• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for 6TL Battery

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having good results with my Advance Auto (yes, I know) Group 31's in a HMMWV. Part of the reason I bought them is the convenience of having AA two blocks away and I know the clerks fairly well, in case I had problems.

I made a desulfating charger and did all kind of other tricks and techniques to revive the old Interstate 6TL's that came in it, but nothing worked.

The upshot is 6TL's have a lot of mass, and when you take two of them to an Interstate Battery Center that has scales for the lead bounty, those 6TLs will buy you lunch at least. Between those 6TLs and the dozen motorcycle batteries I had sitting around, I turned in 271 pounds of salvage at $0.23/lb. It wasn't a huge amount of money, but more than paid for fuel and lunch with a little left over.

Bulldogger

90Jimmy

I personally would not use 6TL in a CUCV. The battery holders have a tendency to rip away from the fenders. The added weight of the 6tl just makes this happen at a faster rate. Group 31 batteries also fit in the holders and are a tad lighter. I use Group 31 in all of the CUCV I has and never had an issue. Plus you can find group 31 blems much easier.
will the group 31 work with the OE M1009 battery hold down assembly?

spankybear

will the group 31 work with the OE M1009 battery hold down assembly?
As stated yes they will. You will have to adjust the hold down on the fender (bracket thingy) to match the height. The bracket has 2 sets of holes to allow for height adjustment. You will also need to move the rods to the appropriate place. Look at the top hold down and you should see the holes along with the guides (what where you want to call them) to accommodate the two size batteries. You have to ask for post terminals to make thing easy. Group 31 come in threaded or post. I get my batteries from interstate and I get blems. They run around 35 bucks in my area of operation and I have had zero issues with them and have gotten many years of service out of them.

themeec

Very nice. I think I remember another thread where you discussed this, no? I don't remember if you said this...why six batteries? Four were not enough cranking amps? Six at 780 or so CCAs seems like quite a bit...but I am sure you have your reasons. Curious about this.
Raising this thread from the grave to see if anyone had any further comments on the question above. I'm looking to put some fresh batteries in my truck, and like the idea of the smaller format 24F. If I only need 4, having the extra space would be awfully nice.

spankybear

Raising this thread from the grave to see if anyone had any further comments on the question above. I'm looking to put some fresh batteries in my truck, and like the idea of the smaller format 24F. If I only need 4, having the extra space would be awfully nice.
I got my 24Fs from Interstate Battery and got "blems" for 29.99 each. I have had zero issues with blems and have been running for years. . They also have a 1 year non prorated Warranty .

I think the next time I got battries I think I'll get 2 24F and 2 24. The "F" is for Ford and the terimnals are swapped. I think that getting 2 F and 2 non F may fit better.

themeec

I got my 24Fs from Interstate Battery and got "blems" for 29.99 each. I have had zero issues with blems and have been running for years. . They also have a 1 year non prorated Warranty .

I think the next time I got battries I think I'll get 2 24F and 2 24. The "F" is for Ford and the terimnals are swapped. I think that getting 2 F and 2 non F may fit better.
So to clarify, you've been running 4 with no issues so far? Good news if so, also good tip on the F/non-F fitment, will give that looksee.

Asymair95

So to clarify, you've been running 4 with no issues so far? Good news if so, also good tip on the F/non-F fitment, will give that looksee.

Yup, four 24s for me also. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with 31s though for the higher cca and lower height. When it’s around zero degrees, those extra cca come in handy.

themeec

Yup, four 24s for me also. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with 31s though for the higher cca and lower height. When it’s around zero degrees, those extra cca come in handy.
Great! I'll check those out as well, thanks for the input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks