• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting Four HMMWV engines in the can

superburban

I'm really interested to know how those motors do when you get one or more of them in a vehicle. Don't forget to keep us posted.
You'd have a lot easier time picking one up from Ft Carson than I did!

Two days off work might not be worth it in the end:-(. I should know soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to field mod the rear cradle of the can for starter clearance. Other than that should be easy pickens. I have one of the surplus HMMWV slave assys in my slave cable box. I attach that to the starters when I ground hop motors. Here soon I will post pics of the other "cooler than heck" use for the HMMWV slave assy's that were surplussed recently.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an upright thatthe starter will hit. You can bridge around it with steel and then chop it out of the way.

superburban

I just bought a used 12v 6.5 gear reduction starter locally for $30. I'm going to bring the welder home from work on monday to make the mods on the engine cases and then I'm going to test them out.

superburban

I modded one of the can's rear crossmembers to accept a starter. I used 2 peices of angle iron welded on either side of the original "upright". Then I gouged out a hole with the plasma torch.

I couldn't find any pictures or video example of anyone having done this, so I'll post some pics tonight after I get home from work.

superburban

SUCCESS!! I fired up the 6.5 today! So I know that my trip was not all in vain!

I think I figured out why it was pulled. Someone had crossthreaded the #1 injector line, so it was missing on that cylinder. I just happened to have a 6.5 injector sitting around in my garage, so I swapped it in (since the the threads on the old one were so bunged up). After about 5 seconds of backfiring through the intake, it cleared up and ran smooth! It built up good oil pressure. When I pulled the fuel cutoff wire, it stayed running!! Oh noes! I didn't have any of the cooling system on it, so I went into panic mode. I pulled the fuel supply hose out of the gas can, but it kept running, I pinched the fuel return line on the top of the IP, but it kept running, so I grabbed a screwdriver and pulled the top off of the IP, that did the trick. The engine was still cool to the touch, so I know I didn't overheat anything.

My wife was filming the whole thing, so she has witnessed the fact that her husband isn't entirely crazy!

Attachments

superburban

The wifey shot 3 videos:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAeJtO1YFk[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hd_hZG7q1g[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aGeMKWVrU[/media]

kenz5380

This has been a great thread, thanks for that. I'm glad to hear your trip wasn't in vain. Hope your able to put those engines to good use.

superburban

Good news! I just sold the 6.5 engine! I made back my investment and have enough left over to take my wife out to a nice dinner. Plus I still have the 3 6.2's left!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks