• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire mounting on a CDN M101 trailer

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I have a Candaian M101 trailer (NOT a US M101) It's basically a M416 trailer. I am trying to figure out how to mount a spare tire UNDER the bed. There is plenty of room under there, and I dont go off roading. I do take the trailer on alot of highway trips, and usually throw the spare tire in the bed of the trailer or tow vehicle, which consumes cargo space. Changing out the hubs/rims/tires to match the tow vehicle is not an option, as I have 3 possible tow vehicles, all different tires/rims/hub patterns... Im thinking some kind of tire winch like pick up trucks have.

Thoughts?

Armada

A spare tire carrier from a later model gm pick-up comes to mind. It's under the bed towards the rear and uses the jack handle inserted through into an orifice at the rear bumper and then turned or cranked. This feeds out a cable and lowers the spare to the ground. No lifting required. Might be something you could get at a scrap yard and adopt to your application.

citizensoldier

I was going to suggest the M35A2 spare carrier also. I have seen them mounted under the M101 and M105 trailers and its a slick setup. Its a bit of overkill for a M101CDN but they bolt on and it would not take much to modify it.

Steamynachos

I have seen guys use the spare tire winch from a Toyota truck under the bed at the back it"s the same as was mentioned earlier with a cable that hangs down and you just ratchet it up and down and it holds the tire secure.

feileod

Tire winch

Short Story: I too am a fellow CDN2 M101 owner and I have a Toyota tire winch that I recently removed from mine if you want it. Pay for shipping and it is yours.

Long Story: I gave my spare tire to my buddy to get his trailer roll'n. I recently went up a tire size on my jeep and plan to replace my trailer tires shortly with slightly larger ones to bring it back to a level ride. The new trailer tire size, approx 31", won't fit underneath with out rubbing the springs. So I pulled of the winch and welded up the holes and now it is just sitting in the garage.

Shoot me an PM or email if you want more details.:wink:

krick3tt

spare tyre mount

I have a M416 tailer, my friend from Canada has a Swiss trailer, we both have Pinzgauers. His is 3 inches narrower than my 416. My spare tyre will not fit the space between the springs on his, but will fit mine even though it is a 33 inch tyre for my Pinzgauer.
I don't carry a spare for the trailer, only one for the pinz. I made a spare tyre carrier for the bottom of the trailer from a piece of flat bar and a section of 1/2 inch all thread and locking nuts. It has been on there for 2 years and at least 5000 miles, just hanging on like it was meant to last forever. A spare for the trailer would fit just fine.

I have extra rims for the trailer and may get a spare eventually.

I think originally the M416 spare went on the front of the bed on the drivers side of the trailer. There are holes there that have been patched as if the carrier had been removed and scrapped.

Happy trails,
Morris

ColdWarCanada

Mounting spare tires on M101 CDN2 trailer

The M101 CDN2 Yahoo group has some photo file folders with samples of methods to mount spare tires on the M101 CDN2 trailer.

Lots of options:
There are NOS Bombardier Iltis tire mounts available from Iltis dealers, that can be mounted on the front or rear of the M101 CDN2 trailer. You could also mount underneath at the rear.

There are also some Bombardier Iltis tire mounts that were used on the side of the tailgate and ambulance versions, that could be used for mounting a spare tire.

If you use the original M101 CDN2 tires (which are the same as the Iltis), you should get the centre tire mount assembly as well. See pictures on the M101 CDN2 Yahoo group.

Cheers!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im just not a fan of the tire mounted like that... And I dont know why, I just dont like it...

Lex, whats the dataplate that by the parking brake handle? Mine only has the dataplate on the front pass side with the serial #, ect, in French and English..

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting.. I was able to reggie mine with the metal dataplate only.. Just goes to show how one DVM office differs from the next, even with the same set of laws and rules in the same state...

Nick

Kinda off topic for this trailer, but has anyone ever mounted a spare on an American M101 in somewhat the same manner? I was looking for a way to do it with maybe an M37 spare mount, but not sure where to do it.

The problem being, with an M37 mount, I dont think it would clear the brake handles if I mount it on the front.

Lex_Ordo, does the tire mounted on the front, to the side like that throw the balance of the trailer off any??

Superdave

m101 spare mount

Hello Nick, alot of the Canadian 3/4 ton trailers had a front mount that they used the m37 style spinner and plate to secure it to the mount as seen in the picture. I believe that Ralf from Niagara military in Ontario has some mounts NOS.

Attachments

Nick

See the problem with that is I have the other style brake handles, the flat blade style the pull across the front of the trailer. If I did that, would the tire and mount stick out far enough to clear those handles?

Thanks
Nick

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i also need to mount a spare to a 101 and a 105 as i will be pulling them with 1009 or m35 or m816 as the needs arise

Lex_Ordo

Nick,
No there is no balance issue. The wheel is still centered over the frame, and the tongue weight is 132 lbs. I set it up so the wheel would not extend past the outside line of the body.

Lex_Ordo

Truth be told, I mounted it there only because I wanted to mount my Fuel can bracketrs on the rear and the other side of the tub front. The only place left was the left front of the tub. Fortunately, the mount allows enough room to still operate the hand brake. If it didn't ,I wouldn't have mounted it.

I wanted to mount a Pioneer rack on the tub somewhere, but ran out of room.

I was thinking about under the tub, but I wanted everything in view and accessible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks