• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring brake chamber

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question....my 3rd axle's spring brake chamber has a bad diaphragm, I ordered a take off and what showed up was a spring brake chamber for axle no.2
the diff is there are only 2 air fittings on the #2 spring brake and the placement of the cage tool will be different then the one it is replacing.....the 3rd air fitting on the correct spring brake is capped off so that why I think I can use this chamber....can anyone chime in?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You done take it apart....you cage it with the provided tool, remove the outer band and the entire chamber comes off, the spring you refer to is on the caged side in the large chamber....NEVER take that apart. I talked with big rig shop and the guy said that even if caged, he has seen broken springs internally, undo the band and you smoked....so he only replaces the entire unit like I did.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I can fix a lot of things myself but I think if I ever need brake chamber work I will just pay a service shop to do it. The last thing I need is to get sprung with a spring. Are the diaphragms a standard part that most shops stock?
Will

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the outer is a type12 or T12 from NAPA....I'm not gonna bother trying to work on my old chamber, that is unless at some point in the future I find a shop or someone on this forum will do it and has the correct safety tools to do it.
you can buy the entire assy from eastern or Saturn surplus form about 200.00....I found a forum member who had take offs.

quickfarms

I have not been in a napa in about 10 years.

For truck air brake parts I have two local parts houses that I use. I have not touched wedge brakes in over 20 years. The air cans i have dealt with are pretty standard by size, rod, stroke and tip. For parts I would take the air can to a heavy duty truck parts house such as Betts truck parts, Fleetpride or what ever you have locally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks