• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spinner II Centrifugal Oil Bypass Filter

JDToumanian

How often the Spinner needs to be cleaned depends on how "dirty" your engine gets... Some engines put more soot into the oil than others, then there's age and driving habits, etc.

I haven't cleaned my Spinner yet, but I'm going to when I change the oil before the West Coast Convoy to Tower Park in April... Maybe the oil doesn't need changing yet, but I'm going to do it anyway. Oil analysis would tell me for sure, and in the future I may start sending out a sample quarterly and changing it only when necessary, rather than the scheduled annual oil change I've been doing.

Other than oil analysis, this is all just trial and error...

Jon

Stalwart

I'd love to try one on the HEMTT but Detroit 2 strokes have notoriously low oil pressure to begin with, I doubt it would work as advertised, especially under 1200 rpm.

JDToumanian

Detroit 2 strokes have notoriously low oil pressure to begin with, I doubt it would work as advertised, especially under 1200 rpm.
Low oil pressure at idle is normal.... 5-7 psi when hot, but at highway speed a healthy 92 series should be at 50 psi (that's the relief valve setting unless it's been modified). My 71 series runs at 60 psi. The Spinner has an "idle cut-out valve" so you won't starve your engine for oil at idle. What kind of pressure do you see at 1200 rpm? What RPM at highway cruising speed? In Spinner's "model selection guide" they recommend model 960 (or 60SE if you find an older one) for the 8V92...... If I got a HEMTT :drool:, adding a Spinner is the first thing I'd do!

Jon

Last edited:

Stalwart

Thanks Jon,

I was aware that low oil pressure is normal, back in the stone age, I drove a truck with an 8V92. If I believe the gage on the dash, which can be wildly inaccurate, it runs 5 -7 psi hot at idle and 40 psi running down the road also hot. Due to this engine's lack of oil consumption and easy starting, I'd imagine it is still in good condition. It uses FAR less oil than any Detroit than I've ever run. My first additions will be a pyrometer and boost gage, that way I'll have some idea how hard the old girl is working.

JDToumanian

I finally cleaned the Spinner II's centrifuge bowl at 3,500 miles since installation on my deuce.... The engine oil had become a dark amber, kinda maple syrup-like. I should have taken a picture but there was only a 1/8" thick layer of sludge on the inside walls. It had the consistency of very firm clay. It was easy to remove because there was a circular paper liner in the centrifuge bowl, I just pulled it out. I thought the paper liners were optional, but seeing how easy it made the cleaning, I wished I had more. I'm going to order some from T.F. Hudgins.

I am still extremely pleased with this upgrade and I recommend it enthusiastically.

Jon

Last edited:

jstier

Thanks to all for the info. I have been selling them for industrail application for 23 years and had no idea that this unit was even out there. The last unit I sold was 25k and I cant stress enough how welll they work.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who do you send it to?
You buy an oil analysis kit at somewhere like NAPA. It comes with instructions, a procedure to be followed to fill the container, and the container. Usually it has a postpaid mailer (part of your purchase cost) and you just drop it off depending on the common carrier. They mail you back a detailed report. I don't know where they go, to one of several labs that specializes in that service. I never looked it up, google might help on that one.

After learning about this spinner, I'll put one on the M818 soon as the $ is available.

Do I really need the larger size? 2GPM vs 1GPM, after all, if the oil goes through, it goes through. Or would I expect twice the crud per mile from the larger Cummins and therefore need the larger unit?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally cleaned the Spinner II's centrifuge bowl at 3,500 miles since installation on my deuce.... The engine oil had become a dark amber, kinda maple syrup-like. I should have taken a picture but there was only a 1/8" thick layer of sludge on the inside walls. It had the consistence of very firm clay. It was easy to remove because there was a circular paper liner in the centrifuge bowl, I just pulled it out. I thought the paper liners were optional, but seeing how easy it made the cleaning, I wished I had more. I'm going to order some from T.F. Hudgens.

I am still extremely pleased with this upgrade and I recommend it enthusiastically.

Jon
Glad you were pleased with the performance of the unit!

We used to clean the bowl every 168 hours, or 1 week @ 24hrs running. The paper liner is a must. One of the engineers did not place a new liner in when he cleaned one unit and had he** cleaning it the next time! Might want to get a liner installed asap.

JDToumanian

Do I really need the larger size? 2GPM vs 1GPM, after all, if the oil goes through, it goes through. Or would I expect twice the crud per mile from the larger Cummins and therefore need the larger unit?
The price difference is negligible between the two units, so there's no reason not to go with the bigger one.... But if I found a good deal on the 1gpm model I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a 5-ton. It will still filter all the engine's oil several times over every hour. Maybe if you drove 100k+ a year like a OTR trucker you would not like the increased service interval but for our purposes, even if the larger displacement of the Cummins meant twice the crud per mile, it still would not matter.

Maybe if you found the smaller 1gpm model you could do a trade with Jesusgatos.... He's gonna put the big one on his deuce.

Jon

JDToumanian

The paper liner is a must. One of the engineers did not place a new liner in when he cleaned one unit and had he** cleaning it the next time! Might want to get a liner installed asap.
I completely agree. I read a bulletin, probably on T.F. Hudgins site, that touted the benefits of the paper liners but said that if you choose not to use them it helps to have a recirculating solvent tank to clean the bowl. ....

Last edited:

JDToumanian

You mean they recommended the bigger one? ....I guess I had assumed you bought a NOS one somewhere at a good price and were gonna go with it even though it's a bit big. I've talked to Spinner tech support several times (agreed - very helpful) including before I put the 36SE on my deuce, and it's the one they recommended at that time. But if they're recommending one size to you and another to me, it just reaffirms my belief that it doesn't make a huge difference either way.

Jon

jesusgatos

No, the recommended the smaller one and then I got the bigger one on accident. But they said that it should be fine. There's a simple formula they use to calculate what size unit to spec, and it has to do with the percentage of oil in the system. Sorry, don't remember the numbers off the top of my head.

PsycoBob

[FONT=Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS]I recently acquired one used on eBay. The hardest part is that no seller uses the same title terms & there's a ton of stuff labeled "Spinner" or "centrifuge". eBay also recently broke their search engine by removing wildcards & making their own guesses as to what you meant.[/FONT]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks