• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some New Deuce Owner Questions...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Does anyone have the manufactures codes for properly reading the VIN for date of manufacture, engine type and so on?

Also have any of you put in a radio into the M35 trucks? I would like a radio in my mine, but I'm sure as to how to put a 12volt radio into a 24volt system without an additional alternator in the 12volt range? Is this the only way to do it?

Another question I have is this who are the best part stores to go to online?

Finally is can I put standard 11:00x20 non-directional tires in dual format in the rear? I like the taller 11:00x20s from the 5ton and I know the M35 uses them as super-singles but I would prefer duals to make it look stock just a bit taller and wider.

Thanks for the help...

If anyone is in or near Louisville I would love to find out places to drive off-road. Driving in Downtown Louisville while challenging from size perspective is one thing but not the same as off road

Thanks

Rolling_Eudaimonia

RE: Re: RE: Some New Deuce Owner Questions...

Any of you guys run your trucks on bio-diesel? it seems like it would be the most affordable means to drive this truck?

Also I want to put a winch on my truck, actually two winches one in the front and one in the rear behind the cab for rear recovery. I was thinking a DP 35,000lb front winch for the front and DP 50,000lb winch planetary hyd winches actually. Will the truck's frame handle these sorts of winches? I sort of have a plan for the truck later one to drive from the Northern Most Part of Alaska to the Southern most part of Argentina all on Bio-Diesel and at least 80 percent of the time off road. So I figure in South America I could use 25ton winch to pull my truck out of the mud in the rain forest and up the hills that snake around the Andies.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial

Radio I think you can run a 12V radio on 24V just use 1 battery. Be sure to fuse it though. I run 12V lights on a 36V golf cart. I`m sure other folks might have other ideas. I`m always learning myself.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

35K and 50K winch, huh? Wow.

You know the deuce only weighs just under 14K pounds, a 20K winch is overkill, even if you are hanging from a cliff by the winch cable. The 10K winch on the front bumper is adequate for 99.9999% of the situations you will get into. If you need more than that, you took your truck down the WRONG road.

I do not think the deuce frame can handle a 35K winch, to be honest.

And for bio-diesel, see this thread, you might want to re-consider.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=25048

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Some New Deuce Owner Questions...

neilhendrix said:
Radio I think you can run a 12V radio on 24V just use 1 battery. Be sure to fuse it though. I run 12V lights on a 36V golf cart. I`m sure other folks might have other ideas. I`m always learning myself.
Thanks for the idea...

I don't know I've not thought about wiring the radio from the radio-harness into the battery harrness directly from one battery. I was thinking of using ignition switch harness actually.

Barrman

Welcome to the site.

All of your questions have been covered at length in the past. Spend a day or two using the search feature to find all the exact answers.

11.00-20 NDT tires will work as duals on the M35. At least, mine work just fine that way.

The stock 10K Garwood winch on the M35 is very under rated. Just like the PTO driven 20K winch 5 ton trucks came with. Take a look at how the 2-1/2 ton and 5 ton wreckers were outfitted with winches front and rear to get some more ideas of what has already been designed and produced. My opinion is that a stock 10K winch and a few snatch blocks will do alot with the 200 feet of cable. I know mine has pulled my M35 out of mud up to the running boards without even lugging the engine. That was a straight line pull with no reduction by the way.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

maddawg308 said:
35K and 50K winch, huh? Wow.

You know the deuce only weighs just under 14K pounds, a 20K winch is overkill, even if you are hanging from a cliff by the winch cable. The 10K winch on the front bumper is adequate for 99.9999% of the situations you will get into. If you need more than that, you took your truck down the WRONG road.

I do not think the deuce frame can handle a 35K winch, to be honest.

Yeah I know the weight of the deuce is 13,050 lbs without winch, but I plan on taking off the rear cargo bed and putting on a lightweight tubular frame mount for the biggest possible bio-diesel and water (ADI actually) for a trip from Alaska to Argentina and where I plan on going there will be no roads. I want to be able to recover this truck when it is stuck in 2-4 feet of mud and weighed down totally. I might have to reinforce the frame some but the winches I've selected aren't that heavy. 930- 1000lbs for about 1930 lbs combined. I figure by taking off the rear bed and using a lightweight tubular structure I can maintain the max gross weight of 23,530 lbs. Also I plan on toting along 2.5 ton trailer also filled to the brim with Bio-diesel.

As for Bio-diesel's effects, I read that post already, I have one question did he change the seals in the injector pump and the fuel lines? Bio-diesel acts like a solvent and perhaps the seal in the pumps gave way????

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Barrman said:
Welcome to the site.

All of your questions have been covered at length in the past. Spend a day or two using the search feature to find all the exact answers.

11.00-20 NDT tires will work as duals on the M35. At least, mine work just fine that way.

The stock 10K Garwood winch on the M35 is very under rated. Just like the PTO driven 20K winch 5 ton trucks came with. Take a look at how the 2-1/2 ton and 5 ton wreckers were outfitted with winches front and rear to get some more ideas of what has already been designed and produced. My opinion is that a stock 10K winch and a few snatch blocks will do alot with the 200 feet of cable. I know mine has pulled my M35 out of mud up to the running boards without even lugging the engine. That was a straight line pull with no reduction by the way.
I guess I purchased a 1971, Government Liquidators was not sure of the year. Thanks...

bottleworks

maddawg308 said:

Don't spread incorrect information about biodiesel or else anything. That has nothing to do with biodiesel. He was burning WVO (that's not biodiesel). Rolling_Eudaimonia, biodiesel works great in a deuce. The two possible failures that caused the results in that thread can and DO happen to trucks that have never seen anything but fuels authorized in the TM.

You don't want to pull 12 volts from the lower battery unless you have a battery equalizer installed. If you install one, you can pull as much as the equalizer is designed (mine can do up to 100 AMPs continuous). Otherwise, you should install a small 24VDC to 12 VDC converter and connect your radio to that.

Most of your questions are already answered on this forum. Using the search function will find them. Loads of info is here ranging from what # bulb is this? to installing an LSB Cummins in a deuce.

BEASTMASTER

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Some New Deuce Owner Questions...

i've had my stereo hooked to the front battery going on 5 years now,been out plowing sometimes 10 -15 hours and i've never had any trouble with the batteries.in fact they were in the truck for 3 years when i bought it.i have a feeling i will need new batteries after this . :driver:

800summit

When I bought my Deuce The previous owner made his own biodiesal from Soybean, He would process it 5 miles offshore.
He runs it in all his fishing boats comercial trucks came out to about 47 cents a gallon. I would not be able to hear a radio or a conversation in my rig at hiway speeds, but you could put in a 24-12 volt converter would do the trick.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
R-E, interesting challenge for man and machine if you plan to travel that way!?:shock:
IMO you should contact people who have done that trip in their AWD-trucks and get a better idea about “road” conditions, fuel types & supply as well as suggested equipment.
I guess the first thing they will tell you is to invest in a good set of wide TL radials/wheels mounted as singles and forget about the old NDCCs (any size) + monster winches!
Adequate shoes will last long enough to safely take you there and back while saving you a lot of downtime repairing flats, and winching time, too!

G.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Some New Deuce Owner Questions...

800summit said:
When I bought my Deuce The previous owner made his own biodiesal from Soybean, He would process it 5 miles offshore.
He runs it in all his fishing boats comercial trucks came out to about 47 cents a gallon. I would not be able to hear a radio or a conversation in my rig at hiway speeds, but you could put in a 24-12 volt converter would do the trick.
The first things I plan on doing to the truck, are add 16:00x20 or 14:00x20's on it with CTIS. I'm thinking the CTIS that M35A3 used would be the best bet. Of course this would be coupled with Detroit Lockers perhaps even an air-locking Transfer case. And I don't think anyone has driven the route I want to drive, but I've spoken to people who've driven in outback of South America and they suggested that I would need a winch with 2-3 times pulling capacity of the truck itself fully loaded. Hence the 50K rearward winch is for when I'm totally screwed in the mud up to the frame.

As for fuel well the entire point of the trip is that it I'm doing it on Bio-Diesel. It is a challenge to prove that Bio-Diesel is truly a viable fuel source for on-road and off-road applications. Plus I want to make a documentary about the trip something for the Discovery Channel. Sort of a social statement as well against the rapid corporatism that I see choking the life-blood out of the world...

I've thought about the converter option, but I was wondering if you guys knew of a better way to go. It's simple and cheap but I thought maybe the present alternator was over taxed as it was. So I thought maybe a 12 volt alternator would be a better option. So now that it seems that is not the case I will just put a converter in the beast and move on to the next step.

Thanks for the help.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Barrman said:
Welcome to the site.

Isn't that the problem with new people they tend to cover old groound...

Damn newbies....

Yeah, I know about the snatch block route and plan on using it, but when truck is fully loaded and entirely bogged down I would like have the reinsurance of pulling at least 2 times the weight of the truck.

Actually the Wrecker is what gave me the idea for mounting the 50K winch in the rear, that and the Kraz 255b. Plus I want to put the M35A3's CTIS system on it with 16:00x20's or 14:00x20's for serious off road work.

So how do you like the 11:00x20's off road? I don't see why they wouldn't work in dual configuration since the rims are the same on the M54 and M35 the only difference is the tire's rolling diameter 9:00 v. 11:00 but I've read conflicting reports and have not seen anything to suggest something about perhaps using a spacer in the M35. Do you use your truck on road most or off? I plan on driving my on road mostly for the first 6 months and than after University I'll go more off road... Right now I just don't have the time.

tiger422

On this trip you are planing sounds like you need to think about lots of spare parts tires and tools. You also better know your truck inside out it could be a long walk.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you installed a radio without some kind of headset I don't know how you'd ever hear it. I'd say if you just pulled off one battery the radio would draw enough power to hurt.

The CTIS isn't very reliable on the A3. Not something I'd wan't making a trip like your talking about.

Yes you can run 11.00-20s duals.

jatonka

New guy questions

My observations:
1 the 11.00x 20 tires will and do work well on M35 rims in dual configuration as long as your suspension parts are in good condition. I am on a 6500 mile convoy at present and I have no inner tire to suspension rubbing problem, however, off roading is a different game and they will rub the inner tire against the bearing caps on the center of the bogie system. Mine have only slightly with no visible marks left on the tires.
2 I would NEVER install CTIS on a vehicle I was planning on being dependable, find any Army or National Guard mechanic and ask him.
3 I don't know much about true Bio-diesel, I do know straight WVO will affect your rubber parts in the fuel system, from filter gaskets to the IP seals. That is not making for a dependable vehicle. I would use a good lubricity additive with real Bio-diesel to protect your fuel system.
4 I have tapped one battery for 12 volt accessories and I am currently using a 24 volt to 12 volt DC convertor and am totally happy with the convertor vs. what happened to my batteries when I just tapped one for 12 volt usage.
TThese are strictly my personnal views not those of anyone who knows everything. JT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks