• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squibbly's M1009 and other Questionable Projects

ssdvc

I am due for a new set of tires at the end of the year (funds permitting). I have run 32's in the past and I think they are a good fit for the truck. I liked the look and the MPG did increase slightly. I do have a set of those cheaper black steel wheels in 16", but I am not sure I want to put them on my truck, even though there are more tire choices in 16" (15" has a limited choice of tires).

That said, I think sticking with 15" with a 32X11.50 BFG AT is a good choice.

Squibbly

Oops. 5MPH sideways slide down hill and into an Oak tree during our last snow.
All I felt was a bump, drove my truck back onto the road and kept going to Lowes.

This is what I saw when I got out. Lol.

Jeep.jpg

This is what the tree looked like. The bark was a little discolored, but it didn't even take off the bark.

1643258644011.png

Unlike winters in the north where plow trucks and slag trucks take care of the roads, in the south, people just drive on top of it until it turns into a sheet of ice, How embarrassing to be from the north and slide off the road in 1 inch of snow. 😑

Went to the salvage yard, and got two doors ($140), and ordered a new rocker ($45).

This Liberty is a diesel, so I'm not getting rid of it. It's about to get blue doors on one side and be a Franken Jeep. 😂

I pull them off in the spring and paint them.

Last edited:

Squibbly

I went to a collision repair shop to see what the going rate was (I always like to calculate if it's worth my time to do it myself).
They quoted me...wait for it... 8-9 THOUSAND dollars. ROFL.
The guy said "That rocker is spot welded...that's money..", and he said this to me with a straight face.

I'm in the wrong business. People actually just say "Ok" to this stuff.

Oh, and he told me I couldn't supply my own doors, because they mark that up 25% or they won't make any money. Ha Ha Ha.

Last edited:

SomeNewGuy

I went to a collision repair shop to see what the going rate was (I always like to calculate if it's worth my time to do it myself).
They quoted me...wait for it... 8-9 THOUSAND dollars. ROFL.
The guy said "That rocker is spot welded...that's money..", and he said this to me with a straight face.

I'm in the wrong business. People actually just say "Ok" to this stuff.

Oh, and he told me I couldn't supply my own doors, because they mark that up 25% or they won't make any money. Ha Ha Ha.
Honestly those are inflated prices because insurance companies will pay it typically.
When something gets mandated it becimes more expensive, along with everything its involved it, and the quality goes down.

I digress...

I had a Hyundai Tiburon a while back with bad window regulators, I remember it was cheaper to get 2 doors at $10 a pop from pick an pull than to buy the parts. So what if its red doors o a black car... kinda ended up liking it after a few weeks of getting used to it lol

Squibbly

I realized today, I’ve been a computer nerd for a really long time.

Usually when a package comes in the mail, I tell my wife “I need it for the truck”.

When this showed up and I opened it, I tried the same line only to realize she actually pays attention.

She wasn’t buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realized today, I’ve been a computer nerd for a really long time.

Usually when a package comes in the mail, I tell my wife “I need it for the truck”.

When this showed up and I opened it, I tried the same line only to realize she actually pays attention.

She wasn’t buying it.

Wow, a Commodore 64! I miss those old games. I sold my Atari 2600 in 1989 for $75. 😳 who knew?

Squibbly

Just fixed this thing that’s been sitting in my attic for forever. The first “portable” computer ever made. The Osborne 1. 1982. Looks very military.

This might look nice mounted in the rear of the 09.
I can play some Thermonuclear War Simulator...or Zork.

Last edited:

ssdvc

Just fixed this thing that’s been sitting in my attic for forever. The first “portable” computer ever made. The Osborne 1. 1982. Looks very military.

Ah, the early days of floppy drives and DOS. I think we used one of those back in the day, to keep track of some things that went boom.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ah, the early days of floppy drives and DOS. I think we used one of those back in the day, to keep track of some things that went boom.
Those portables were really useful.

In later life, when the 286 motherboard had rolled over and died I did upgrades to several. I remember when the 486 and following that the Pentium (woooo!) boards and IDE hard drives made them into little screamers - that were "luggable lunchboxes" that were really lighter than when they were new!

Squibbly

These use an OS called CP/M. DOS wasn’t around yet, or was so new it wasn’t main stream yet.

Most things were written in assembly language, but you could use MBasic to write programs in basic.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh the stories of my father...

"You dont know programming unless you've written one with punch cards"
Yes! And working for a company with a blue logo and three letters in the name - it was incredibly cool to have the printer room deliver a skid of punch cards to your office. That same amount of information would be stored today on a small USB drive. I also remember when we got dot matrix printouts on green-bar paper. Delivered from the s390 printers on skids :cool:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I almost bought an Osborn, waited about a year and got a Compaq with two full height floppies, replaced them with two half height ones and put in a hard disk from Qubie Distributors that cost me $1000 then. It held a whopping 10 megabytes. I have 256 Gigabyte USB drives now and a two terabyte external solid state drive.

Squibbly

Wow. Hillbilly surprise from my wife today.

I have been busy with work and not doing much on the truck, besides weld in the new rocker and give it some temp paint to keep it from rusting.

Just need to put some new tires on and she’s pretty much road ready. The rest is door and window seals and minor cosmetics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks