• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some Fuel Filter Questions and comments about my terrible week.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appendages crossed!! Eagerly awaiting the "outcome"....ya know what they say, "One day at a time!".......hopefully your mech adventure has come to a successful conclusion.....
Remember when @TNDRIVER said it wasn't the lift pump? Yeah, he was right.

It acted normal for 2 miles, then exactly the same symptoms.

Back on the Strap for the Tow of Shame it went. Made it back to the driveway.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have had similar issues with both gas and diesel engines over the years and it almost always is the pick up sock. As the engine runs and return fuel agitates the fuel in the tank, crap from the bottom gets sucked up to the screen. Eventually enough gets on it to restrict flow to the point of stalling. When the engine stalls and the pump stops creating suction the junk falls off and you can start the process again. If you have an old fuel system vacuum gauge you can plumb it into the suction side of the lift pump and tape it to the windshield, drive the truck if vacuum drops during power loss there is a restriction before the gauge or the previously mentioned clogged vent. If the vacuum goes up there is a restriction after the lift pump. If there is no change you're looking at a high pressure side problem.
Hope this helps
Welcome to Steel Soldiers

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Well, ya got a NEW lift pump! Congratulations!! Now, for something completely different!(Monty Python)

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You are going to be amazed at what you find in the tank. The two cannon plugs above the "frame" over the driveshaft is the hardest part of removal in my experience, chews up old hands. Also if you are new to diesels I have two words for you"BIO KLEEN" . Gasket kit for the top plate and a new pickup sock and drain plug and a days work fixed mine up. I can start breathing again, I almost turned blue! And welcome to STEEL SOLDIERS also.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here's what i see looking into the tank from the fuel gauge sending unit hole.

Upper left is return as best I can tell, and center is the pickup.

I'm concerned about that ring on the return. Whats up with that?

What's to prevent me from addressing the sock by means of dumping fuel in the this opening and allowing it to exit via the drain hole?

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here's what i see looking into the tank from the fuel gauge sending unit hole.

Upper left is return as best I can tell, and center is the pickup.

I'm concerned about that ring on the return. Whats up with that?

What's to prevent me from addressing the sock by means of dumping fuel in the this opening and allowing it to exit via the drain hole?
OMG!!!:eek:
IMHO you are going to have to pull that tank, there is no way again IMHO you are going to get it anywhere near clean any other way.
Black=bugs

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Another CAMO tip of the day. This might not go over well with the OEM crowd. But :unsure: about it.

Here's what I do do. One time and last! Drop the tank. Clean and ready as needed. DITCH the SOCK. I can hear it now 🙉.

Where the check valve is (3/8 line) Yeah... the one causing problems and most bypass with a hose... install an inline diesel filter instead.🤔
(Plastic see thru is nice to eye ball the crap, now easy to service and cheap)

With the pre-filter installed, loop the hose in and around or whatever it takes to look sexy nice / secure🔐. Plenty of room, up and out of the way.

Saves the pump too from getting junk and sending it to the hard to mess with HumV filter. I got rid of that too.

Next tip... How I went from this to that, CAMO

download.jpgWAS TO THIS >>>>>download (2).jpg >>>AND BIG RED>>>download (1).jpg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my medicine for the OEM lift pump and filter.
A Raptor pump and a spin on filter, mounted in the right wheel well.
I normally run 8-10PSI, the 3PSI the gauge is showing is the pressure it takes to open the return check valve in the IP, it would just sit there at 2-3PSI for weeks
Any more than 13-15PSI and you start to affect the IP timing.
IMG_20221114_113723056.jpg

Reactions: 98G

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another CAMO tip of the day. This might not go over well with the OEM crowd. But :unsure: about it.

Here's what I do do. One time and last! Drop the tank. Clean and ready as needed. DITCH the SOCK. I can hear it now 🙉.

Where the check valve is (3/8 line) Yeah... the one causing problems and most bypass with a hose... install an inline diesel filter instead.🤔
(Plastic see thru is nice to eye ball the crap, now easy to service and cheap)

With the pre-filter installed, loop the hose in and around or whatever it takes to look sexy nice / secure🔐. Plenty of room, up and out of the way.

Saves the pump too from getting junk and sending it to the hard to mess with HumV filter. I got rid of that too.

Next tip... How I went from this to that, CAMO

View attachment 932586WAS TO THIS >>>>>View attachment 932588 >>>AND BIG RED>>>View attachment 932587
I like this idea. I was considering exactly that. Big coarse filter upstream from the lift pump. Keep the factory filter as well. With both, I'd be concerned about resistance to flow and worry the one pump is insufficient to force fuel through both.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my medicine for the OEM lift pump and filter.
A Raptor pump and a spin on filter, mounted in the right wheel well.
I normally run 8-10PSI, the 3PSI the gauge is showing is the pressure it takes to open the return check valve in the IP, it would just sit there at 2-3PSI for weeks
Any more than 13-15PSI and you start to affect the IP timing.
View attachment 932596
I like that idea as well...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like that idea as well...
Run out of fuel or change the filter no problemo, just run the pump for a few minuets and it will prime itself.
Also no need for a filter before the pump as that gear pump will digest anything the fuel tank can send it