• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter bolt backed out and fried the starter

Gamble

The STE-ICE connector is under the large round cover to the left of the shifter.

With the ignition switch off, by momentarily shorting pins (S) and (T) together it will spin up the starter if it's good but the truck won't start. This completely bypasses the control box so if the starter spins your problem is somewhere between the iginition switch and the starter solenoid.

View attachment 835140
Ok, so this step won't start the vehicle but will aid in troubleshooting. Got it.

Gamble

It won't start the motor if the start switch is OFF.
So... You're saying once turned ON it will start the truck? So, to be clear:

1. Take off cap
2. Insert wire into pins while run switch is in the OFF position
3. Then, while wire is in both pins, start the truck or dont start the truck?

Attachments

Last edited:

papakb

If everything is functioning properly when you insert the jumper into S & T you only want to leave it there for about the same amount of time you'd try to start the truck with the ignition switch. A few seconds. If the starter is functional it's going to spin up as soon as contact is made between the pins. With the ignition switch in the OFF position the #54 wire to the fuel solenoid isn't powered so no fuel will get to the engine and the truck will not start. If the ignition switch is in the RUN position it's going to start just as if you had hit the start position on the ignition switch. This can also be used as an emergency start to get the truck running if you know the control box has failed. A handy trick to know.

Gamble

You're a Genius, it kicked right over! Attached is the STE/ICE Port diagram for anyone who may need it, the diagram is reversed on my truck. Ok, so I guess this means that the start box is likely fried or wires on the front side of the connection to the starter are fried.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gamble

Ok, I changed out my smart start box for a new one and still nothing. My remaining options as I understand them are:

1. Start switch itself
2. Engine Harness (positive power wire to the starter solenoid)

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clearly you haven’t broken out the multi meter and schematic...sans throwing a bunch of money at it, electrical issues require some troubleshooting after what happened .
Dont forget to check the circuit breakers behind the instrument cluster.

papakb

Steve is right here. It's time for some good old fashioned troubleshooting.

Did you disconnect the batteries when you replaced the control box? If you didn't you may have cooked another one.

If you've already replaced the control box here's what you need to look at:

Do you have 24 volts going into the ignition switch on wire #11A?

Do you have 24 volts coming out of the ignition switch when you go to "RUN" on wire #29A to circuit breaker CB2 and pin "B" of the engine connector?

If your gauges move when you go to "RUN" then the circuit breaker is good.

Do you have 24 volts coming out of the ignition switch when you go to "START" on wire #14A to the neutral start switch?

Do you have 24 volts from the neutral start switch on wite #14B back to pin "A" on the engine connector of the control box?

Gamble

"
Do you have 24 volts going into the ignition switch on wire #11A?

Do you have 24 volts coming out of the ignition switch when you go to "RUN" on wire #29A to circuit breaker CB2 and pin "B" of the engine connector?

Do you have 24 volts coming out of the ignition switch when you go to "START" on wire #14A to the neutral start switch?"
----
Yes, I have 24 v going Into the ignition switch on wire 11A.

Yes, I have 24 v coming out of 29A and My guages Move when I go to Run.

I do not start the truck in neutral. I have the 4l80e 4 speed. I start in park. I do not know if I have a neutral start switch.

No, I have Nothing coming out of the ignition switch when I go to "START" on wire #14A to the neutral start switch.

Last edited:

DREDnot

I do not start the truck in neutral. I have the 4l80e 4 speed. I start in park. I do not know if I have a neutral start switch.

No, I have Nothing coming out of the ignition switch when I go to "START" on wire #14A to the neutral start switch.
Just an FYI...All automatic transmission vehicles have a "neutral start" switch. The difference between the three and four speed shifters is that there is a second "pad" that closes the neutral start switch in the Park position just like it does in the neutral position.

DSCN3594.JPGDSCN3594.JPG

papakb

If you have nothing coming out of the ignition switch on #14 it looks like it's time for a new switch. That's the signal that goes to the neutral start switch and from there to the control box. Without it it's the same as having the transmission in gear. Your not going to have the necessary signal up to the control box and them onward to the starter solenoid.

If you choose to go with a keyswitch replacement make sure you buy one made in America by reputable companies like Grote or Cole-Hersee and not a piece of cheal Chinese junk that's going to fail in short order.

Gamble

I have replaced the ignition start switch and now have voltage coming out of 14A when I place the switch in the run position but still no start. Now to examine and/or replace the neutral start switch. Hopefully that's the issue.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have replaced the ignition start switch and now have voltage coming out of 14A when I place the switch in the run position but still no start. Now to examine and/or replace the neutral start switch. Hopefully that's the issue.
you can bypass the NSS, just run run a jumper between the two leads after unplugging them from the NSS.

Gamble

IMG_20210529_172746.jpg
Welp, safe to say I have found the root of the problem. This wasn't readily visible until I walked it all the way back. Nor was the extent of the damage to the NSS. Here's the 14A connector to the NSS. Burned through completely.
IMG_20210529_173604.jpg
Wire 40 and another which I cannot ascertain it's number are also burned pretty bad. Thankfully the burned connectors are on the NSS side.

RW, which wires should I jump? 14A and which one, 40 or the unlabeled?

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NSS is just a pass through, so the wire numbers are the same, 2 of them…or marked A and B but makes no difference which side they plug into the NSS. To bypass it, you plug the 2 into each other with a jumper of some sort, they are both the same gender so they can’t actually connect like a male and female connection.
Down in that area is power to back lighting on tnr shifter, NSS and 2 wires to the ebrake switch.

Gamble

Yes, I see two wires labeled 14. So there are two 14 wires and one 40 wire. So the two 14 wires need to be connected. Got it. I also need to see what 40 runs to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks