• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft top question I haven't seen before..

OldDominionIron2

Enough about the front plastic coming off, I want to know what the purpose of the full-length channel/tube/loop on the back of the soft top is for? I've already got rope going through the individual loops to hold the top down, and just noticed the long loop underneath/behind them. Is that for some kind of rod to keep the back of the cover from getting blown away from the cab? I'm thinking of putting a wooden dowel in to see if it helps. I'm getting tired of those cold drafts up the back of my neck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Enough about the front plastic coming off, I want to know what the purpose of the full-length channel/tube/loop on the back of the soft top is for? I've already got rope going through the individual loops to hold the top down, and just noticed the long loop underneath/behind them. Is that for some kind of rod to keep the back of the cover from getting blown away from the cab? I'm thinking of putting a wooden dowel in to see if it helps. I'm getting tired of those cold drafts up the back of my neck.
With regard to the drafts, do you have a vinyl top? If so, there is a flap on the inside that is supposed to sit on the back edge of the cab tub to help to seal the back of the cab from drafts. It is fairly effective. One problem I have noticed, though, is that water tends to leak in through the zipper around the window and puddles on this flap (and eventually leaks in). If I leave my trucks for extended periods, I push the flap back down behind the edge of the cab tub so water drains right through. Good luck.

OldDominionIron2

Bruce, I went out and looked and, sure enough, it's the flap you're talking about, hanging down behind the cab loops. So I got a piece of spare PVC pipe I had laying around, painted the ends black, and inserted in the channel and tie-wrapped in on the lip of the cab tub. Took the truck out for a drive, and @ 50+ MPH on the highway I didn't feel a draft. Actually, I started sweating in the light jacket I had on so I had to crack the windows. Thanks.

Attachments

emr

Bruce, I went out and looked and, sure enough, it's the flap you're talking about, hanging down behind the cab loops. So I got a piece of spare PVC pipe I had laying around, painted the ends black, and inserted in the channel and tie-wrapped in on the lip of the cab tub. Took the truck out for a drive, and @ 50+ MPH on the highway I didn't feel a draft. Actually, I started sweating in the light jacket I had on so I had to crack the windows. Thanks.
Dang thats cheating :) good fix :) that is one I would use, I usually stay away from anything not correct, but that back draft can be a killer..... Nice ...

KsM715

Ok while we are on the softop subject, when I was swapping my hard and soft tops around I noticed that on the back of the cab that had the soft top there was an upside down piece of angle that went all the way across the back of the cab. Whats the point of that? Is it a cab brace for trucks without a hard top?

steelandcanvas

Ok while we are on the softop subject, when I was swapping my hard and soft tops around I noticed that on the back of the cab that had the soft top there was an upside down piece of angle that went all the way across the back of the cab. Whats the point of that? Is it a cab brace for trucks without a hard top?
Does it have holes in it that match the holes in your hard-top?

steelandcanvas

When I removed my hard-top off of another truck, this piece was on top of the hard-top mounting flange. The hard-top flange was sandwiched between this flat metal piece and the top of the cab tub. I was thinking this flat metal is to strengthen the connection between the hard-top and the tub.

KsM715

Hmmm this piece was on the soft top truck and the hard top truck didnt have one.

Time to start digging in the TM's to see what I can find.

Barrman

There actually in one of the -??P manuals is a listing for a 1/8" x 1" flat iron that goes in that flap on the back. I forget which manual or rear I saw it in. Sorry.

I did find some of the "stock" flat irons a few years ago and installed one. Makes a huge difference in noise and flapping.

KsM715

Hmmm this piece was on the soft top truck and the hard top truck didnt have one.

Time to start digging in the TM's to see what I can find.
Is it OK to quote yourself? :grd:

Anyway I found it. It is a cab reinforcement piece for the soft top. Further down in the TM it doesnt show the brace being used for hard top.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have felt the same drafts. I also noticed there are 4 holes in the back of my cab, about a half inch in diameter each. i dont drive mine much in the cold except in the fall/spring but take a look to see if you have the same 4 holes behind the drivers seat. driving down the road with the cargo cover on, i believe there is a high pressure area behind the cab and it blows air right between the seat back and the bottom seat pad. is this the same draft you feel? I have a soft top and the same "draft flap" that is talked about in here. Hard top would be nice though.

KsM715

Those holes are where the poles for the convoy lights/antenna masts (and possibly the gun ring support legs, Im not certain on that as I have never seen one in person) bolt on using u-bolts. I have filld mine with 1/2" bolts.

flyxpl

The piece of steel on the back of the cab is supposed to have the flap from the softop sandwiched between the cab and plate . Thier go"s your draft . This is how my softtop was put on from military . I had to loosen the plate and take out the flap to install the M66 ring legs on my truck .