• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top Field Expedient Emergency Repair???

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't tell you how many temp repairs have become semi-permanent in my truck, like the wire ties holding the pyro on the steering column!
With one deuce and a M101A2 I cannot argue. As time goes on I would imagine that will become the normal for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
Please look back to my original post and see where I recommended an alternative to the missing piece. Attached are a couple of pictures.

So I'm a dumbarse! Guess I need to read the whole post before I spout off!

oddshot

Kenny,
Please look back to my original post and see where I recommended an alternative to the missing piece. Attached are a couple of pictures.

IF I found a good Top ....

and

IF I found the "Black Vinyl Piece" that mounts into the groove at the top of the windshield frame ...

Would the Top and Black Vinyl piece assemble in the same manner as the "black vinyl pieces" that run vertically along the rear of the side glass windows ...

as in the attached drawing?

In other words ... will the front black vinyl mount and look EXACTLY the same as the side widow black vinyl?

In the fotos the brown color is OUT side.

Thanks

oddshot

Attachments

Last edited:

oddshot

Do you have the winter cover for the grill? I am in Buford, not sure how far away you are. I can loan you a top and grill cover for the trip, if you can not get one in time. I have soft tops on my deuces, and an extra winter grill cover. I am from the north, and I hate to see someone freeze. I am always willing to lend a hand to anyone whom has served our country. [thumbzup]
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your very kind offer ...

But I bought a BEAUTIFUL insulated camo top ... from an OUTSTANDING young (ex) Sailor! Along with a number of other parts I needed to get this done.

If I can whip this front mount thing I got it made!!!! I still got a couple days to get it right.

I just need to know which way the bump goes (see the above posts).

oddshot

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest way I can tell you is to lay the top out on the hood upside down. Slide it over and start the plastic piece in the frame and slide it through!

oddshot

Easiest way I can tell you is to lay the top out on the hood upside down. Slide it over and start the plastic piece in the frame and slide it through!

Perhaps I was not clear in the way I asked my question.

I do NOT need to know HOW to install the top.

I need to know how the black vinyl piece is sewed to the top.

Refering to the pictures I posted above ... Should it look like the plastic piece along the side windows?

oddshot

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man I bet there has been more time spent on this Post then it would have taken to Order/Drive and pick up a top from Clintogf..... I just sayin.....
Sounds like you're just trying to advertise in the forum.

Just sayin'..................................

oddshot

Man I bet there has been more time spent on this Post then it would have taken to Order/Drive and pick up a top from Clintogf..... I just sayin.....
I kinda have to agree.

I think I have been asking a VERY simple and direct question ...

but this thread has gotten a LOT of off topic replies. I've gotten a LOT of advice and I have taken ALL OF IT to heart

... but, honestly, most of it has been of little relevance to my question.

I KNOW its cold.

I KNOW I can buy a new top.

But that isn't what I asked.

At the risk of being redundant ...

I need to know how the black vinyl piece is sewed to the top.

Referring to the pictures and drawing I posted above ... Should the front plastic piece be mounted (sewn) to the top in a manner like the plastic piece along the side windows?

Thanks again

oddshot

TexAndy

Worse case scenario is take a 2x4, clamp it to the windshield and screw/duct tape the top to the board. Won't be pretty and it won't be completely weatherproof but should hold up in a pinch.

Hey, where were you with the helpful suggestions when that top came off the deuce on the freeway in San Antonio? :shock:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original black vinyl, or the bottom vinyl siding piece as I have shown in post #41 of this thread, goes underneath the vinyl canvas top. In my first picture it would be on the bottom with the back of the truck (and thus most of the canvas)off to the right of the picture.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
IF I found a good Top ....

and

IF I found the "Black Vinyl Piece" that mounts into the groove at the top of the windshield frame ...

Would the Top and Black Vinyl piece assemble in the same manner as the "black vinyl pieces" that run vertically along the rear of the side glass windows ...

as in the attached drawing?

In other words ... will the front black vinyl mount and look EXACTLY the same as the side widow black vinyl?

In the fotos the brown color is OUT side.

Thanks

oddshot
To answer the question, the pic you drew has the plastic upside down.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
must be a heck of a deal to go that far without a top. Several trucks in ga for sale.....with tops

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, to answer your question, I 'fixed' your drawing.

all we were saying, is that buying a top would save lots of time and energy rather than fixing your broken one.

Attachments

mattg2448

This just seems a little Caddy Wompus. I say, go buy a hard top, and your be good for a while, from what i understand its easier to rip vinyl then to rip steel! But I could be wrong, fixing a top is easier said then done.