• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Four HMMWV engines in the can

hotdogs151a2

I too know of units swapping out a good 6.2 for a new 6.5 along and along. I would think that is would not be hard to tag an engine bad to end up with a new 6.5 in place of an old 6.2.
Good Luck, Thanks, Hotdog

mudguppy

There has been a rebuild program underway for some time now. ... The rebuilt trucks are designated M1097R1's. ...
thanks, Chief - that may be the case.

Ft. Stewart didn't have any HMMWV rebuild programs when i left in '06. of course, even then, not too many HMMWVs still had the 6.2s in them at that point since most had already gone through an engine and received a 6.5.

but the 1097 program makes sense.

41cl8m5

They move everything with fork truck at Ft. Carson. The staff is normaly willing to load onto your truck. The only thing is getting though the gate on post. Have a copy of your invoice to show and some times they bring out the mirrors (to see under) and mite ask you to step away from the vehical while they go though it. I think it depends if it "that time of the month" with the security. I have been delayed as long as 30 minutes waiting to get up to the gate. Other times you will get right though with only stoping for 2 minutes. So I suggest alowing 20 minuntes from the time you get in line at the gate to making it to GL. If you schedule for the end of day they like to get done early (who wouldn't) some times they will have 2 appontments at the same time, so you mite have to wait for the other party to show.
Good luck

Chief_919

I too know of units swapping out a good 6.2 for a new 6.5 along and along. I would think that is would not be hard to tag an engine bad to end up with a new 6.5 in place of an old 6.2.
Good Luck, Thanks, Hotdog
The odds are also good it could be a minor issue.

It could be something as easy to fix as a blown head gasket, and the unit make the choice to use it as an excuse to swap in a 6.5.

Chief_919

thanks, Chief - that may be the case.

Ft. Stewart didn't have any HMMWV rebuild programs when i left in '06. of course, even then, not too many HMMWVs still had the 6.2s in them at that point since most had already gone through an engine and received a 6.5.

but the 1097 program makes sense.
Any from Stewart would have gone to Letterkenny. When unit is earmarked to get rebuilds, the new ones are delivered, placed in service, then the old ones ship to the rebuild site.

top_prop

My 1987 Suburban just had one of these 'humvee can' motors swapped in that was purchased from someone who bought a bunch of of GL... The truck hasn't run this good in years... so they get a big thumbs up from me...

the only bad side is that the cooling system continually is shedding fine red dust (corrosion from being in the can?)... on my second flush and refill and I still get some fine red sediment in the overflow reservoir...

Oh and the other bad thing is a the support bracket for the long civie alternator bolt didn't have the same location to be bolted on to the block... though all the rest of the brackets fit just fine... I still need to pull the alternator, cut the tab off and re-weld it for the humvee block... the threaded hole is there in the block and even takes the same thread but its in just slightly different position.

ETA: sounds like a sweet purchase! keep us posted!

mudguppy

... It could be something as easy to fix as a blown head gasket, and the unit make the choice to use it as an excuse to swap in a 6.5.
chief, i know some of that goes on, but that chit wouldn't fly in my shop. it isn't the unit's decision on what or how it gets fixed. besides, the wait time for engines was bad (during my time), so i don't know what 3rd shop in their right mind would rather carry that WO on their backlog for 30+ days when they can have the gasket replaced in 2 hours. i don't know of a BMO that would support the owning unit in that fight, either. i did store engines in my shop stock (had them rebuilt locally) because of the wait time, but saved them for jobs that truly needed engines.

of course, i always got a lot of flack for running my shop 'right'...

back to the purchase, maybe these where changed out for the heluvit. good deal for you, if that's the case!

kenz5380

Just last week my USMC unit ordered a new engine for a HMMWV that had a bad IP. The excuse the MT guys made was that the engine had an oil leak and some blow by, but I didn't see either a leak or anyone do any real diagnostics on the engine. I'm not complaining as I have to use the truck, but I don't believe there was any good reason to swap out the motor when all it needed was an IP. In my experience this kind of thing happens all the time. When you can replace everything with little to no headache then why not?

Chief_919

chief, i know some of that goes on, but that chit wouldn't fly in my shop. it isn't the unit's decision on what or how it gets fixed. besides, the wait time for engines was bad (during my time), so i don't know what 3rd shop in their right mind would rather carry that WO on their backlog for 30+ days when they can have the gasket replaced in 2 hours. i don't know of a BMO that would support the owning unit in that fight, either. i did store engines in my shop stock (had them rebuilt locally) because of the wait time, but saved them for jobs that truly needed engines.

of course, i always got a lot of flack for running my shop 'right'...

back to the purchase, maybe these where changed out for the heluvit. good deal for you, if that's the case!
Downrange I always had engines in stock, so I swapped engines, then had them tear into the engine on the stand and if it was repairable fix it and put it back into shop stock. That actually saved us time, because we knew we were swapping in a good one vs tearing into one and finding out it was a cracked block instead of a head gasket.

Engines seem to come in pretty fast these days, so doing an engine swap like that won't cause much of a backlog. And if you have the engine on hand, it usually means you can get the equipment off your 026 faster. And since 6.2's are no longer rebuilt any 6.2 pulled goes right to DRMO. Of course that hinges on the SSA being able to supply you with engines...

That said, there is no more "3rd shop" in the Army. Under the new 2-level system you have Field Maintence and Sustainment Maintenance- no more ORG, DS, GS + Depot. ORG+DS are combined to be Field Maintenance, while GS and Depot are combined to be Sustainment (mostly- some exceptions on some tasks).

The new doctrine is "Fix foward-repair rear" and is based upon getting equipment back into the fight faster. Complete assemblies are replaced at Field level, either in the units organic maintenance or a supporting shop, and sent to be repaired at sustainment shops. So now company level maintenance is authorized to pull and swap engines, transmissions, transfer cases, but not authorized in most cases to crack them open and actually repair them. Same for hydraulic cylinders, etc.

They have taken it so far that now there are even NSN's for comeplete mounted tire and wheel assemblies, and when you change one out you evacuate the whole bad tire and wheel to a tire shop. That speeds the return of the equipment to service at the field level and shifts the more time consuming repair to "off-platform" maintenance in the rear.

Last edited:

readyman

My military rebuilt(and installed) 6.2 in my HMMWV lasted about 4500 miles with a cracked-in-half crankshaft. I'm thinking the harmonic balancer dried out, or the main bearings in the rebuild.
4500 miles in 12 years...

Chief_919

My military rebuilt(and installed) 6.2 in my HMMWV lasted about 4500 miles with a cracked-in-half crankshaft. I'm thinking the harmonic balancer dried out, or the main bearings in the rebuild.
4500 miles in 12 years...
Old harmonic balancers have caused more dead 6.2's and 6.5's than any other cause. A snapped crank is a classic result of a bad harmonic balancer.

superburban

Well, the GL guy at FT Carson only operates Tues-Thurs, so I wont be able to do it this Friday. I set up the apointment for Thursday morning at 0800. I'm going to have to take off from Salt Lake City on Wednday evening after work, drive all night, load up in the morning, then crash for a few hours and come home Thursday night. That's the plan, anyway.

On another topic, I have a UT Concealed Carry Permit, which CO honors. BUT, I know that military installations dont allow you to bring your guns on. Do you just have to leave them home for the whole trip, or do they have a place at the gate like in the old western movies where you "check your guns"? I used to visit Malmstrom AFB often when I was a youngster, but that was before I got in the habit of carrying.

I can alway just leave my gun home, but it's become my security blanket after carrying it for so long.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your better off leaving it at home, or somewhere outside the gate. Also, if you do carry it with you, I wouldnt NOT tell them and have them find out... It would not be good for you.

Last edited:

SGT LongT

Definitely call the Provost Marshals office (MP Desk 719-526-2333/2335), but as an MP this is my 2cents. I would suggest bringing a small pistol case along and before going through the gate you clear and unload the weapon, and store the ammo separately. Since you are only visiting the post for a short time (hopefully but this is GL we are talking about) you won't have to register the weapon. :beer:

superburban

Definitely call the Provost Marshals office (MP Desk 719-526-2333/2335), but as an MP this is my 2cents. I would suggest bringing a small pistol case along and before going through the gate you clear and unload the weapon, and store the ammo separately. Since you are only visiting the post for a short time (hopefully but this is GL we are talking about) you won't have to register the weapon. :beer:
Cool! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely give it a shot. It's not a big deal, though to just leave the iron home.

superburban

The provost office told me "Leave it at home. There's no way you can bring it on post." So that's what I'm going to do.

top_prop

I'm a commissioned officer with 15 years of service... my request to have a gun locked in a gun case (specified to be used by our shooting team to transport weapons on and off base) in my truck was denied...

It used to be officers were issued weapons and expected to be proficient with them. Now weapons are regarded as a liability! :(

kenz5380

I'm really interested to know how those motors do when you get one or more of them in a vehicle. Don't forget to keep us posted.

superburban

Just got back from the recovery. I left Wednsday night at 1700 and got back today (Friday) at 1400. It ended up being about 1300 miles round trip. I used up 90 gallons of veggie oil and about 15 gallons of diesel/biodiesel in my F350.

Jerod at GL in Ft Carson was great to deal with.

I ended up getting 3 6.2s and one 6.5 (a 2001 model). They all turn freely and I can feel the compression while turning them by hand. I have to pull the starter off of my Blazer before I can actually attempt to start them up. The Blazer happens to be stored at my friends place, so it might be a while before I get over there to swipe it.

I only got one picture of the whole trip, at a bathroom break just west of Denver:

Attachments