! I really appreciate it.

But I'll be able to get it done.

I might be live in Georgia now ... but I grew up on the water in New (freakin' cold) Jersey ... and I stood more watches then I care to remember in weather colder then 4 degrees.

oddshot

stoney_bogg

Soft top

Once you figure the soft top out-or redue the front attachment You do know you also have two braces that hold it up. Are those there?. Might bring some bendable 3/16 rod along. Otherwise it might be flapping and rip off your front.

oddshot

Once you figure the soft top out-or redue the front attachment You do know you also have two braces that hold it up. Are those there?. Might bring some bendable 3/16 rod along. Otherwise it might be flapping and rip off your front.

The current owner tells me he has everything BUT the top.

But you HAVE given me an Idea for a field expedient ... that just might work. Maybe even two of them now that I sit and think about it.

If it works ... I'll post a couple pictures ... it just might help somebody else out.

Thanks

oddshot

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Duct tape seems to suck on CARC paint. In a pinch waterproof duct tape seems to grip a LOT better. I used some on the heater hole in my firewall when the duct tape wouldn't stick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks