• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter fluid - replacement bottle

DCottle

Anyone know where I can locate a replacement for the bottle of starter fluid for the M35A3 that you inject for cold starts. I do not remember the NSN, but I am sure you guys know what I am talking about.

Anyone sell those things. Google search left me wanting :(

DCottle

I looked for the NSN online real quick....didn't find it; and it is way to dark and cold right now to go grab it. It is just the "Quick Start" cylinder that squirts ether into the stream when you hold and release the cold start switch.

I was under the impression that NAPA, while carrying starter fluid, would not contain the ether mix used by the actual NSN item. I would prefer to go with the real McCoy if possible...

EDIT: I might have found the NSN...possibly 2910006469727

Last edited:

mikey

I looked for the NSN online real quick....didn't find it; and it is way to dark and cold right now to go grab it. It is just the "Quick Start" cylinder that squirts ether into the stream when you hold and release the cold start switch.

I was under the impression that NAPA, while carrying starter fluid, would not contain the ether mix used by the actual NSN item. I would prefer to go with the real McCoy if possible...

EDIT: I might have found the NSN...possibly 2910006469727
according to TM 9-2320-386-24P, i think you are correct...

32 PAOZZ 2910006469727 6Y402 8200327 CYLINDER,ENGINE STA................. 1

the cage code is 6y402 and comes back to:

PHILLIPS TEMRO INC
DIV OF BUDD CO INC 9400 W 74TH ST
EDEN PRAIRIE, MN 55344
800-328-6108

i guess with the cage code i can call napa...

i don't care if its the original or a suitable replacement, so if anyone has a part#, please feel free to share... thx

mikey

I was at Napa recently and on the counter they had a single cylinder of starting fluid. I have NO idea if its the correct one for your application, however they had it marked 5 dollars. I asked about it and the salesman said it was the last one and they were just trying to get rid of it. It listed for over 30.00 so I went ahead and took it. It is from Budd company and its called zero start . Again I dont know if it is the correct one! It says this cylinder only fits 7/8 jetco valves so I dont know. Anyway this cylinders Napa Part number is: 605-3253 and the upc code is 6075490255. If anyone knows if this is the correct size please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

mikey

I was at Napa recently and on the counter they had a single cylinder of starting fluid. I have NO idea if its the correct one for your application, however they had it marked 5 dollars. I asked about it and the salesman said it was the last one and they were just trying to get rid of it. It listed for over 30.00 so I went ahead and took it. It is from Budd company and its called zero start . Again I dont know if it is the correct one! It says this cylinder only fits 7/8 jetco valves so I dont know. Anyway this cylinders Napa Part number is: 605-3253 and the upc code is 6075490255. If anyone knows if this is the correct size please let me know. Thanks!
using that part#, which ironically does not show up on napa's website, and google, i wound up back at ss.com to a thread from 3yrs ago...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...r-canister-attn-south-eastern-mi-members.html

could be that napa has discontinued the part...

according to that thread, at least ida34's deuce takes a 1" cannister and not the 7/8"...

Last edited:
Its a good possibilty that it was a discontinued item from Napa. I asked them about other sized valves and they just said that it was the only cylinder they had, and that they had no others. They were just trying to move it.

bill2444

our local carquest can get it. Although i don't have a part number. All of the county plow trucks use it so they stock it on the shelf. As an interesting side note last week my bottle ran out trying to start the m35 in 0 weather. I looked around the barn and found that a cylinder of map gas and propane has the same size thread as the either. Since the map burns hotter than propane i thought i'd give it a shot, and it worked pretty well. Couldn't tell much difference between it or the either for starting. I did get a new clyinder of either but in a pinch the map will work.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NAPA has them, but are cheaper from truck repair shops probably. Mine was a "zerostart" brand....1"-20 thread. Zerostart part #8200327, and the little cork gasket that goes down inside the valve body, if you need a new one is zerostart part #8203903

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most heavy equipment dealers in northern states will have some brand bottle that fits as well as heavy truck supply and/or service centers

shenkmen

any idea if that matches to part
WP 0059 00 (vehicles built after serial No. 504924)

or

WP 0055 00 (vehicles built beforeserial No. 504924)
Don't know. My understanding is that these are a standard size, thread, etc... and cross compatibility should be expected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks