• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Advice

cjkeeliii

I have just put a second passenger side alternator on my M1008. Even though the starter was not the initial problem, it is now. The GEN 2 light was on when I turned the key, but now it's out, and the starter won't turn. Also getting sparks and smoke from back battery's negative post. Any ideas? My original passenger alternator locked up and I had it rebuilt along with the driver's side alternator. Is the problem possibly in the driver's alt? Same guy rebuilt both at same time.

Westech

CPL
you got some wires mixed up there guy..... time to re look at what you did and make sure all the wires are correct. Also you do know that the passenger alternator HAS TO HAVE A ISOLATED GROUND. you cant use the auto parts alternator.

cjkeeliii

I got the new(er) alternator from Parramore Surplus in Mt. Pleasant, FLA. so I'm sure its a CUCV alternator. As for the wiring: I checked another M1008 and hooked the wires up just like that one. If you're familiar with Russell Deese out of Cairo, GA., he deals in MV's. His suggestion was that I burned out the starter solenoid when I tried to crank the truck without the passenger alternator hooked up.

Ken_86gt

? You do not need the alternators hooked up to start the vehicle. But of course no one would leave it like this for any length of time. It sounds like a wiring problem or a bad rebuild to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks