• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start cycles

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started the xm757 for the 97th time this morning on the NiCd start battery, 256 times total since getting the truck home.

Who else keeps tab on this kind of thing?
2013 0630 xm757 meadows of dan trip.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt anyone here would/nor-need to track such a number. 99.9% of people here use standard 6TL or group 31 lead acid batteries. Starting cycles isn't a concern for them, nor is thermal overload, stored charge loss, or the upkeep of your NiCad setup.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow...
I for one am interested. Remembered when you switched to ni cad. I have some gel ones.
Do I keep track of cycles, no, but more info is good.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that obscure info often will lead to new "discoveries" and/or interesting discussions.

With over one hundred start cycles now on the Nicads and zero problems after two years, I'm very happy with them and virtually no maintenance. All connections are torqued and nice and tight.
2011 0815 starting battery with 19ea bb600 cells, 500 amp shunt.jpg

The battery compartment is force vented and I do monitor temperature and have a "Batt/Gen" switch installed to turn off the alternator if need be, so perhaps not for everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks