• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Specifically, which TM's should I go over for PM Services

trussmark

I'm hopefully taking delivery of my M1097A2 in the next month. I can turn wrenches and change fluids myself, as well as most minor maintenance, but I wanted to know specifically which TM's I should go over to prepare for maintaining my vehicle? My builder will be going through the vehicle from front to back, and replacing old/worn bushings, tie rod ends, etc. I've downloaded and read through several, and some seem to be redundant. 1100 pages can makes your eyes blur. Also, I am old school when it comes to manuals. Where can I get the original hard copies of these manuals? Thanks for your help, in advance.

Flyingvan911

The manuals are set up for various levels of difficulty. Small jobs, medium jobs, and large jobs. I’d recommend downloading all of the latest versions for your model. They are pretty simple overall.

Guyfang

Staff member
Try putting the TM numbers into your browser. I have seen some in flebay. There are people who sell such things. I like paper TM's also. But in this day and age, they are simply toooooooooo big. Also know that what ever you get, may be out of date. Or not have the proper changes dded to them. You need to check that. There are also people who will download the TM's and sell them to you. Not all manuals are allowed to be had by John Q. Public. Yes, even truck manuals. Do you know what TM's you need?

Dock Rocker

Download the digital version so you can use adobe word search. Makes troubleshooting much easier. Start with the -24 manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

I'm hopefully taking delivery of my M1097A2 in the next month. I can turn wrenches and change fluids myself, as well as most minor maintenance, but I wanted to know specifically which TM's I should go over to prepare for maintaining my vehicle? My builder will be going through the vehicle from front to back, and replacing old/worn bushings, tie rod ends, etc. I've downloaded and read through several, and some seem to be redundant. 1100 pages can makes your eyes blur. Also, I am old school when it comes to manuals. Where can I get the original hard copies of these manuals? Thanks for your help, in advance.
If you turn your own wrenches and do minor maintenance yourself, why is someone else going to be replacing simple things for you?

trussmark

I can understand your question. I do not want to try and tie up my guys working on a vehicle they are not familiar with. I realize that is is just a truck, but I feel more comfortable having someone who has taken several vehicles down to the frame and rebuilt them. I would rather pay someone that specializes in the vehicle I'm getting, versus tying up my bays running into road blocks, searching for parts and answers to questions. Yes, I could buy a $5000 truck, when they cost that, and spend my non-existent spare time re-building it, trying to get it registered and titled, or I can go this route. Everyone has their own way of looking at it.

NormB

Call me lucky. I printed every manual, update, MWO on my work printer (high speed LASER) double sided, something like 5,000 pages altogether. Used a hole punch and Stargate SG1 watching time in the evening (well, 11 to midnight) to put it all in binders over several weeks. I also downloaded the heck out of them onto my iphone, ipad, MAC and into a micro SD card I keep in my wallet “just in case”.

There’s something very comforting to set at a table with a cup of coffee and pour over paper manuals, but it’s SO much easier looking stuff up on a PDF file, cutting and pasting an NSN or PN into another search engine like NSN-now, Kascar, Hummerpartsguy, MacMotors, Eriks military surplus, Eastern surplus or several other places.

Also over coffee.

If you’re asking someone else to work on your truck and they’re not familiar with it, having the files/manuals available for them will make their work (and your bills) easier to take.

Action

I had went to Staples to see about getting prints from PDF files. I was told a little over $1 per page. Do the math. Two other printing companies were about the same price, including Kinkos.

KGBruce

I've got a TM Question! Wait just a second so I can put my helmet on for protection!! Trying to look up part #s for a break job on my 1998 M1078. The TM I have downloaded (TM 9-2320-365-24P) shows a diagram that doesn't match my brake layout. My shoe retaining springs are contoured. Clearly different than the one spring that is shown. It also illustrates what appears to be a single action system with both adjusting screws on the same plunger housing. Mine is a double action break (I assumed all 1078's were?) with the adjusting screws on opposite plunger housings and opposite ends. If I can ever locate the parts I don't want to order the wrong ones! Btw, my TM copy supersedes copy dated June 1998. Any help with these break parts would be humbley appreciated! O' and I've got to add this.... my recent M1078 purchase arrived with a well toasted drivers rear break shoe/drum. After disassembly I noticed one of the shoes were flipped 180 degrees so the adjuster end was on the wrong side. Holy Crap! Could of been fatel!

Guyfang

Staff member
Bruce,

What NSN and Model number is on your truck data plate.
What TM, and date, and change number, are you using?

The pictures in the TM do not always reflect what is in your hand.
Do you know what a UOC, (Usable On Code) is and how to find it/read it, and understand it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Try putting the TM numbers into your browser. I have seen some in flebay. There are people who sell such things. I like paper TM's also. But in this day and age, they are simply toooooooooo big. Also know that what ever you get, may be out of date. Or not have the proper changes dded to them. You need to check that. There are also people who will download the TM's and sell them to you. Not all manuals are allowed to be had by John Q. Public. Yes, even truck manuals. Do you know what TM's you need?
Thank you for answering my question. The reason I asked if you know what manuals you need is because if you are looking at only 1100 pages, you probably do not know what all manuals you need. Take care and I wish you luck in your endeavor to repair this vehicle.

KGBruce

TM 9-2320-365-20-3 maintenance TM shows the correct diagram but the parts TM 9-2320-365-24P is different. I can feel some clarification coming on here…

Guyfang

Staff member
NSN 2320013601898. And no, I do not know what the UOC is. I would love to learn more! Thanks for your help!
[FONT=&quot]You did not give me all the info , but its enough.
NSN 2320-01-360-1898[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Look at the cover of your TM 9-2320-365-24P. Look for the NSN 2320-02-360-1898, in the middle of the page, down about half way. Next to it on the left is the model number for your truck.
TRK. CAR., M1078[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Below are the two types of M1078. W/WN, (With Winch) and W/O WN, (With Out Winch) is the first listed, and your NSN is listed to the right. That is your truck. Whenever you are looking for parts, you should know this info, as there are 7 different types of trucks listed in this manual. And the different trucks are very similar, but do have some differences. The way to tell what parts go to what truck is the trick. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Turn to page TM page 7, (PDF reader page 17) and look at[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 5. Special Information. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Under this heading is an explanation for the UOC, Usable On Code.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]USABLE ON CODE. The usable on code appears in the lower left corner of the Description column[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]heading. Usable on codes are shown as "UOC: . . . . . . ." in the description column (left justified) on the first[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]line applicable item description/ nomenclature. Uncoded items are applicable to all models. Identification of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UOC's used in this RPSTL, (Repair Parts Listing).

Under this explanation is listed your truck. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Trk, Car., LMTV M1078[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LWB*W/WN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LAB W/O WN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Next to W/WB is an *. Below you see that the * means your truck has a PTO, (for the winch, something some of the other trucks do not have). Not important, until what parts for it. Now you know that your truck has a UOC of LWB.

I looked at the brake system picture, and even though the parts may look different, the parts listed in that section fit ALL of the vehicles listed in this manual. Sometimes the pictures do not reflect the actual item in your hand, but are supposed the right part. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But this is not always the case. Sometimes when you look at the picture of, say a brake system, there is for instance, one brake shoe in the picture. When you look at the item description, it has the same item listed several times. That’s because the different model trucks have different brake shoes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] The below listing is just an example. I did not look through the whole book to find something special. This is from the rear light bracket mounting hardware. Just as an example. As you can see, Item number 4 is listed twice. On the picture its only there once, but for two different trucks, one kind of nut is used, and on another two different trucks, another kind of nut is used. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4[/FONT][FONT=&quot] PAOZZ 19207 12414308-019 NUT,SELF-LOCKING,EX M10 X 1.5...... 8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UOC:LWB,LAA,LAD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4[/FONT][FONT=&quot] PAOZZ 19207 12414308-025 NUT,SELF-LOCKING,EX................. 4[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UOC:LAA,LAB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now you turn to page 204, (PDF reader page 558) and look for item number 9. Now look at page 204-1, Item number 9. See, its listed two times. Now you tell me what washer is used with your truck. This is an easy one.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The operators manual, -10 and the Lube Order are a good place for PM. There isn’t really any in the repair manual -34, it’s for repairs when something goes wrong.
Do the entire lube order, including open and inspects of hubs and so forth, if you’re not certain these have been done recently. If someone says they “went through it”, he could just mean oil and air filter, meaning coolant, differentials, transmission, fuel filter, hubs and transfer case, as well as all grease zerks are left to do.
Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks