• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting my deuce after 5 year storage

Bkoyle

I bought a M35A2 7 years ago, and loved it for the first two years I had it. As life would happen, 5 years ago I moved, and was not able to take my deuce with me. I last started my truck about 4 years ago, and has been sitting since. It has been sitting at a friend's house in the Mojave Desert. I now want to get it running so that I can use it. My question is this:

What do I need to do before I try to start it?

New batteries.
Change the oil, oil filter.
New fuel filters.
I looked at the fuel tank and the fuel does not look too bad.

What else would be a good idea before I try to start it?

Thanks,

Bruce

wsucougarx

I would definately start by changing out all the filters and changing the oil. Take a look in your fuel tank for water. After sitting that long, I'm sure you've got an accumulation of water in your fuel tank from condensation. May need to drain the tank and start with fresh fuel. If she has sat that long without being ran, I'm sure you're batteries are gonners. Once you get everything changed out, I would pull the intake mushroom off. Get in and try to start her up. If she starts to run away, put a piece of plywood or a 2x6 remnant over the intake hole to deprive her of O2.
Be sure to check the brakes really well before taking her out on the road.

Just remember, sitting for 4 years isn't uncommon for these trucks. In fact most have sat longer as they waited to be cycled out of the gov't system and onto GL.

Psywarrior

Pull the intake ducts/filter and make sure nothing has made a nest in there. No matter what, I would automatically replace the fuel with fresh. Diesel doesn't break down like mogas, but 5 years in the desert heat is harsh on any fuel.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And one of the most important things is to make sure that you have a camera handy so you can take a video clip of that first startup after five years. That way, we can all be there when she coughs to life again!

dozer1

If you wanted to wait untill you got it home to change the oil, you could turn out the drain plug and let out any water that has settled on the bottom. Be ready to get the plug back in when it is all motor oil. This is to be done before you crank it over at all.Then go home and change the oil after it gets good and warmed up.

A couple of obvious ones.

- Check tire pressures

- Check brake fluid

- coolant level

91W350

I am burning fuel in my deuces out of trucks we bought at Fort Riley. Some have been enginelsss since 1992. It looks horrible, black or dark brown in color. The deuces do not seem to care... It is about all I have run since July. I would check the oil, coolant, install new batteries and fire it up. Once running, I would let it run at 1000 rpm for a while and check for leaks. I would check the rest of the fluids and especially the brake hoses. Drive it around and check for leaks again. Glen

Speedwoble

Being as all of the oil has drained to the bottom of the pan, I would change the oil on the spot. Then, the process of refilling the oil will apply a little bit of oil to the valvetrain. Pull out the fuel cut-off and crank until you have oil pressure.

More unconventionally, You could also pull the injectors and squirt oil into the cylinders or loosen up the turbo oil feed and funnel oil into it, but I am not sure if the risks of leaks on these two steps would be worth the reward. You could also spray a marine type engine fogging oil in the intake while cranking, but there is a strong chance the engine would try to start and run on that.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I dunno about pulling the injectors to put oil in there, but pulling them to turn the motor over, to get oil pressure, isn't a bad idea. If it were me, I'd just start her up as is. Once you know she still runs, do the PMCS.

deathrowdave

I would just starter up as is !!! After she has reached operating temp , then PMCS. This will give junk in the crankcase time to evaporate from the crankcase. You knows how long mine was setting before purchased .

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ this. Just crank it with the FSO pulled out till you have OP then you're good to go. Alta Loma?? I wonder who is out that way? :p

91W350

I would hate to drain the oil, put in new filters, then find out she is leaking fuel into the crankcase. Fire her up and let her run for a while. If the oil looks good on the stick... if not , then you had other problems when you shut it off. Just my two cents worth.

cbvet

I've salvaged quite a few vehicles that have sat many years.
Look for any obvious damage.
Make sure oil & water are full.
Add some fresh fuel.
Jump it and run it!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with the "Start up up" crowd but with one caviat. Remove all plumbing and ducting before the turbo and check for obstructions. Bugs and whatnot tend to clog this stuff up. Secondly, remove the mushroom and have a piece of wood handy to plug that hole in the event of a runaway. Other than that, go over it and crank it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every one I start that has sat a long time; I pull the mushroom and have a 2x6 standing by in case of a runaway. Check to make sure intake etc are clear, check fluid levels, and start it up. Changing fluids after that wouldn't hurt either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks