• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steering wheel bolt size...

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
before I break out the plasma cutter with a C4 chaser because throwing F Bombs at the wheel isn't helping...20210929_120017.jpg what is this bolt size?

thanks all

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve been looking for an OEM style that would match that steering wheel but with leather. Anyone come across such a thing?

coachgeo

Keith Knight said:
I’ve been looking for an OEM style that would match that steering wheel but with leather. Anyone come across such a thing?
yeah / sorta a fellow has a leather steer wheel cover for the OEM steering wheel now. Just saw it recently bu dont recall where

Third From Texas

I've toyed with the idea of a FL wheel (I want the cruise switches, horn, and a mic key switch and the center piece on the Cascadia would be perfect for my plans).

I'm hesitant to go with the smaller diameter after hearing some feedback, though.

There's a reason big trucks have big wheels.

If your p/s ever goes out on a trail, every inch in diameter is gold and that's a noticeable drop in leverage down to an 18" wheel in any event.

The modder/fabricator in me would really like to replace the entire column with something that has actual tilt and tele.

Pretty sure I'll skip the airbags, though. LOL

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've toyed with the idea of a FL wheel (I want the cruise switches, horn, and a mic key switch and the center piece on the Cascadia would be perfect for my plans).

I'm hesitant to go with the smaller diameter after hearing some feedback, though.

There's a reason big trucks have big wheels.

If your p/s ever goes out on a trail, every inch in diameter is gold and that's a noticeable drop in leverage down to an 18" wheel in any event.

The modder/fabricator in me would really like to replace the entire column with something that has actual tilt and tele.

Pretty sure I'll skip the airbags, though. LOL
Maybe you can fancy up your steering wheel like you said. And go small if you want to.

If everything goes bad and you loose power steering, you could attach your custom made "club" to the wheel and drive on - but don't turn too tightly.

TheClub.jpg

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread, I know, but does anyone know what size and thread pitch that is in the wheel. In the Dorman it's an M8.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread, I know, but does anyone know what size and thread pitch that is in the wheel. In the Dorman it's an M8.
I don't know for sure but it's likely metric and so probably the same since the stock wheel is really just a Steyr wheel from Germany.

I'm honestly with Third on this one though. I wouldn't go down in steering wheel diameter. Even for a big dude like myself - I like to be able to one hand palm the wheel around and I can with the stock wheel - but only just. To the point that sometimes I two-hand it anyway and sometimes the wheel will slip on my palm. The Freightliner wheel is dealing with smaller diameter and thinner tires which have less friction with the ground. This becomes especially noticeable when you air down and have even larger contact patch...... No I wouldn't want a smaller diameter wheel. And honestly the factory wheel is just fine in terms of function - if anything it's more functional due to it's diameter and thus more leverage. I guess some might feel it is ugly but I'm driving the truck see out the windows not look at the damn steering wheel. And I prefer the military aesthetic personally. I can throw on an ACU cap and a brown t-shirt and the stormtroopers aren't sure what to make of me and that makes everyone else an easier target.

IMMI makes wheels for transportation and busses, etc. High quality one's at that. I would see what they could offer. They make the special steering wheels that Acela puts in their trucks.

Something like this leather wrapped 20" IMMI wheel if you could get the right hub, etc:

The A1P2 FMTV's definitely are using an IMMI BK Series wheel. But they also have a COMPLETLY different column assembly so I'm not sure if they are spline compatible. Clearly IMMI can build wheels with the correct hub though since they do so for Acela.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Well since there is no definitive answer ....... drive to hardward store and try some bolts..... and or buy a thread guage

Report back what you find. Will take ya all of 5w minutes to get your answer most likely

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks