• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Problems

tgarrisoniv

so as you can tell, my deuce is PURELY a mud truck... got the truck about 6 months ago and have had really no running issues with it...until now. The starter began to hang up on me when i first got it so i flipped the disk in the solenoid and it was fine. well, now the starter will not start. at all. i took the starter out and tested it ( with jumper cables) the starter will not spin. it will come out but not spin. is it shot? Also not sure that it matters but could be the source of my destruction, the batteries in it are two interstates; a 75 and a 65 series (two different batteries so two different amp draws going to the starter. so also did this cause the kill of my starter if it is dead?? cheaper to repleace than rebuilt? if so, where?? cheapest i found is 170 on ebay!! i am in jacksonville, fl. thanks for any help!!!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah batteries are fine, its probably mud in the way of the brushes. Take it apart and clean the contacts. I have had this happen on many trucks. Welcome to the site. We want more pics of your truck!

gimpyrobb

I can't reach those photobucket sites from work, drat! In my experience, it has been mud and grime in the starter motor, not the solenoid.

digitaldust

Ok, but did you check the connections on the batteries for , making sure there tight , when you load a lot of amps a loose connection may open , you still may read 25 vdc on the cable just cant get all the amps to the starter you need

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would also say that mud inside the starter is the issue.

From the factory the starters where sealed but sometimes during a rebuild the seals where not replaced and leaking occured.

tgarrisoniv

well the starter really has never gone under completely. it has gotten pretty covered though. i usually pressure wash the truck every sunday after takin it out but if the seals are bad then def could have some gunk in there. When i took it off it looked pretty clean in there but then again i have not taken it apart yet. i will snap a few pics this evening.

tgarrisoniv

ok i will also check my connections but how could i test the amp draw digitaldust? or just make sure all connections are tight and clean and should be good to go? i dont think it is a bad connection because the starter will come out, it just wont spin!

gimpyrobb

You have to take it out of the truck to clean it anyway. When you get it out, test it on the bench. If it works, you now have a direction to look at.

tgarrisoniv

thats every weekend lol. i have new seals and bearings in them. also have outers packed with grease and zerk fittings on them so i can pack them every weekend. has worked great so far. got stuck a few weeks ago and had to leave it in some nasty clay/water/mud/crap overnight so i just knew they would be full of crap then. after inspection, not a drop of crap in them. i think the grease packing works wonders on them. as for a waterproof starter, do you think it is worthless to try and take the starter apart myself that it's probably done for? and where would i find a fording plug?? i have seen the hole before and thought it have been worried about it!

Loco_Hosa

Thats a SICK truck, I would love pictures of where you put these grease fittings, thats a fancy idea!

I would also be interested in seeing a video of your truck in the deep mud.

Also like the shortened stock bed, as aposed to the trailer bed.

Most importantly, welcome to the site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks