• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split Ring Tire Change

watkinssr

Man...looks like work. I remember breaking down old motorcycle tires that had been on for 40 years. I thought THAT sucked. I found using a sawzall worked wonders on removal. I mean, if you're not going to use the tire you're taking off that is.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Humm rebar handle huh? What size? I might have to try that. I used the bar that the throw out bearing from a deuce attaches to as a hammer handle and love it.

CGarbee

EHHH, I was thinking 3 foot long 1.5 inch thick rebar. Might still try to find some, on a mission now!
If you don't find a piece before the GA Rally, I'll send some down with one of the guys... I toss out about five tons of the stuff each month after we have tested it and the scrap yard will never miss a few pieces... :) We routinely test #3 to #18 bars...

NMC_EXP

If you're going to scrap the tires being dismounted using WD-40 or some other petroleum based fluid to loosen up rusted in place beads is OK. Bear in mind this technique helps because the petro based fluid is softening/dissolving the rubber. Not good if you plan to reuse the tire.

Ditto what CGarbee said re: nomenclature. These are technically called "multi-piece rims" (solid wheel plus an oversize snap ring/lock ring. A true "split rim" is a different animal entirely. The mere mention of having a split rim serviced will get you thrown out of most tire shops.

Be sure to clean all crud and debris out of the new tire before installing the tube.

Before installing the flap put enough air in the tube to take out the wrinkles.

Lube the beads and flap with soapy water before installing on the rim. This is not for ease of install - it is done so the the beads slide out to engage the lock ring an rim flange at low pressure. If the beads hang up and finally pop out at 50 PSI or more you may need a change of underware.

Open end of the valve stem goes on the lock ring side.

A clamp on air chuck is a must even if you have a safety cage.

Without a cage the best alternative for dual wheels is to mount them on the truck, fully bolted up then inflate. That way the lock ring of the outer dual is facing in and the lock ring of the inner dual is facing the outer dual. If a lock ring blows off most of the shrapnel will be contained or a least slowed down.

For the steering axle or other single some folks lace a log chain thru the wheel and around the tire. Better than nothing I suppose but I'd look fo a cage.

Regards

Jim

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I have to ask. Has anyone tried the water based sexual lubricants on the tires to seat them. They are slippery and dry out in a little while.

I ask because it came up at Haspin when Kip and I were talking about getting belts to seat on the compressor pulley of the Deuce.

No Gimp, just to seat the tires and belts. Nothing else.

sw

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I have to ask. Has anyone tried the water based sexual lubricants on the tires to seat them. They are slippery and dry out in a little while.

I ask because it came up at Haspin when Kip and I were talking about getting belts to seat on the compressor pulley of the Deuce.

No Gimp, just to seat the tires and belts. Nothing else.

sw
walmart brand is great for any "rubber" based parts such as radiator hoses, fan belts, those nasty rotten little grommets that cables go through that are so small....you get the idea, but it works great...cheep too![thumbzup]

No project is complete until an open wound has occured and said project has been annointed with icky red stuff.

bgekky3

I got 7 tires on the truck. I still need to fix the hydrolic head. It was time to go, so we took the wife's jeep. I am going to enjoy a few days of my vacation and I should be back having fun working on the truck by the weekend.

bgekky3

I finished the tires last night. I took it for a road test and it rides nice.

I fixed the speedo and it worked going down the driveway. I looked at it while on the road and it was broken again.

I will have to get to the IP head later. I have two days of vacation left and I still have to fix the leak in the basement. I will be digging for the rest of the day.

The comparison pic is of an unaired 9.00 next to the aired 11.00. I also threw one in of 20" Ford split/lock ring wheels. The front of this truck has the 22.5" Ford one piece wheels.

Attachments

bgekky3

This tire was flat when I picked the truck up from GL. After some slime for tube type tires it held air for over two years.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks