• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split Ring Tire Change

bgekky3

For the last week I have been working on changing the 9.00s for 11.00s on one of my trucks. It was slow going at first. I thought I would comment on what I learned so far. I searched for info on how to do it and talked with my father to make it happen.

#1 Get a duckbill/tire hammer. It makes removing the tires so much easier. I tried a high lift under the front bumper with a sledge and a truck and a high lift with a sledge and could not break the bead. If you stand on the tire and hit in between the bead and the rim you can break the bead fairly easily. I also used dish soap, WD40, Gasoline, and silicon to help lube the tire to remove it from the bead. WD40 after a few hours seemed to work the best.

#2 Bribe your friends with beer and brisket. Trust me it helps a lot.

#3 Make sure you are safe when airing up the tires. One of my friend's cousins was killed by a split ring (I know sounds like and internet story but it is true, he would not help me even with the brisket and beer). Make sure you have a clamp on air chuck and are out of the way before you add air. I don't have one yet so I have not aired up the assembled tires yet. Use a cage or chains when you do add air. I will add those pics when I air up the tires.

#4 If you borrow tools such as a chisle, make sure it does not have deformed metal around the edges. If you hit it the metal might break off and go in you eye. When you go to the hospital to get it removed you will be hating life. Also wear safety glasses just in case.

I think part of the MV hobby is keeping the old methods alive. No tire shop around me wanted to touch a split ring. I also take pride in doing my own work. It is easy to throw money at a project and call it yours, but it isn't really yours unless your DNA is on it.

If anyone can add any safety related points to the post feel free. I want to finish the job without hurting myself in the process.

Attachments

bgekky3

Make sure you put the valve stem in the correct orientation. I thought I had it right on the first one and found out on the second that I did it wrong. Oops pedo.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next time, post before you start! Beer and Brisket? I might have made the 7 hour trip, to help for Brisket!aua

armytruck63

"but it isn't really yours unless your DNA is on it."

As in blood, sweat, tears, patches of skin, and drool. Don't forget about the surgery a few months later to fix the hernia you got working on your deuce [thumbzup].

CGarbee

Technically speaking, you have a wheel that has a "lock ring" on it, not one with a "split ring"... I know, it is real nitpicky, but it does make a difference sometimes when you make the call to the truck tire or agg tire place asking for help...

Meanwhile, I find that a standard sledge with a few pieces of angle iron makes for an easy time breaking these wheels down (there are more than one post showing the process with photos...). Nice thing is that you can use three at once to help wedge and hold down the bead on older tires and you can leave one or two in on one side of the gap to hold the tire down when you put your lockring tool on the other side to pop the ring off...

Valve stem goes on opposite side of the tire from the gap in the lockring (or, in order of assembly, the gap goes on the opposite side from the valve stem...).

When you put the wheels back on the truck, orient the valves 180 degrees apart on the rear duals (you can't quite get them exactly 180 apart, but you can come close...).

One of the old threads is at:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/18810-deuce-tire-rim-break-down-9.html

A thread with photos that I took showing the process and tools that I use is located at
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/48389-9-00x20-tire-question-3.html

Good luck, be safe, and if it looks wrong, it likely is... :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always call Gimpy, he is reported to be good at breaking them down.........

;-)

sw

bgekky3

Doghead the second brisket will be ready around 5 PM on Saturday. I still have 7 tires to mount, and two trees to cut down.

I tried the angle iron and sledge hammer, but I could not get it to work. With the duckbill hammer I could get the tires off the wheels in about 15 minutes. I started in one spot and walked around the wheel. On some of the tires I used the chisle to push the bead down to get the ring off.

2old2slow

This brings back horrible memories from my childhood. I changed all the tires on my pop's Mack dump truck with a hammer and tire irons. They were all tubeless one piece rims tho, and were such a pain in th a$$ to mount. We used ether and a match to get the bead to seat on the rims.....ahhhh the good ole days.

Now I'm the safety officer in my guard unit, if they only knew.

It looks like you have the hammer method down, it is labor intensive, but very effective. The only other way to break the beads is to have a shop do it for you.

You can search youtube for split ring tire explosion to see what happens if one lets go, but it sounds like you have that covered already.

Enjoy the brisket.

Green_gator

I am planning the conversion to 11.00 X 20s on my shop van and picked up a surplus tire cage for use. It is large, heavy and on wheels. It is also available for use by any member who wants to borrow it or come over to the shop and use. It fits in the bed of a 105 but requires a forklift to get there as it weighs 1,200 lbs.

Attachments

bgekky3

Update, deuce is not running yet, but getting closer. Here are some more pics. The weekend was spent cutting down trees. Unfortunately the tree in the driveway kept most of my (friends) from stopping by. They missed a good time. Only the real friends were rewarded with beer and brisket.

I found a new use for the universal duece tool aka tricycle. It helps with the flaps.

I got a hand pump from harbor frieght and it helps to remove the water from the tires.

I broke the duck billed hammer on the last tire.

Attachments

bgekky3

As in blood, sweat, tears, patches of skin, and drool. Don't forget about the surgery a few months later to fix the hernia you got working on your deuce [thumbzup].[/quote]

I didn't get a hernia from this project, but my leg feels like ten people are stabbing the tibia and fibula. I have 18 screws and 3 titanium bars that keep my leg from falling off. When the price is right I might scrap it.

bgekky3

It is almost one in the morning. I need to put on the O rings on in the morning before I leave. I will post more about the ride and the Ford wheels from another thread when I get to my dad's shop. The last tire took out the sledge. So much for my 15 minute breakdown. The broken sledge tire took about an hour to remove.

I am going to have to get a new handle for the duck bill before I return it to my dad tomorrow.

I also broke the handle of a regular sledge that was donated to me from our neighbors to the south. I must say the other one they donated to me with a rebar handle is still in service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks