• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Srarting fluid issue?

warwagons62

Mechanic woked on my M1009 but didn't have a clue. He used starting fluid on a cold start and now it's broke.
I was in the Blazer when the mechanic picked it up, she fired right up. I needed a broken startet bolt extracted and replaced. He started her up and went 0 to 50 without a warm up. Could this be the problem? I drove her 200 miles the day before he took her with no problems. I wont let him touch it again, he also rewired it for 12v because I had 24v going to the starter.
I drove it about 1.5 miles and the power dropped off to a crawl at full throttle. It stalled when I let off the accelerater. It started fine but idle was up and down as if the fuel was increasing and decreasing until it stalled again. Now she won't start at all. I am baffled what might have happened.
Anybody have any ideas?aua

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter should have 24v if its stock, if it is its spinning to slow with 12v. Have you changed the fuel filter? Did the engine go boom when the glow plugs engaged with the ether in the engine?

Goose2448

First off, Welcome to SS.

Second, go kick that guy in the balls.

Next, find someone (yourself included) that knows or can learn about the truck, and have them fix it. Always ask, never assume because you know what that gets.

Lastly, someone here can help you better than I can with electrical.

warwagons62

Yea, it's all stock and equipped with 24v equipment including radios. I am very familiar with my ugly M1009. I had a detailed conversation with the mechanic as I watched him replaxe everything, I used to be very good with all this. Unfortunately I'm broken too. I was not there when he sprayed it but it started several times after.
I have replaced the filter not too long ago but that don't mean anything. I'll get another one and try that.

warwagons62

I thought it might be sucking air so I opened the bleed valve while it was idling good, I had a steady flow off fuel. That's why I skipped the filter but I am definitely going to go back to it. I think I'll get a new one and install it is a clean room like environment.

wayne pick

Re starting fluid

No 1, Don't ever use ether, You probably know that already. The engine stopped cranking due to ether lock. Use liquid wrench silicone, Works great. No damage. No 2, Why convert to 12v? The starting sys on these trucks is really not that complicated, just looks that way. The first time I opened the hood of my truck, It was like holy crap! No 3, Don't let knuckleheads who do not know these trucks work on them. Search-" previous owners hack jobs". Now it is worse off than it was before you had this guy "work"on it. Beleve me im not busting your chops, It's just agrivating to hear stuff like this. Search or ask a question here first. all that could have been avoided. As far as the fuel proplem issue, It sounds like a collapsed fuel line. Idles fine. Put the fuel to it and it starves. Put a electric fuel pump on it as close to the tank as you can. That way it pushes fuel through instead of sucking the line closed. Eliminate the mechanical pump, If the diaphram goes on it fuel will pump into the crankcase, Not good. It also makes purging the fuel filter easyer. Quicker cold starts too. I'd 86 the stanadyne setup for a spin on. The previous owner of my truck did it and I know it will be problem free. Good luck and have a great holliday.

67_C-30

I would check the fuel line before I did anything. It stands to reason if the only thing he worked on was the starter bolt, that he may have damaged the fuel line under the truck. The slightest pin hole in the fuel line will do exactly what you are describing. A pinhole behind the fuel pump can cause the rubber fuel line to collaspe/suck flat.

warwagons62

I will check the lines and see if I can find anything. All the responses sound great. I definitely have a direction to go.
thanks everybody and have a great holiday!
Jim

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And BTW, We DO have a TM section here again...if that will help you out. Good luck, keep us posted.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to check the fuel return line also, if it is pinched you will have those symptoms. Ether will break a crank in half in a hurry! That is on ANY 6.2/6.5, not just the military ones.

Rick

Rustygears

Check for loose hose clamps on the fuel pump or a cracked hose. If someone was underneath on the passenger side, this is a likely source of problems. It sure sounds like fuel starvation/loss of prime. Those 6.2L Chevy diesels are notorious for fuel and electrical issues.

warwagons62

Mistaken1, yes, I called him to see how things were going. A starter bolt broke and he was to extract it. He said, "By the way, did you know you were shooting 24 volts into the starter? I rewired it for you so it the correct 12 volts now". As you might guess, I blew up! I told him not to touch anything when he offered to wire it back. I went directly over there to see what he did. I had my TM in hand and supervised the repair. I saw the can of starter spray in the cup holder and asked about it. Well, with the 12 volt rewire the starter was turning slow so Einstein used the spray. As wonders have it, with the brand new 24 volt wiring she fired right up. I drove her home and she sat for a while. When I got to her she acted up.
Rusty gears, Thanks I'll add that to my list. I think I might replace most of the fuel system.

By the way, the starter bolt was removed and a new one put in...