• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire mount options?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Theres many designs on youtube if you have a hitch that keeps the back of the truck clean till you need a crane/lift to do what ever then put it away !
Heck of a nice build idea.

Tightly affixed to the vehicle.
One extra mounting point.
Out of the way for loading.
Variable outrigger for leveling.

All of that is great if the operator is smart enough to never let go of the boat winch handle on the way down. That mistake makes a gosh-awful woo-woo-woo sound as the handle spins. Pitch goes up as it gets faster - and you can't get your hand out of the way fast enough! That slap-slap-slap sound is almost sickening as the rotating handle beats your hand...

coachgeo

one of the better... yet simple design ideas...

am pursing to see if he has this posted in someplace more shareable.

it is essentually twp of these. Each side on rear of dove tail of FMTV camper box. Longer cable and each lowered/raised by ATV winch.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

This is one of the coolest rear decks that I've seen. You could substitute bikes, spares, etc for the box.
Or keep the box as housing for the tire changers/servant staff...

My only issue with it is "what happens when you back up to an incline/hill/lake/or irregular surface."
You're a good 10" longer when parked.

Still. brutally epic build !

329510493_719887643024168_2556916957986700924_n.jpg

328730328_669683941572579_4354457517974002085_n.jpg

You could go with a "trophy truck" setup (which also incorporates a lot of usable space.

80666881_10159028906844186_5297458365633396736_o.jpg

Tons of crane and lift ideas out there...

126142317_10222422177719962_1131692169847985035_n.jpg75282231_2584977078404105_2562360343284154368_n.jpg

Then there's the double stack outward (which saves space).

75246607_2606741386049383_11564457142517760_o.jpg

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of placing the weight out far/aft/high but ymmv....

Last edited:

coachgeo

I am contemplating something like this…..

Also like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
with a longer arm that folds in middle or so...... you could prior to lower... swing it all way out to the side... pull pins.. allowing hinge to knock the arm 90 degree that tires hangs from.... resulting in tire now sitting about exacly over the rear axle. As you finish lowering it down..... your right next to your axle end. Mayyyyyybe with engineering wizardry you could even; as you lower it... guide it right onto the lug bolts.

granted.... if it is a front tire...... your back to a shiat job of rolling the tire from spot it was lowered... to the front for installing and pray you dont drop it.... (cause if your a skinny ass person like me... now you cant stand it back up and your fawked ... untill you put yourself together a temporary lever to tilt it up a bit... then give yourself a hernia standing it up the rest of the way.... only to drop it again on the next clump of grass/bush you could not get it to roll over)

So with that in mind...... the rack and lowering device...... is only small part of the system. Also make sure you have a sound way to MOVE THE TIRE to where it will be mounted and a way to move the flat one (that may not roll) back to the rack. Also a way to pick up the tire if you drop it. (YOU WILL DROP IT by demand of Murphy's Laws) ..... so either carry a platoon with you- or create some wheeled craddle thing that prevents it falling over as you move it, or roof to winches to pull it back up orr?

Last edited:

ramdough

with a longer arm that folds in middle or so...... you could prior to lower... swing it all way out to the side... pull pins.. allowing hinge to knock the arm 90 degree that tires hangs from.... resulting in tire now sitting about exacly over the rear axle. As you finish lowering it down..... your right next to your axle end. Mayyyyyybe with engineering wizardry you could even; as you lower it... guide it right onto the lug bolts.

granted.... if it is a front tire...... your back to a shiat job of rolling the tire from spot it was lowered... to the front for installing and pray you dont drop it.... (cause if your a skinny ass person like me... now you cant stand it back up and your fawked ... untill you put yourself together a temporary lever to tilt it up a bit... then give yourself a hernia standing it up the rest of the way.... only to drop it again on the next clump of grass/bush you could not get it to roll over)

So with that in mind...... the rack and lowering device...... is only small part of the system. Also make sure you have a sound way to MOVE THE TIRE to where it will be mounted and a way to move the flat one (that may not roll) back to the rack. Also a way to pick up the tire if you drop it. (YOU WILL DROP IT by demand of Murphy's Laws) ..... so either carry a platoon with you- or create some wheeled craddle thing that prevents it falling over as you move it, or roof to winches to pull it back up orr?
Coach,

While your ideas are possible, they won’t work in my set up.

I think I can handle rolling a tire and using a shovel to get it back on. Plus, I have 6 tires. I am going to have to roll most likely anyway.

Thanks

therealquaid

I am contemplating something like this…..

Also like this one.

Did you end up finding something like these or are you fabricating your own? I’m still searching for an option that works with a departure angle habitat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks