• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Space- The Final Frontier (mounting camper box on LMTV)

coachgeo

- discussions on the OEM mounting of the box on the 1079 point out a gap is left between box's sub frame and the chassis. That is interesting point that have not seen discussed nor really even built back into others who turned LMTV into a camper.

- other boxes on other rigs .. they sit the box directly on chassis with wood or more modern material between.. even if they do have small allowed movement (similar captured spring to 1079 set up

- granted superflexy box mounts have huge gaps siting well above the chassis so the built in pivots allow the truck chassis to twist wildly without interference from the box mounting.

what do ya'll genius in here think about this gap intentionally left into the M1079 system? It's about a 1/4" all the way along truck chassis between where mounts to truck chassis are .... thus ONLY support of the box is- the 4 mounting pads (two up front are captured spring though)

Attachments

Last edited:

Third From Texas

- discussions on the OEM mounting of the box on the 1079 point out a gap is left between box's sub frame and the chassis. That is interesting point that have not seen discussed nor really even built back into others who turned LMTV into a camper.
Not sure what's to discuss. The sprung separation is between the box sub and the upper of the two frames on the truck. A gap is expected as the weight of it all rests on the capture points. It could be a faction of an inch or as much as the spring releases when stretched. It's only a small gap at rest. Twist the **** outta the truck and look at it again.

- other boxes on other rigs .. they sit the box directly on chassis with wood or more modern material between.. even if they do have small allowed movement (similar captured spring to 1079 set up
Different designs. Can you slip a wood/Teflon barrier in there? Sure, if you want to re-align the spring mounts to allow for the added filler. I guess. I wouldn't bother. The M1079 is proof that two frames sitting metal-to-metal are not needed. Don't know what else there is to say about that. If you want to make something custom, that's up to you. Is it needed? Not on an M1079 (or identical design). Deviate from that and your engineering your own territory. It's not designed to rest frame-to-subframe.

- granted superflexy box mounts have huge gaps siting well above the chassis so the built in pivots allow the truck chassis to twist wildly without interference from the box mounting.
Not seeing the relevance other than the M1079 has a tiny gap vs they have HUGE gaps. Want a bigger gap? Re-weld your captured spring catches accordingly and add longer bolts/springs....make as much of a gap as you see fit (sounds like a HUGE failure point to me).

what do ya'll genius in here think about this gap intentionally left into the M1079 system? It's about a 1/4" all the way along truck chassis between where mounts to truck chassis are .... thus ONLY support of the box is- the 4 mounting pads (two up front are captured spring though)
By design. Ever seen an M1079 with an issue resulting from this? I haven't. Why **** up a good thing?

You have the right truck. You have an M1079 box. You have the M1079 capture spring hardware. I know what I'd do in your shoes...

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

I dont have a 1079 box (sold it to put a lighter not as tall box on mine) and many in here who will be building their own likely not be building up an LMTV overlander with a 1079 box either (except the guy I sold my box too :ROFLMAO: ) ... Contemplating my build is why the the question(s)... figured someone else who had not really noticed the gap might find it interesting as well.

why do folk think SStevenson went this route in their design? Have honestly never seen a captured spring design without box sitting right on the truck chassis.... or maybe Ive just not noticed it?

coachgeo

wowza..... just looked..... not sure why this little detail had not hit me before..... but the ambulance box Im using.. IT TOO did not sit on the truck chassis (judging by the pics I got from the seller who removed the box (he wanted the truck) image10Shrnk.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks