• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting my "new M1009"

elfraz

I just got this thing home. I have charged the batteries. The thing cranks really well. The glow plug light does not light up when I turn on the key. The water in fuel light comes on though. I have cranked it for some time and I get a little diesel smoke from the exhaust which would indicate to me that it wants to fire. What is my next step to check if the glow plugs are heating even though the wait light does not light?

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

my glow plug "wait" light did not illuminate in my 1008 when I had the controller card removed while diagnosing glow plug issues....are you sure yours has a card? Thats also a good reason it doesn't start, as the system isn't a circuit.

l1a1man

Mine was the bottom fuse. Now I am onto the GP card.:cry: Little black box under the dash by the steering column.

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

Download the TM's and start reading. You can check if your GP card is really bad by bypassing the glow plug relay for about 20 seconds and then jumping in and trying to start it. If the card is bad, it may start right up. If it doesn't start, you may have other problems.

Next take the fuel filter off the firewall and dump the contents into a bucket and look for water. If you do have water, drain the tank and replace with clean fuel.

Sgt Hulka

Elfraz. The good news is you're going through what so many of us have gone through. Definitely bone up on the TMs in the resources section of SS and also check out the stickies and FAQs. You'll be glad you did. Welcome!

Crash_AF

If the glow plug system is disabled, a LITTLE ether won't hurt but don't go too heavy with it.

The glow plug controller is a little black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes to the left of the column under the dash. See post #7 in this thread for a pic of the box... if yours looks like this, your card is missing. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/40187-mystery-plug.html

Also make sure that there is a glow plug relay installed in the truck. It should be to the left (passenger's side) of the master cylinder with a bunch of wires attached to it. It looks sort of like a Ford starter solenoid. This post has a pic of a glow plug relay http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/43018-pricing-gpr-solenoid-aap-vs-napa.html

The 6.2 will not start when cold without the glow plugs. It's just the way the truck is. If you can get it to start on ether (remember, use sparingly...) it should start back up once warm without ether.

Good luck with it, make sure to post some pics of your new acquisition as we all love pics... LOL

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

Sgt Hulka

Hey. Slow down. There's a big sticker (or was) in your engine compartment that said "Don't ever use starting fluid." Some folks do use it, but I go with the engineers who spec'd and built the thing.

You're flying blind right now. There's something broken that will preclude starting. Before trying to start it again, please review the TMs and consult with the some of the senior guys on this board. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Use it. Patience!

elfraz

Well I got it started. I siphoned off 15 gal of old fuel. Then added 5 gallons of new fuel and yes I hit it with a little starting fluid and it fired up. I drove it around the block and then to the gas station to fill it up. This thing is so cool.

ida34

Hey. Slow down. There's a big sticker (or was) in your engine compartment that said "Don't ever use starting fluid." Some folks do use it, but I go with the engineers who spec'd and built the thing.

You're flying blind right now. There's something broken that will preclude starting. Before trying to start it again, please review the TMs and consult with the some of the senior guys on this board. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Use it. Patience!
The main problem with starting fluid has to do with the glow plugs. If the glow plugs are disabled and I mean you better be sure they are disabled, then a small amount of starting fluid is fine. You are much better off using pure silicone spray instead of starter fluid. If the starter fluids meets a hot glow plug then damage will, not may, occur.

Milkman357

6 months ago I was a Newbie

Start reading.
No question is stupid, but some folks get cranky if you dont SEARCH for an answer first.

Ether = Blown headgaskets. Possibly more. Folks still do it..and get by with no damage. WHY risk it? The 6.2 is a great engine, but not bullet proof.

WHAT! They didn't fill the tank with diesel before they turned it over to you!

Call your congressman and demand an apology! lol:grin:

Another fun post about newly turned over MV is....what did you find inside it?
M-16 clips seems pretty common. Loose ammo, condoms (don't ask don't tell?)

Did it have a spare?

Of course... THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!.... is always brought up.

Read read and read.

and don't think about bidding on a Trailer for your CUCV yet.... (I haven't gotten mine yet!)

elfraz

Thanks for all the tips. I have not found anything funky. There is a brand new GM window regulator in the glove box. I will post photos soon. I am proud of this thing. It is pretty much rust free and runs very well once I get it going.