• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for 6TL Battery

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to some research by tnmogger, we've been able to order NAPA Part BAT-7256 and come up with a 6TL battery. Cost is around $200/ea, but they gave me 20% off with the "bucket sale" I spent $195 out the door including tax and three tubes of grease.

IMG_4469.jpgIMG_4468.jpgIMG_4470.jpg

It it is a US Dept of Commerce and State Dept controlled item not for export... the real deal.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out Walmart 24Fs for around $93 each. They generally fit into the stock location on an M939 series truck (I recognize this thread is about FMTVS...but I'd check them out). They are not a perfect match by any stretch, but they fit width-wise...they are just short length-wise. Still the standard battery hold down will work. I used to always insist on replacing my batteries with 6TLs because they are correct. For guys who know me, know my trucks, correctness is of utmost importance to me. However, I have been converted on the batteries. Four of these guys turn over an NHC250 like its 90 degrees out in the dead of winter. Been very happy with these, and I have ECHO11 to thank for the suggestion.

scottmandu

Check out Walmart 24Fs for around $93 each. They generally fit into the stock location on an M939 series truck (I recognize this thread is about FMTVS...but I'd check them out). They are not a perfect match by any stretch, but they fit width-wise...they are just short length-wise. Still the standard battery hold down will work. I used to always insist on replacing my batteries with 6TLs because they are correct. For guys who know me, know my trucks, correctness is of utmost importance to me. However, I have been converted on the batteries. Four of these guys turn over an NHC250 like its 90 degrees out in the dead of winter. Been very happy with these, and I have ECHO11 to thank for the suggestion.
I used 4 24F without mods to the battery tray and 6 24f's with modifications to the tray.
2016-11-28 17.46.47.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a buddy that runs an automotive shop. He has a Napa account. I'll have to see what his cost is on these!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used 4 24F without mods to the battery tray and 6 24f's with modifications to the tray.
View attachment 688709
Very nice. I think I remember another thread where you discussed this, no? I don't remember if you said this...why six batteries? Four were not enough cranking amps? Six at 780 or so CCAs seems like quite a bit...but I am sure you have your reasons. Curious about this.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should export 6TLs to all unfriendly nations.
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree. I have rarely gotten good use out of my 6TLs. I am sure a lot of it has to do with how most of us use these trucks (i.e., they tend to sit for extended periods of time). However, I drive my M925A2 a good amount and start it regularly...every month for sure, but almost always every couple of weeks. I got less than three years out of at least one of my 6TLs. The dead battery killed its mate. Fortunately, I figured it out and converted the truck to two 6TLs (and removed the two dead batteries) and that saved those two. So, my truck is now running on two three-year old 6TLs. I will definitely go to 24Fs when these two go. I can see a reason to stick with stock...but you'd have to be able to easily see the batteries (as in it was part of the "display").

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa batteries are made by excide. make sure you are getting fresh product. In another lifetime I ran a NAPA distribution center. These are not hot sellers and can sit in a dc 6-12 months plus...

O"reilly also sells it. Same battery from excide. They tend to keep fresher stock because of a vastly simpler distribution system. Stores do not carry but can get in one day.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBL/6TL/N0369.oap?ck=Search_N0369_-1_-1&pt=N0369&ppt=C0327

Funny thing is I tried buying straight from Excide DC and told to pound sand due to the trade control bs... But they can slap a napa or oreilly label and out the door it goes....

jbayer

Napa batteries are made by excide. make sure you are getting fresh product. In another lifetime I ran a NAPA distribution center. These are not hot sellers and can sit in a dc 6-12 months plus...

O"reilly also sells it. Same battery from excide. They tend to keep fresher stock because of a vastly simpler distribution system. Stores do not carry but can get in one day.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBL/6TL/N0369.oap?ck=Search_N0369_-1_-1&pt=N0369&ppt=C0327

Funny thing is I tried buying straight from Excide DC and told to pound sand due to the trade control bs... But they can slap a napa or oreilly label and out the door it goes....
I'm using the O'reilly's 6TL's. No complaints, almost a year now.
They also have the exact same US Commerce, not for export decal on top

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting TNriverjet. When I went looking for 6TMF batteries, the NAPA guy thought they could get batteries of same manufacturing date. I had told him not to gather batteries from different places of different ages because it's necessary to have similar batteries in a series-parallel system. My four new batteries are not only just a couple of weeks old but had consecutive serial numbers (beyond my expections). Try that at Walmart.

But from responses above we should have used different batteries, and our 6TMFs are crap. But they are consecutively numbered crap, and absolutely no mods had to be done to install them...and they are purty... :)

The real question is: why do the upper pairs of batteries on the FMTV's go bad first. I suspect it's the nature of the battery's ground reference of the 'upper' batteries. The charge voltage for that pair is referenced to chassis ground in the alternator but the actual physical negative terminal voltage of the upper batteries is whatever the charge voltage of the "lower" pair above chassis ground, as maintained by the alternator (also chassis ground referenced).

Some recording of voltage history across the upper batteries might be interesting. If the average voltage across the upper batteries is low enough to prevent full charging, that could account for the cells going high resistance.

Rotating batteries (swapping High position to low position and vice versa) would undoubtedly help, but who has done that routinely!? That will be on my maintenance plan in the future.

But I did get 7 years out of the old 6TMF's and their history was unknown.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got them all installed today... As you can see I have 3 original batteries that I was able to revive with the NOCO genius charger. I have added the NAPA battery on the low side since those tend to stay around longer and not crash. I did replace one cable end connector with a HD universal bolt on post clamp.
IMG_4482.jpgIMG_4484.jpg

I understand that it may not be recommended to mix/match batteries like this, but that's what I did. I can be the guinea pig for others.

I felt pretty good about the other three since I ran them 2-3 times on the NOCO. They came up to full the second and third times with no serious charging drama. YMMV.

Thanks again to tnmogger for finding out NAPA could order these. I called my store in Nashville and they had it shipped up from New Orleans in 2 days. They didn't charge me anything until I came to pick it up Fri.

Scrounger

The NAPA batteries around here are Deka, manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing. The batteries made by Deka and Excide are mil spec. The ones sold by Interstate are not mil spec. From my experience, I have found that the Interstate batteries only last two maybe three years. The Deka batteries last upwards of eight to ten years. Just like anything they do need maintenance. Kept clean, charged and rotated. I should do more however as an example of what they can take. Last year, 2016, after returning from Aberdeen I parked the M931A2 and didn’t get back to it for 51 weeks. After cleaning the spider webs out of the cab, it started right up. Those batteries are four years old. I tested them upon my return from Aberdeen this year and they show plenty of life left.
If one can put off buying batteries right away they can be obtained from most NAPA’s for a slightly reduced price. The thing is to buy them in quantity and order them to come in with the large battery drop. It reduces the freight costs and most NAPA’s will past the savings.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NAPA batteries around here are Deka, manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing. The batteries made by Deka and Excide are mil spec. The ones sold by Interstate are not mil spec. From my experience, I have found that the Interstate batteries only last two maybe three years. The Deka batteries last upwards of eight to ten years. Just like anything they do need maintenance. Kept clean, charged and rotated. I should do more however as an example of what they can take. Last year, 2016, after returning from Aberdeen I parked the M931A2 and didn’t get back to it for 51 weeks. After cleaning the spider webs out of the cab, it started right up. Those batteries are four years old. I tested them upon my return from Aberdeen this year and they show plenty of life left.
If one can put off buying batteries right away they can be obtained from most NAPA’s for a slightly reduced price. The thing is to buy them in quantity and order them to come in with the large battery drop. It reduces the freight costs and most NAPA’s will past the savings.
My deuce came from auction with 2 year old Interstate 6TL's in it , they lasted another 6 years before I had to replace them.

90Jimmy

This appears to be the most current thread about replacing 6TL batteries and since I am about to buy my first ever pair of 6TL batteries for my m1009 I figured this is the spot for my question.

I see a 6TL Wet and a 6TMFD Dry, they are similar in price at my local O'Reilly's. Wet or Dry is my question, any guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With dry, you have the added cost of buying acid. You then would fill your own and charge it up yourself. Get wet and tell the counterman to order you in "current fresh date codes". Make sure they have not sat in the store for a long time. Check the round sticker with date code on side.

My son works for them and I have used their 6tl made by excide with no problems.

Scrounger

The catalogs may still list them as wet or dry, however it would be most surprising to be able to buy them dry. Some time ago the feds determined that the 6TL is an export-controlled item and cannot be sold dry. It could be shipped out of the country easier dry and has essentially an unlimited shelf life. If you do manage to get them dry they take approximately one gallon of electrolyte per battery.

spankybear

This appears to be the most current thread about replacing 6TL batteries and since I am about to buy my first ever pair of 6TL batteries for my m1009 I figured this is the spot for my question.

I see a 6TL Wet and a 6TMFD Dry, they are similar in price at my local O'Reilly's. Wet or Dry is my question, any guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
I personally would not use 6TL in a CUCV. The battery holders have a tendency to rip away from the fenders. The added weight of the 6tl just makes this happen at a faster rate. Group 31 batteries also fit in the holders and are a tad lighter. I use Group 31 in all of the CUCV I has and never had an issue. Plus you can find group 31 blems much easier.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The catalogs may still list them as wet or dry, however it would be most surprising to be able to buy them dry. Some time ago the feds determined that the 6TL is an export-controlled item and cannot be sold dry. It could be shipped out of the country easier dry and has essentially an unlimited shelf life. If you do manage to get them dry they take approximately one gallon of electrolyte per battery.
Fairly common here in michigan to get them dry , that's how I bought mine ($125) from member Jeffmule (General Jims Surplus) ,it costs $8 to fill both batteries this was 2 years ago.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally would not use 6TL in a CUCV. The battery holders have a tendency to rip away from the fenders. The added weight of the 6tl just makes this happen at a faster rate. Group 31 batteries also fit in the holders and are a tad lighter. I use Group 31 in all of the CUCV I has and never had an issue. Plus you can find group 31 blems much easier.
I was going to say the same thing...Group 31s in a CUCV work well...and they will be cheaper. I bought mine at Tractor Supply a while back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks