• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top Repair

3rdmdqm

I checked the archives on this topic and found a few ideas from back in April, wondering if there are any new ideas. I have a soft top in decent condition, however the front sewn edge at the windshield has come apart and the plastic channel piece that secures the top and goes in the windshield channel was broken in half and the other half is missing.

I took a piece of vinyl siding, cut it to 59 1/2 inch length, by 3" in width. The bottom portion of the siding has a channel used to grab the next piece of siding. This is the perfect size to fit in the windshield channel and is strong enough to hold. My dilemma is, I tried using liquid nails to glue the top to the siding, however this is not working so well. Apparently liquid nails was not made to join vinyl/canvas to vinyl siding. My next step is to try and see if an uphosterer can sew through the siding and vinyl top.

Are there any other ideas out there? The one mentioned previously was utilizing rope, although I can't picture that. Thre was also a mention of a product called Pliobond, will this hold stronger than Liquid Nails? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just recently used JB Weld on mine. It seems to be holding very well, but the real test will be on the freeway later this week.

Update:

Took it out for a spin on the freeway at 55MPH for several miles. The top held with no issues. Checked the attachment where the top meets the plastic and it was as solid as a rock!

Last edited:

poppop

I used three M black uphostlier glue on mine and when it dried drilled small holes and sticthed it with nylon fishing line. Its holding so far.

MitchG

If you can find a place that does shoe repair take it there. I got the new plastic channel pieces from GMA and a local shoe repair guy sewed it on for me. He also used a glue that is supposed to be for bonding shoe soles to the uppers before he stiched it up. Looks great and is holding perfectly.

3rdmdqm

Thanks for all of the ideas. I wound up using Pliobond, then added the aluminum large head rivets as suggested. Worked out great. A bit of touch up paint on the rivets, can't even tell. The plastic siding cut to size worked out really well for the plastic channel substitute/replacement. This site is awesome, thanks for the help. :-D

Last edited:

Barrman

Glad it worked out. A pair of pliers, gloves, non waxed dental floss, Pliobond, 9 large sewing needles broken and about 4 hours allowed me to restitch mine a year ago after it let go.

TexAndy

If you can find a place that does shoe repair take it there. I got the new plastic channel pieces from GMA and a local shoe repair guy sewed it on for me. He also used a glue that is supposed to be for bonding shoe soles to the uppers before he stiched it up. Looks great and is holding perfectly.
How much did the plastic channel piece cost? I can't find it on the GMA website.

Yeah, I've got the exact same problem as others in this thread. Plastic front piece came unstitched and broke into several pieces.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one on the same topic, I am looking for the replacement channels too for the soft top and need a little help. I checked GMA's site but I don't seem to find any products list or catalog. Or is there another place to find the channel?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott,
Call GMA if you don't want to use the siding as mentioned in earlier posts. Shipping may be a problem because it's long and not very big around!

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike, I figured I should just call, I just thought I was missing something on the webstite.

Crazyguyla

The old cotton duck canvas had a cord stitched into the front end of the top. I know this repair was covered in the General Fabric Repair manual, FM 10-16 . I want to say the cord was 1/8 inch thick. Could go this route to repair a top with a missing/ broken plastic piece.

FM 10-16 has had a lot of information removed since the last revision, my copy is back home in the states. If you take your top to an upolstery shop for repair, tell them you need a corded seam added where the platic piece was. Is basicly a cord sewn into a fabric sheath, then taht is sewn to the top. Now there's something to slide through the channel and secure the fron of the top.

Last edited:

3rdmdqm

I used the siding trick, it works fine. just as good as the original plastic channel piece. Cut to the length I previously posted. I made mine 3" wide/high, however you do not need to make it this wide. If I had to do it again I would only make it 2" wide, 3" pushes the top up to high and makes it not sit on top of the metal rods to hold it down. This will be an easy fix for me though as I will just take a razor knife and score it in half to make it more flexible. The siding channel fits perfectly.

Use JB Weld, Pliobond or any other type shoe cement to glue the fabric along the edge of the siding. I added pop rivets across the front for added strength although there are others that did not do this and have had no issues. I touched up the aluminum rivets that were exposed with paint and you cannot even see them. I have gotten excellent results and the top functions as good as new.

I will post pics when this dreaded weatehr clears up.