• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stencils, solar charger & gas tank mounts

m139h2otruck

Added some stencils to the H2O truck, but not real happy with how they look. Tough to get the stencil to stay flat on the panel so the spray paint won't fog around the letters.

Picture of solar charger mounted on flasher pipe and two photos of the gas can mounts (with one German made can!). Can mount on right side has hinge and release bolts so you can open side door.

Attachments

m38inmaine

3M makes a spray adhesive that works great, just spray it on the stencil and it will prevent the overspray. You can get it at hobby/craft stores. I found paint mask stencils do a much better job but they are a one shot deal.

Jones

Before you start tearing out your hair just remember; a lot of GIs in the field have the same problem. Don't over-restore is what I was once told and it seems true especially if "authenticity" is your goal. Most stuff in the field doesn't look like it's museum-grade, they just look like working trucks.
If stencils not cooperating is a real problem, try this motor pool trick; cut some holes (1/2" will do nicely) around and through the field of your stencil. Put small pieces of masking tape over the hole and when you position your stencil, push the masking tape into the holes and it'll stick the stencil down while you spray. Kinda like tape "thumb tacks".

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Leonard.

I usually put a glove on and just press down on the stencil as I go. :)
Like the idea of a glue, though, especially for a curved surface.

m139h2otruck

Thanks for the suggestions. The temp. glue fix sounds like the right one to use. Will check the hobby/craft stores for this stuff.

I am not really trying to get a perfect look for the truck, since we do use it on the job, but my son is a paint neat freak and he hates to see the over spray. He deserves the credit for how the overall truck looks, after spending nearly two solid weeks straight sanding and priming the thing. There had to be nearly 20 pounds of paint sanded off the truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Where can one get a setup like this, or is it fabbed up at home?
You use the hinge that the toolbox door on the left side uses. Look carefully at his pic and then go look at your toolbox door.

I have seen one or two trucks like this on GL, but it's definitely home-made/field-mod.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
yeah, but what holds it in place?
I haven't seen how the military is doing it (the GL pics obviously had no detail shots of that feature) but I am going to engineer some kind of quick release clasp for mine so that you can pull the gerry can off and swing the bracket over quickly and without tools.

I suppose if you didn't want to put some kind of a clasp/pin setup on it, a single bolt/nut through the bottom would suffice.

It might even be possible to cut a slot in the bottom of the bracket and the running board and feed the strap through there and use it to hold down the bracket.

m139h2otruck

The right side gas can holder is a factory piece. Just picked up the kit 3-11-07 at the Lowell show. Even got the blue print copy for the installation. Shows it installed on either a M35 or a 5 Ton right side step. Paperwork references some type of de-con unit use.

Can holder looks to be a standard unit, with a hinge welded to the front. Hinge bolts through the edge of the step, requiring a spacer for the M35. You drill and screw in two sets of quick disconnects like the dash panel uses, with two quick screws down through the can holder. After looking at everything, it would be real easy to make a duplicate using a spare can holder, a heavy hinge from the hardware store and some type of quarter turn screw like the drag racers use. Will try to get some close-up photos this weekend.

SierraHotel

I am in need of the glue (doing a POW-MIA logo on door)...but even without it, that truck looks sharp! I am also curious about the right side hinged holder. I was just going to mount one on the cargo racks, but the hinged one might be better.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The right side gas can holder is a factory piece. Just picked up the kit 3-11-07 at the Lowell show. Even got the blue print copy for the installation. Shows it installed on either a M35 or a 5 Ton right side step. Paperwork references some type of de-con unit use.

Can holder looks to be a standard unit, with a hinge welded to the front. Hinge bolts through the edge of the step, requiring a spacer for the M35. You drill and screw in two sets of quick disconnects like the dash panel uses, with two quick screws down through the can holder. After looking at everything, it would be real easy to make a duplicate using a spare can holder, a heavy hinge from the hardware store and some type of quarter turn screw like the drag racers use. Will try to get some close-up photos this weekend.

Ah, how embarassing. I stand corrected. :oops:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks