• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare storage on M936 and M936A1 trucks...is there a difference?

goldneagle

I upgraded the tires on my M936 wrecker to the 14.00-20 tires and rims. According to my measurements the spare tire is gonna be a tight fit if it fits at all. I measured 13-1/2" opening in the floor between the tool boxes and the tire support wall. I got approx. 14-1/2" for the tire sidewall to sidewall. Tread area is narrower.

I know the A2 rear area is different according to Jeff Davis. Can someone with a M936A1 check the spare mount for me. Possibly with pictures?

I was told I could insert the spare while deflated and then add air. I have a feeling that will cause issues when it's time to remove it or open the tool boxes. The piano hinges are going to rub badly on the spare.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my M936 I was thinking of doing the same thing and I had a guy here on SS look at his M936A1 and he sent me some pics of his tool box and sizes. I can not find the pics or remember his name.
But the 14.00x20 was not going to fit in the spares spot.
I will keep looking for the pics.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put it there deflated, then inflate prior to use? Carry just a spare tire with no rim and go to all the trouble to mount it if you have to?

My understanding is the a1 and a2 are different and that the a0 won't accommodate the wider tire in the stock position.

goldneagle

Put it there deflated, then inflate prior to use? Carry just a spare tire with no rim and go to all the trouble to mount it if you have to?

My understanding is the a1 and a2 are different and that the a0 won't accommodate the wider tire in the stock position.
Is that a guess or actual fact. Have you owned or seen an actual A1. I know the A2 is a different design as stated earlier.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A0 and And A1/A2 are different. Its in the TM's. Even the "boom" is different, obviously the tire weight differences required more strength in design.

goldneagle

Time to cut and weld. I am going to have to mount a 1600 in there soon.
According to M35A2-AZ they made the tool box narrower to accommodate the wider tires. Here are the pictures he sent me. He gave a 20" measurement for the width of the tool box on A1 and A2 models. I will measure my A0 today to verify it is wider.

Attachments

goldneagle

I measured the width of the tool box in the back of my M936A0 wrecker. I got 23" wide. According to M35A2-AZ the M936A1 has a 20" wide tool box. SO that is how they got the additional space to put the super single spare in back of the wrecker.

Upon inspection it looks like the tool box is welded into place. There seems to be a solid bead all the length of the tool box back wall. To move the back wall of the tool box would be quite a project. It might be easier to fabricate a different mount in that area to support the spare.

Has anyone managed to mount a super single spare in the back of their M936A0 truck?

SLOrazorsedge

Yup, my A1 tool box is 20" wide and the "pocket" for the 14R20 spare is 17" wide from the piano hinge edge of the tool box to the opposite side. The pocket is actually wider on the interior by approx 2" if you were to measure under each edge of the lip. I don't know what the welded mounting bracket looks like on the A/O, but if it were similar to the A1, it seems you could cut it out, lift it and and set it back towards the cab using the existing bracket on the cab side of the front edge of the bed. There is at least 6-8" of room available. In fact there is enough room available that someday I plan to fabricate a "wrecker tree" using that bracket on the opposite side of the spare tire bracket. That way your 14R20 would look pretty much OEM except it would be lifted out of the pocket and set back towards the cab. The pocket could then be utilized for additional storage.

Csm Davis

Yup, my A1 tool box is 20" wide and the "pocket" for the 14R20 spare is 17" wide from the piano hinge edge of the tool box to the opposite side. The pocket is actually wider on the interior by approx 2" if you were to measure under each edge of the lip. I don't know what the welded mounting bracket looks like on the A/O, but if it were similar to the A1, it seems you could cut it out, lift it and and set it back towards the cab using the existing bracket on the cab side of the front edge of the bed. There is at least 6-8" of room available. In fact there is enough room available that someday I plan to fabricate a "wrecker tree" using that bracket on the opposite side of the spare tire bracket. That way your 14R20 would look pretty much OEM except it would be lifted out of the pocket and set back towards the cab. The pocket could then be utilized for additional storage.
I have seen that done on some of the uparmored 936s. I had forgotten about that mod just cut off the mounting bracket and raise it high enough to clear everything and weld it back on.

goldneagle

I came up with another idea on getting the Super Single Spare tire to fit in the slot on the M936A0. I was out this evening looking at the area and it hit me. Why not cut the cap on top of the wall off wide enough to fit the spare. I will also need to cut the two 3x3 support STUDS in the middle of that wall. That can be done cleanly with a plasma cutter. Next cut the tire bracket off. Install a 3" by 3" 1/4" or thicker angle on the opposite side of the wall and bolt or weld 2 vertical angles as gussets on the back side of the wall. Then weld the spare mounting bracket to the new angle (top of wall)

This design allows the spare tire to sit on the floor like the original one did without modifying the tool box.

I would like some feedback as to my idea.

Csm Davis

I came up with another idea on getting the Super Single Spare tire to fit in the slot on the M936A0. I was out this evening looking at the area and it hit me. Why not cut the cap on top of the wall off wide enough to fit the spare. I will also need to cut the two 3x3 support STUDS in the middle of that wall. That can be done cleanly with a plasma cutter. Next cut the tire bracket off. Install a 3" by 3" 1/4" or thicker angle on the opposite side of the wall and bolt or weld 2 vertical angles as gussets on the back side of the wall. Then weld the spare mounting bracket to the new angle (top of wall)

This design allows the spare tire to sit on the floor like the original one did without modifying the tool box.

I would like some feedback as to my idea.
So you are saying cut the plate off towards the cab of the truck and make the spare tire box bigger? If so I think it is a good idea but on that note does anybody know what is supposed to be mounted in the area zev is talking about there is a mount there that I have seen used for lots of things but nothing that looked right.

goldneagle

So you are saying cut the plate off towards the cab of the truck and make the spare tire box bigger? If so I think it is a good idea but on that note does anybody know what is supposed to be mounted in the area zev is talking about there is a mount there that I have seen used for lots of things but nothing that looked right.
On mine there is a mount there that looks like it would take a Jerry Can bracket on it. That can be mounted over the the new gussets (if I use square tubing instead of angles for the gussets) There is also a light pole and frame storage that will need to be moved. I will draw a sketch of what i am suggesting and post it later. I will measure the spot to make sure there is enough space on the cab side of the wall. Pictures of existing area to follow later today.

Vintage iron

I looked at my M936 after reading this thread. I would not cut the boxes. I am with CMS Davis cut the support and wall. There is plenty of room going towards the cab.