• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solar Battery Charger

Unplug each time? What a hassle! Why not just set up some relays to disconnect them when running?
I set my solar panels on my dashboard and plug one into my lighter socket and the other has a lead line that is a quick disconnect. I did not want my solar panels mounted on my vehicle as I use them for other things, also leaving them out is one more temptation for someone to break into my vehicle when I park anywhere but in my drive. It takes 2 minutes to disconnect and stow away, same for putting back out. Its not like I am disconnecting and reconnecting every time I use my truck.

cliffyp

I ran without a gen 2 for several months. I threw a solar panel on my dash and connected to the rear battery. It was intended to be a brief thing. Ended up staying that way for a long time as a daily driver, several starts a day. I would occasionally check the rear battery with a meter and it was always still at 12.5v.

Skinny

A proper solar panel install should have a diode if the panel doesn't have one built in to prevent current from going into the panel. This means you should never have to disconnect it.

I can talk talk CUCV solar till I'm blue in the face. Solargizer up on the hood and an 85w big panel on the roof connected through a smart ACR to a big 3rd battery and lots of 2g with multiple switches to move it all around as needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A diode? Would that be the little control box that came with the charger?
Hard to say as you are the only one that knows what make/model charger you have! If you post that information, someone here may have the answer.