• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steel Soldiers MV of the month 2021 - July VOTE HERE!

Please vote for MVOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobra5

cobra5, most M38 & M38A1 distributors are made by Autolite. Mine is made by Superior Magneto Corp., but it looks identical to the Autolite units.
I was referring to your firing order. I have two A-1s in which one had its engine rebuilt and the other did not. The rebuilt one had its distributor installed per the manual that has the firing order incorrectly illustrated. The other jeep is wired correctly per the manual change that corrected the misprint. Anyways I discovered this when I was working on them to get running. They both run now but the rebuilt is 180 out like yours. It's just one of those things I look for when I see another A1.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Right, and the sieve/screen at the end of the exhaust pipe (last pic) prevents passing glowing soot from the diesel engine blowing into the wheel well from the plane. A savety feature.
Oh wow... I can imagine how exciting it would be to set the airplane on fire that you were towing with the tug.
THAT would be one for the record books. As the growing ball of fire follows you down the taxiway.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to your firing order. I have two A-1s in which one had its engine rebuilt and the other did not. The rebuilt one had its distributor installed per the manual that has the firing order incorrectly illustrated. The other jeep is wired correctly per the manual change that corrected the misprint. Anyways I discovered this when I was working on them to get running. They both run now but the rebuilt is 180 out like yours. It's just one of those things I look for when I see another A1.
cobra5, please forgive me. I've been working all week on a 1956 Studebaker Champion that had a small wiring harness fire, it's been kicking my behind and it's got me down for the count. :mad: Right now I could sure use a pint of Guyfangs Plum Schnapps. :cool:

Last edited:

cobra5

cobra5, please forgive me. I've been working all week on a 1956 Studebaker Champion that had a small wiring harness fire, it's been kicking my behind and it's got me down for the count. :mad: Right now I could sure use a pint of Guyfangs Plum Schnapps. :cool:
I know the feeling. I got both A-1s running and the restored one developed a leak in the radiator so I took it to the radiator shop and they quoted $845 to re-core it. I just fixed the coolant leaking from the exhaust manifold studs. So I was at a cross road of taking the radiator out of the other jeep and using it. After searching in vain for a take out, I decided to just take it out of the other jeep. Took me 4 hours to comb out the cooling fins and then installed it and flushed the jeep. To my surprise the radiator didn't leak but noticed blue smoke from the exhaust and the exhaust manifold connection at the exhaust pipe was spitting oil. So now I'm going to do an oil change first because and then drive it a bit and see if anything changes. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be changing the intake valve seals. The other jeep ran real good but it must have been a ranch beater cause its rough but at least it doesn't smoke :roll:. So now I have a smoker and a non runner again aua

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the feeling. I got both A-1s running and the restored one developed a leak in the radiator so I took it to the radiator shop and they quoted $845 to re-core it. I just fixed the coolant leaking from the exhaust manifold studs. So I was at a cross road of taking the radiator out of the other jeep and using it. After searching in vain for a take out, I decided to just take it out of the other jeep. Took me 4 hours to comb out the cooling fins and then installed it and flushed the jeep. To my surprise the radiator didn't leak but noticed blue smoke from the exhaust and the exhaust manifold connection at the exhaust pipe was spitting oil. So now I'm going to do an oil change first because and then drive it a bit and see if anything changes. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be changing the intake valve seals. The other jeep ran real good but it must have been a ranch beater cause its rough but at least it doesn't smoke :roll:. So now I have a smoker and a non runner again aua
Ah Yes, coolant from the exhaust manifold studs.

Migginsbros

Good Morning to you all MV Enthusiasts.

406.145 tug has an extra heater system under the rear bench. It run with diesel . You can preheat the engine coolant and you can heat the cabin. All without running the engine.
Thats fine if you have to wait for the next task at cold weather.

IMG_6276.jpg

IMG_6254.jpg

IMG_6253.jpg

campain 406.145 027.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

Migginsbros

I will try with a cold one now.Hope it works. I´ve no magig potion from Guyfang, yet. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a soft spot for M52A1 & M54A1 trucks with the Mack ENDT engine, and I just Love MPRamsey's M54A1. This contest was hard fought to a tie, and I don't know if I have enough time or energy left for another round of competition. Also, having worked in Aerospace for many years, I also have a real soft spot for Aircraft Tugs. There was some great campaigning this month, you guys wore me out!! As I mentioned in an above post, I am working on a 1956 Studebaker for an old-old friend who is a paraplegic, and it's really got me over a barrel. This job just came up early this week, so come Monday I need to roll up my sleeves and get back at it. This is up to PB, but if he doesn't mind, I'd like to give my vote to the Migginsbros, and that would make it 15 to 15. I'd just like to see two competitors who have the time and energy to campaign, and do it like it should be done. Also, I am pleased that so many voters liked our M38A1. I have put a lot of work into it. My Wife Loves it, and along with our Dog, it's like having another family member. Many Thanks to all entrants, and those members who took the time to vote!! (y) PS I'd like to have a cold one but I'm all out. :(

Last edited:

pmramsey

I must admit that I was hung up between the Tug, Jeep, and my old M54A1. All of which would be a pleasure to own, nurture, and pass on for others to enjoy. I was especially drawn to the Aircraft Tug. For 30 years, I was the slum landlord at our regional airport having built a hundred or so aircraft hangars there in the mid-1980s. I would have stood on my head on the tarmac spitting wooden nickels if I could have used such a tug during those years. Sweeping, pushing snow, or towing the heavier stuff in a skid-steer or some old vanilla tug is just plain boring in comparison. From my perspective, it is a fine piece of versatile machinery indeed. This month was fun. I may have been inspired to do it again in the near future with another one of my Emotional Support Vehicles.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must admit that I was hung up between the Tug, Jeep, and my old M54A1. All of which would be a pleasure to own, nurture, and pass on for others to enjoy. I was especially drawn to the Aircraft Tug. For 30 years, I was the slum landlord at our regional airport having built a hundred or so aircraft hangars there in the mid-1980s. I would have stood on my head on the tarmac spitting wooden nickels if I could have used such a tug during those years. Sweeping, pushing snow, or towing the heavier stuff in a skid-steer or some old vanilla tug is just plain boring in comparison. From my perspective, it is a fine piece of versatile machinery indeed. This month was fun. I may have been inspired to do it again in the near future with another one of my Emotional Support Vehicles.
Emotional Support Vehicles..........Yes!! [thumbzup]

Migginsbros

Poll is open again. :jumpin: Patracy, this was a wise decicion.(y) This will solve the problem. So another handfull of voters have the chance to change it to a clear winner.
We wish you all a peacefull Sunday and a good start to a busy week ahead.

First of all................Have Fun to your hobby.😎😎 Migginsbros

camerabilder canon bis 15.01.2012 140.jpg

Last edited:

Migginsbros

Tracer and his M38A1 managed it this month. Congrats to this well deserved win. 🏆

Thank´s to all participants and voters.

Nomination thread for MV of August is still open.

Be curious about members military vehicles.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe we should reopen this poll and see if one of the 22 other truck voters wants to change there vote to tie it up again? Since we can change the rules when ever. Faceoff
Nooo. I'm sure Papa Bear would like to get the August MV of the month rolling. I would like to take a moment to thank all entrants and those that voted, not just for the M38A1, but for all of the fine vehicles entered this month. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks