• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Something concerning in the TM

Texascarnivor

I am picking up my first deuce in 12 days. I have been reading the TMs religiously for the past month and this on line has really stuck out.

Is is there something magically bad that happens. Is this like crossing the beams in Ghostbusters. Seems like there might be a better solution than "run away!!!"

Attachments

Another Ahab

Congratulations on reading your TM's (not everybody starts out that way, and it is wise to do so).

There are numerous threads related to "Run Away" engines. You won't regret spending a little time on the topic (not to cause cold fear, but just to advise caution and awareness).

And Welcome, by the way. This is the State of Virginia saying "Hey!"

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are speaking in terms of a "run away engine" where for some reason the engine continues to get fuel and increase RPM until it self-destructs. This is sometimes caused by fuel in the oil reaching a high level which results in the fuel/oil mixture getting sucked into the cylinders and not being able to shut the engine down normally (ask me how I know this). It can also be caused by a malfunctioning fuel pump. When this happens the only way to stop it is to cut the air supply completely off. Otherwise you run for it.

mbehne

Lol!!! Run away and take cover seems appropriate too me, as Uncle Sam was the owner, not me.

I think your question really depends on the situation. If your unable to shut down with the fuel cutoff and the engines @ idle, no problem, grab a cool beverage and start trying different things until she listens. On the other hand, with one the will not shut down and stuck at WTFO or higher, cover seems like a good option at the time. Try searching run away diesel and I think you will get the picture. Having had one go way faster than requested, a soldier b and some luck is very helpful...along with being somewhat prepaired.

Last edited:

Texascarnivor

The wording is what made me laugh so hard. There was nothing about if the rpms rise uncontrollably. I just remember the station wagon my dad had in the 70s that would run for about a minute after you turned it off.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry, when an engine is starting to run away, your little Jiminy Cricket on you shoulder will be telling you to "RUN, FORREST, RUN!!! An engine that is starting to run away is readily apparent, and should scare the bejeebus out of any normal person, who will automatically get the **** out of Dodge. If you are ever working on the injection system, it's a good idea to have a CO2 extinguisher handy to get the engine stopped in case of a runaway. Otherwise, run.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, Just put it in 5th gear, dump the clutch, while standing on the brakes. Some will plug the air intake with a board. The Co2 would be handy too.

ATPTac

Nah, Just put it in 5th gear, dump the clutch, while standing on the brakes. Some will plug the air intake with a board. The Co2 would be handy too.
That's one of those common sense things that I would have never thought of until after my engine blew up... :oops: Thanks for posting that, now if I ever have this come up I'll know what to do without freaking out and running.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's part of the reason I don't clamp the mushroom on. I can just pull it off and plug the air intake.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's part of the reason I don't clamp the mushroom on. I can just pull it off and plug the air intake.
You know, there's another port on the airbox that air can be sucked through right? I believe it's to connect the draft tube or plumb in the submersion kit to. In any case, I'm sure the engine would keep on running with the main port plugged.

Triple C

Unless you already have the hood up, I don't think a person will be too inclined to take the time to do that as the engine goes into an uncontrolled spin up. I did know a guy who threw his jacket over the intake of a 8v71 that took off; it shredded his jacket and shot pieces out the resonator! If you do happen to be in a situation where the motor goes into a run away condition and you already have access to the intake, don't use just anything, make it solid.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do know about that other port and have blocked it being that I'm not using a fording kit and don't want critters moving in.
I'm also NOT saying that it's the only option, or that it is the only thing that I might do, but it is WHY I have the mushroom un-clamped.
Like Gimpy says dumping the clutch in a high gear is always a good way to stop an engine, but if I'm out of the cab it might not be my first choice. :)
Like any situation, quick eval is the way forward.

lavarok

You know, there's another port on the airbox that air can be sucked through right? I believe it's to connect the draft tube or plumb in the submersion kit to. In any case, I'm sure the engine would keep on running with the main port plugged.
It does....been there done that...not a day I like to remember. I like the Co2 idea.

iatractor

How common is it to have this happen in a multi-fuel? I know Mike had this happen not very long ago, but it seems the stories about this dilemma tend to happen with various Detroit Diesels more than others. It can happen on any diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks