• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire mounting on a CDN M101 trailer

Lex_Ordo

This is where I bought my mount from. The contact name is Sung Yoon. His e-mail and tel are at the bottom of the page.
Iltis
There are three pieces to the mount, the actual mount, which is in primer white, the hub with the Iltis bolt pattern(this is what the wheel attaches to), and the hex head cap screw that holds the hub to the mount. It actually is made so the wheel's back spacing goes over the mount so it gives it a low profile. I reversed the wheel to make it fit. Kind of like the wheel mount on the M151.

I think for the GI wheel, you would need the mount, but then you need something to bolt the wheel to and attach that the mount with the cap screw.
The key here is the hub with the correct bolt pattern, because this is what gives you the increased spacing off the body so the brake lever is clear. This mount may not work for you. You might need to find a different one.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here is how I did mine.. Thank you VERY MUCH to the SS guy who hooked me up with the tire winch and crank. I owe ya one!

I reinforced the frame cross member with 3/8th bar stock, bolted the winch to it (off center of course, as to have the chain itself centered).
I added 2 rubber bumpers to the next forward cross member where the front of the tire contacted it. I drilled a hole for the crank, which I welded a nut the same size as the lug bolts so I could use the lug bolt wrench to crank it up and down. For the back, my temporary solution to keep the tire solid to the frame is a big rubber bump stop from NAPA ($7.00) that I insert about 3/4 of the way when cranking the tire up, and wind the winch up tight to it. The top of the bump stop contacts the tub floor itself.. Im not happy about it, and in the future will weld in a piece of angle iron as cross member for the rear of the tire.. But it works for now..

Comments, anyone?

Attachments

Last edited:

Nick

This is where I bought my mount from. The contact name is Sung Yoon. His e-mail and tel are at the bottom of the page.
Iltis
There are three pieces to the mount, the actual mount, which is in primer white, the hub with the Iltis bolt pattern(this is what the wheel attaches to), and the hex head cap screw that holds the hub to the mount. It actually is made so the wheel's back spacing goes over the mount so it gives it a low profile. I reversed the wheel to make it fit. Kind of like the wheel mount on the M151.

This mount may not work for you. You might need to find a different one.

So in other words it may not work on the M101 split ring wheel? I tried the link and it didnt work, maybe I'll see if I can get lucky and find a Civi Power Wagon spare tire mount, then it would match my truck.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One word of warning.. The CANADAIN M101 trailer is a 1/4 ton trailer, and is equivalent to the US M416 trailer (also a 1/4 ton trailer) The US M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer. Confusing, isnt it?

T

ColdWarCanada

Need M101 CND2 power cable with trailer connector

Well, here is how I did mine.. Thank you VERY MUCH to the SS guy who hooked me up with the tire winch and crank. I owe ya one!

Comments, anyone?
Nice set-up. Where did you get the tire winch and crank from? I would like to try the same set-up. I just picked up a second M101 CND2 1/4 ton trailer to use with my Iltis collection. Still snow on the ground, but it was just above freezing today. Spent some quality time on the driveway getting the parking brake working on the trailer. This latest trailer was first purchased at auction about 2 years ago, then sat on a farm (only used for fire wood hauling).

Parking brakes now working, tires now 44 PSI, and greased the front lunette fitting. The grease in the lunette was very dry.......

Any Canadian members who have a spare electrical cable with Nato trailer light connector? The fellow who had this trailer started a 24-12 VDC conversion, and took off the MIL connector....... now I need to revert it back to 24 VDC.

Cheers!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told the winch and crank came from a Toyota pickup truck.

As for the electrical connection, it's a standard cable thats used on all US military trailers, so finding one should be pretty easy. I made a test run of over 1000 miles this week with the spare tire setup. It didnt move at all. Im happy with it, just need to weld in the additional crossmember to get rid of the rubber bumpstop.

I just checked ebay, and it looks alot like this setup. Ebay item # 160319206844 That would work well too. All you need to do is fab up a crank.

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

If it is just the intervehiclular cable that goes from the trailer's tongue to the tow vehical that you need, then You can get them at Saturn Surplus. It has the std, 12 pin nato plug.
Look under the Trailers tab, 416

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks