• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering wheel bolt size...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would be really surprised at how easy it is to stitch leather that thin and they have really cheap kits on amazon ! You could sew a steering wheel up in a couple of evenings winding down at the kitchen table i made a couple of holsters with 1/4 in thick leather and sinue is a lot harder cause of having to push the kneedle thru so much but the thin would be a breeze just a little time !https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...7iA8LuBAxUJK0QIHWYaBfwQ9aACKAB6BAgCEEA&adurl=81tW+s5SFvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
09-1500172-1_l__88768.jpghttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwis9YK58ruBAxWVMdQBHQ5lC38YABAOGgJvYQ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrPWCufK7gQMVlTHUAR0OZQt_EAQYBCABEgKvJ_D_BwE&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJuRoGH73WQPiZ-PL_YBzK7IwZJi2KGTEiCf9anP3lxgxMdsRDV80&sig=AOD64_1lw4JDiWb73m49rJY2vzYU-JfiSQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiegPq48ruBAxVVlGoFHWiNAxQQ9aACKAB6BAgCECk&adurl=

Third From Texas

You would be really surprised at how easy it is to stitch leather that thin and they have really cheap kits on amazon ! You could sew a steering wheel up in a couple of evenings winding down at the kitchen table i made a couple of holsters with 1/4 in thick leather and sinue is a lot harder cause of having to push the kneedle thru so much but the thin would be a breeze just a little time !https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...7iA8LuBAxUJK0QIHWYaBfwQ9aACKAB6BAgCEEA&adurl=View attachment 906421
I think you grossly underestimate my ability to screw stuff like this up.

I'm good at function, but not so much at form. I mean, it would still work for turning the truck but it would be a Frankinwheel.

LOL

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 906422https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwis9YK58ruBAxWVMdQBHQ5lC38YABAOGgJvYQ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrPWCufK7gQMVlTHUAR0OZQt_EAQYBCABEgKvJ_D_BwE&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJuRoGH73WQPiZ-PL_YBzK7IwZJi2KGTEiCf9anP3lxgxMdsRDV80&sig=AOD64_1lw4JDiWb73m49rJY2vzYU-JfiSQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiegPq48ruBAxVVlGoFHWiNAxQQ9aACKAB6BAgCECk&adurl=
I see these "wood" abominations regularly on hot rods and resto-mods that come through my shop. Without fail they look like an absolute dumpster fire in a few years. Highly inappropriate for anything you are going to drive without white gloves and keep in a garage. They scratch and chip and get cloudy sometimes..... not gonna work on an army truck.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well since there is no definitive answer ....... drive to hardward store and try some bolts..... and or buy a thread guage

Report back what you find. Will take ya all of 5w minutes to get your answer most likely
I already own thread gauges and a mill and pretty much every other tool known to man. Problem is that I don’t have the truck yet. Picking it up in Maryland and driving it back to California the first week of October.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already own thread gauges and a mill and pretty much every other tool known to man. Problem is that I don’t have the truck yet. Picking it up in Maryland and driving it back to California the first week of October.
Why not simplify the operation and just drive it with the factory wheel and swap it when you get home? You may not want to swap it after some experience.

In military terms what you are doing is called a "Recovery Mission". This is where you get the unit back to base and all bets are off as to how that happens. "Field Expedient" is the expression we use. Quick and dirty is the name of the game. If it is stupid and works then is it really stupid? That kind of thing. You'll be much more worried about the absentee defrost function (garbage without the AC console) in October than how the steering wheel feels or looks. Especially when you can't see and your ass cheeks are are so numb from the garbage seats that you can't tell how much pucker factor you are running due to the visibility and the ENORMOUS blind spot just forward of the passenger front wheel..... if you aren't running with a co-driver get a blind spot camera. I had a co-driver and still almost squished a VW GTI in Arizona......

Spend the hour that you would have spent swapping the steering wheel doing more maintenance. That's a long ass drive - considerably longer than my drive home from Houston to Portland with my 2008 and luckily I got home before my air compressor ventilated a piston. Might not have happened if I serviced the air dryer before I departed but then again how much of the damage was already done with the truck having been driven 750 miles (at least) with a 2008 dryer cartridge before I owned it? I got within 100 miles of home and started having problems building air pressure - luckily it would *just* get enough pressure built up once you got the turbo spooled (compressor intake uses charge air from the engine intake) and I made it back to my shop. Compressor completely let go a few days later and I was down for 4 weeks getting a core to have rebuilt and that was luckily through a reputable local air brake shop that specializes in this stuff - several members here have used their services but had to ship their compressor. They had to find a core since my crankshaft snapped off and the only core they could find was ironically in Texas where I had just come from.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I see these "wood" abominations regularly on hot rods and resto-mods that come through my shop. Without fail they look like an absolute dumpster fire in a few years. Highly inappropriate for anything you are going to drive without white gloves and keep in a garage. They scratch and chip and get cloudy sometimes..... not gonna work on an army truck.
Had a guy I went to high school with that had a crash. Wooden aftermarket wheel on his car. Broken wood with splinters in his gut and chest made me a believer in having a factory wheel... My buddy is even more hard core about keeping his plastic and steel in his vehicles!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i just thought i would take it from diy to really nice custom bolt on steering wheel with the 400 dollar difference in price and yall make up your own mind ! I see no reason to change the factory steering wheel it cleans up nice enough for what its mounted in ! Its like putting a Bentley Azure steering wheel in a dump truck but i do applaud fresh ideas even if they dont suit my taste !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks