• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starting without glow plugs?

CucvFML

Dead on the road in the middle of a 1200 mile trip. This morning the glow plugs didn't cycle. Is there any way to start a m1009 without using the glow plugs? Maybe the wd-40 trick or something, has anyone ever done anything like this?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I think you may have other issues at play here. I would think the truck should still start without the glow plugs. It's not that cold out yet. Unless you are in the great white north.

Whitfield

PO lit mine off today with the quickest sniff of start fluid :-? and glow plugs disabled. I'm hoping others will let me know if this is wrong as I'll be starting it on my own in 36 hrs.

Skinny

Why not just jumper the GP solenoid to ground which will get them turned on. Then just run around and crank it over. Shouldn't take more than a short piece of wire and a pocket knife. This is totally assuming that the solenoid and power supply works. If that is the case, substitute small piece of wire for large piece of wire :)

dstang97

beat me to it

do you have a bad card or bad relay. And you need glow plugs unless the motor is warmed up. If it is a bad card grab a piece of wire like 3 feet strip both ends. Turn the key to run then put one end of the wire to the blue wire on the relay then ground out the other end somewhere for 15 seconds then start your truck. if it is a bad relay bypass the relay.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plug card sends the ground to the relay. Pull the card, then determine which small terminal is hot, then ground the other one for 10 seconds and see if it starts. Good luck. I'm not a fan of starting fluid, too many problems.

Edit. Man i'm slow at typing.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PO lit mine off today with the quickest sniff of start fluid :-? and glow plugs disabled. I'm hoping others will let me know if this is wrong as I'll be starting it on my own in 36 hrs.
Using ether in a 22:1 high compression engine is asking for trouble. Broken pistons, broken rod other things can happen.

If the Glowplugs are enabled you can cause quite and explosion.

Here is a example of using ether in a diesel engine.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/94808-cucv-starter-fluid.html

lavarok

A little gas on a rag near the intake will work in a pinch when your glow plugs fail.

I stress a little and do not remove the air filter or housing. The last thing you want is a rag sucked into your intake.....

CucvFML

Card and relay are both bad. Im good untill friday, at that point i wont have enough money to stay or get home. Calling for high of 58 on friday.

kingchr

If the relay is bad, I would just get a piece of large wire (like 2 gauge or something) and strip both ends of a 3" piece, then jumper across the relay on the firewall... If the glowplugs themselves are good, that should turn them on and heat it up, like others have said a count of 15 should do it...

Good luck, please tell us how it turns out,
Christopher

WillowRun

Where are you at? I'm by Lansing (born and raised in Bay City) and I'm sure I could talk you through getting voltage to the GP's to at least get it started. All you'll need is about 4 feet of heavy gage wire. If you're anywhere close to down here I could come and give you a hand and bring a slave cable with me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not replace the bad relay(under $30), and use a temporary wire to ground the light blue wire to operate the GPs?(temporary manual operation of the relay)

wayne pick

Yea, a real bad practice. Perhaps PO has been starting it this way all along? Better find out. If the answer is yes, walk away from it.

Goose2448

I start my 7.3L everyday with out them. It will even fire off into the high 20s like that, it just takes a while, I generally let them cycle though. Its not going to hurt anything if you start with out them. It just might take a bit longer. Get home and see whats up. You have a good starting list.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
agree

HI GUY I agree with matt,about starting fluid but if you do try it make SURE you crank the engine as you give it a small amount. To mutch then cranking it can cause what I saw at a cal guard shop once,a dump trk that someone did that then when they cranked it over it blew the heads off the block.:shock::shock::shock::shock:

dependable

If you have even one glow plug working, you can do damage with either. Anyone who does not understand the system well enough to jump the red wire down to the orange ones on the glow plug solenoid probably does not know enough to make sure glow plug system is disabled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks