• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solar Battery Charger

Unplug each time? What a hassle! Why not just set up some relays to disconnect them when running?
I set my solar panels on my dashboard and plug one into my lighter socket and the other has a lead line that is a quick disconnect. I did not want my solar panels mounted on my vehicle as I use them for other things, also leaving them out is one more temptation for someone to break into my vehicle when I park anywhere but in my drive. It takes 2 minutes to disconnect and stow away, same for putting back out. Its not like I am disconnecting and reconnecting every time I use my truck.

cliffyp

I ran without a gen 2 for several months. I threw a solar panel on my dash and connected to the rear battery. It was intended to be a brief thing. Ended up staying that way for a long time as a daily driver, several starts a day. I would occasionally check the rear battery with a meter and it was always still at 12.5v.

Skinny

A proper solar panel install should have a diode if the panel doesn't have one built in to prevent current from going into the panel. This means you should never have to disconnect it.

I can talk talk CUCV solar till I'm blue in the face. Solargizer up on the hood and an 85w big panel on the roof connected through a smart ACR to a big 3rd battery and lots of 2g with multiple switches to move it all around as needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A diode? Would that be the little control box that came with the charger?
Hard to say as you are the only one that knows what make/model charger you have! If you post that information, someone here may have the answer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks